Why can't I commit for life?! - Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    My husband has never struggled with his weight, and loves to snack.

We have a deal, he buys what he wants, and then keeps it somewhere I can't see it. Sometimes I know where it is, but if I can't see it, it doesn't call to me. For ice cream etc. he buys flavors I don't care for. I hate dark chocolate, so he buys a lot of cookies/ice cream with dark chocolate.

You can't make him change, so come up with strategies that you can live with. Give him a box and tell him to keep his snacks there, away from you.

As for exercise, don't view it as 'I need an hour to exercise'. Do pushups (or burpees, or whatever you fitness level permits) while stuff is boiling/in the microwave. Keep weights near your desk, do some curls when you need a mental break.

There's a great thread on this site about increasing NEAT. NEAT is much more important than an hour of exercise, so find ways to move a little more. Worry about exercise later.

Might be this one?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • Ara_the_halfelven
    Ara_the_halfelven Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been in a similar position, your problem seems to be you're a perfectionist. We all have off-days (or weeks), but you need to accept it, forgive yourself, and get right back to doing what was working so well for you before. Most importantly, never allow an off-day to continue and stretch out to an off-week/month/year.
    It is a problem that you need to keep treats for the rest of the family that you can't eat, but you could arrange for them to be kept in a separate cupboard that you don't have to use, and keep some low-calorie treats around for emergencies - and remember to leave yourself some leeway in your diet so you don't end up feeling guilty for snacking a bit.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Committing to a lifelong practice does not mean you will never have setbacks...

And it's very much a practice... You get better at it and it gets easier with time...