Covid changed my taste, need ideas!

Options
I caught covid back in December and my taste still isn't 100% back to normal and it makes it very hard to eat sometimes.
However I can taste sweet things really well. What are some suggestions of foods/meals that have a sweetness to them while still being a healthy option?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Oven roasting vegetables can bring out their sweetness, especially root vegetables, but also pumpkin for example.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Caramelized onions - slow-cook in a heavy skillet with just a minimum of olive or other good oil until soft and brown, use in sauces, soups, stews, or even combine with vinegars as a dressing. Prunes or dates - to eat, or cut up/pureed into things. Pretty much any sweet fruit, and you can use them in savory dishes. Apples in curries are a classic, for example.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    My garden is producing strawberries right now, and I am eating them like crazy. Lots of sweetness for few calories!

When I do have a high calorie dessert, I also have a few ounces of berries with it - this lets me feel satisfied with a smaller portion of the calorie bomb.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I had the tick-borne illness Anaplasmosis last month and noticed a few changes in my tastes, which went away shortly after started antibiotics.

First of all, my appetite plummeted. I didn't log several days, but one day I did and only grossed 744 calories. The last time that has happened was...never.

The next thing is what this thread reminded me of - I lost interest in chocolate (again, has never happened before) but was really loving fruit cups, especially the juice.)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    I second @AnnPT77 on caramelized onions.

However, my method is to put a scant amount of olive oil at the bottom the rice cooker or slow cooker. Top with 6-8 thinly sliced onions (halve and use the slicing blade of the food processor if you want to do this tear free). Turn the machine on for about 4-5 hours, stirring every hour or so. If the finished product looks too wet or too blonde, continue to cook with the lid off for a while. Freeze in silicon muffin tins or ice cube trays, transferring to a ziplock bag once frozen. Makes it easy to add caramelized onion to whatever you are cooking.

Using the rice cooker or slow cooker turns a recipe that normally calls for an hour of standing and stirring into a turn it on and forget about it recipe.
  • Kabootom
    Kabootom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am surprised that it took 1 year to reinstate the taste buds yet not fully recovered, might be there is some other deficiency of iron or other vitamin, you should consult a doctor now.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Red peppers are pretty sweet, raw or cooked. Depending on the recipe, braised red cabbage can be sweet - especially with apples and either allspice or cloves.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,978 Member
    Options
    Another vote for red peppers and caramelized onions. I'll also add sauteed mushrooms and a splash of teriyaki sauce.

My son lost his ability to taste salt, so has been substituting other spices from my spice rack on his food to compensate... lemon pepper is his current favorite.
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Caught it in January and I still can't taste some things (specifically, peanuts and whatever makes Pad Thai taste good. It's tragic since those were some of my favorite things). Yellow squash and zucchini are some of my favorite things right now, along with bell peppers. Actually I think sauteed bell peppers and onions taste better now than they used to.