Quiting the Soda!!! any suggestions??

Options
13»

Replies

• livnlite
    Options
    I dont drink soda, but I do like pop. I mostly drink iced tea now.

I thought soda=pop?

FYI: Soda and Pop are the same thing. It's actually called "Soda Pop" (carbonated soft drink)

If your goal is to become healthy or to at least reserve yourself to making healthier choices .. Don't be fooled into thinking that diet soda is a good replacement. It's not.

Don't take my word for it .. Just look up the ill effects of artificial sweeteners. Aspartame is deadly if taken in large quantities. Choosing empty calories is NOT even on the list of healthy choices for calorie intake .. Kick the habit and move on to something that your body can actually 'use' .. instead of your need for sweet gratification. For some of us .. THAT is the culprit that got us into this predicament in the first place.

Think in terms of the sugar content .. THat may help swade you to kick that habit.

Sugar Content of Cola / Pop / Soda / Drinks
    Sugar Content per ** 12oz ** can
    •7Up (Cadbury Schweppes) = 39 grams = 1.38 oz = 11.50%
    •Coca-Cola Classic = 41 grams = 1.44 oz = 12 %
    •Dr Pepper (Cadbury Schweppes) = 40 grams 1.41 oz = 11.75%
    •Minute Maid Orange Soda (Coca-Cola Co.) = 48 grams = 1.69 oz = 14.08%
    •Mountain Dew (PepsiCo) = 46 grams = 1.62 oz = 13.50 %
    •Pepsi = 41 grams = 1.44 oz = 12 %
    •Sprite (Coca-Cola Co.) = 38 grams = 1.34 oz = 11.17 %

1 gram = 0.0352739619 ounces

The Facts
    A 12-oz. can of Coca-Cola Classic contains 41 g of sugars, according to the Harvard School of Public Health, or HSPH. A teaspoon is equivalent to 4.2 g of sugar, according to the HSPH. This means that a can of coke contains about 10 tsp. of sugar per can. The HSPH labels Coke as a drink that you should only consume sparingly and infrequently because of the relatively high sugar content.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/283136-how-many-teaspoons-of-sugar-are-there-in-a-can-of-coke/#ixzz1XrppQILe
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I reduced what I was drinking so that I only had one if I had a headache and then I quit. It's hard but worth it. I feel so much better. Glad I did it. I you switch to diet beware, Aspertame is a appetite stimulant. swiich and then wean yourself off quickly.
  • gfbrummer
    gfbrummer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Your going to have t just tough it out probably. Maybe gets some advil for the headaches. I wouldn't switch to the diet sodas. There have been many articles lately saying that they are just as bad for you as regular soda if not worse. I had to just stop one day and choose not to do them again. 3 years later I believe inhale had 1 soda by accident(damn drive through). Hope this helps.
  • pat2552
    Options
    Try Crystal Light. I mix Ice tea with Orange! Lot's of great flavors!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey kind of sucks because the headaches can be pretty horrible for three or more days. I have kicked my caffeine habit twice and am back on caffeine again. I love coffee too much to give it up. Anyways, I would suggest lowering the amount of caffeine that you consume every day until you wean yourself off.
  • laurad1406
    Options
    I was addicted to Diet Coke, so I don't know that I would recommend trying to use that as a replacement...I suppose Diet Dew is "better" than regular, but I what worked for me was quitting cold turkey....and will power, just like others said! It is seriously tough, I quick smoking back in December and quitting soda in May was MUCH harder, but don't get discouraged!! And be prepared, I had a horrible headache for about 3 days but I chugged water religiously, now I feel a million times better! And I RARELY get a headache anymore!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I would say Tea - especially green tea! If you don't like the bitterness, there are delicious herbal teas that taste sweet and would be a good alternative. Green tea has the caffeine, though, so you could check out the flavored green teas.
  • buckaroos30
    buckaroos30 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking diet cokes cold turkey after 20 yrs of drinking them to much of the time. I did add some ice tea to get the caffine. But I still had a terrible headache for a week. After the second week all the craving and the headaches where over. It will be worth it in the long run. is a lifetime worth two weeks to you?
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Diet soda or black coffee to handle the caffeine withdrawal symptoms. If you think you're tough enough, you can also try going cold turkey and just drink water.

naa forget about old turkey or cold turkey I would go with Wild Turkey
  • blarics11
    Options
    Well I drank my last can this morning so it's old turkey for me LOL! I got some propel zero flavored water and i have been chugging it all day. I'm sure I can kick it, Just gotta make it through the next 2-3 days :noway: Thanks everyone for the feedback :heart:
  • hillberrify
    Options
    Crystal Light has a couple "energy" flavors that have caffeine in them, this might help with the lack of caffeine. I've been drinking those instead of my morning vanilla latte.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm liking the low carb and zero carb monster energy drinks. They seem to be made with good quality stuff. Especially comparing them to regular and diet sodas.