Thin Guy Looking To Gain Muscle

Options

Replies

• Blue1516
    Blue1516 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information, everyone.

Just in this above thread alone, there's a lot of varying information and it can get a bit overwhelming trying to figure it all out.

In the "best for you" post I'm gravitating towards the M&S routines. I feel good that I'm already doing a number of those individual sets already. Now I just have to hone them.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Just in this above thread alone, there's a lot of varying information and it can get a bit overwhelming trying to figure it all out.
    Welcome to paralysis by analysis.
  • Blue1516
    Options
    I've gone through the best for you programs and I'm going to go with the M&S Dumbbell Only Home Full Body Workout. I have not been taking my current dumbbell routines to near failure each time, so I need to start doing that with the M&S routine.

I will add one more meal per day and not go directly to 3000 calories. I'll monitor it week to week and see how it goes.

And for the workouts, I'm going to increase reps when necessary instead of buying progressively heavier dumbbells.

I should say again my goal is not the upper end of the muscle scale, I want to land in the moderate section.

Any input or adjustments?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Another way to increase intensity without reps increasing and potentially moving towards a cardio workout level - go slow.

You slow it down, increase Time Under Tension, and you may need to back off the reps actually.

https://youtu.be/h63JTsVdntw

Also pay attention to a workout being for strength or muscle gain (hypertrophy). Usually more volume for gain, so rep increase not too bad.

That video gives good compare - which body type - Jesse or Jeff?

• Blue1516
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Another way to increase intensity without reps increasing and potentially moving towards a cardio workout level - go slow.

You slow it down, increase Time Under Tension, and you may need to back off the reps actually.

Also pay attention to a workout being for strength or muscle gain (hypertrophy). Usually more volume for gain, so rep increase not too bad.

This is great, thank you. Time Under Tension.

If you're asking me definitely closer to Jesse!
  • heybales
    Options
    Blue1516 wrote: »

If you're asking me definitely closer to Jesse!

You stated a goal landing in moderate section - so if that is Jesse that shouldn't be a hard goal at all.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    If you are looking at a rep progression instead of weight increase have a read of the AllPro programme (it can be done with dumbbells) to give you guidance on progression and deloads.

Cheers, h.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    It’s definitely easy to get bogged down in the minutiae trying to figure out what’s optimal. IMO, consistency is the biggest key, this is what 6 years of lifting and giving a hoot about nutrition did for me.

7o97zurhp7fv.jpeg

I’m about 6 lbs heavier on the right but a whole lot leaner and stronger than when I started (18% to 11% BF if my metrics are valid).

Of course, just showing up isn’t everything and that might not look all that impressive for six years but I feel way healthier, stronger, and more comfortable in my own skin at 32 than ever before.
  • Blue1516
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    It’s definitely easy to get bogged down in the minutiae trying to figure out what’s optimal. IMO, consistency is the biggest key, this is what 6 years of lifting and giving a hoot about nutrition did for me.

Of course, just showing up isn’t everything and that might not look all that impressive for six years but I feel way healthier, stronger, and more comfortable in my own skin at 32 than ever before.

That's very impressive progression! Are you working out in the gym or at home?
  • steveko89
    edited June 2021
    Options

That's very impressive progression! Are you working out in the gym or at home?

At home exclusively, though with a thoroughly outfitted home gym. I did a bunch of random p90x-type workouts with adjustable dumbbells and a cheap Amazon bench 2012-mid-2015. Bought my first barbell/plates July of ‘15 and got serious about adding muscle and strength (concurrent to first picture). I’m fortunate to have pretty adequate space and funds to allocate to whatever I really want/need equipment-wise.

Here’s a gif from a recent bench PR to give you and idea. Not pictured is an incline bench, pulley tower, dumbbells, treadmill, and rower.

bpy5q4be2lb7.jpeg

• Blue1516
    Options

bpy5q4be2lb7.jpeg

Definitely a "home gym". Quite a bit more advanced than my only two sets of dumbbells!

Your work has paid off and it shows. What was your first year or two like?
  • steveko89
    Options
    Here’s a decent idea what the overall progression looked like. I’m not the best at taking pictures consistently.

ryn3j1ejwen1.jpeg

Top:
    dates - 7/6/2015, 9/21/2015, 10/4/2016
    Weights/BF% - 168/18%, 177/17.5%, 174/16%
    Bottom:
    Dates - 9/14/2018, 8/1/2020, 6/16/2021
    Weights/BF% - 179/13%, 173/12%, 174/11%

So the biggest jump was in those first three months of barbell training. I tried some different things but primarily trained full body 3x/week. Probably gained weight a little too quickly. November-December 2016 I was having some lower back pain and was diagnosed with lumbar facet arthritis. Being self-taught on form, every cue I saw talked about avoiding rounding the upper back on deadlifts but didn’t caution against hyperextending the lower back. Took a month off lifting entirely and pain went away. I now DL with better form and manage my volume more appropriately so no issues there. 2017 was interesting for a variety of reasons. Coming off the back injury I eased into things to start the year and spun my wheels trying to get leaner while eating way too much listening to a HR monitor and eating back all my exercise calories. I maintained just under 180 until July, then switched to a TDEE approach to setting my calories and started to drop weight really successfully down to a low of 170 in 4/2018. However, I had a pretty severe pec strain or maybe even a partial tear in the late fall of 2017 which put my bench progress back for a good while and was frustrating to rehab from. I’m also an idiot and never saw any medical professional about it.. don’t do that. 2018 was also pretty interesting in that my wife had our first child in December of 2018 so a lot of late 2018 and most of 2019 was spent just treading water on less than ideal sleep and nutrition. 2020 similarly saw me start the year unhappy with my body composition in the high 170s. I was privileged to be able to both work and workout from home without interruption through the teeth of covid lockdowns and probably had my best stretch of training over the past 18 months or so. I hit a bench PR (300lbs) in April, matched a lifetime DL PR (400) in May and have improved my hip and ankle mobility to better my squat depth and overall movement mechanics. I also started listening to the RP strength podcast and reading their free resources on their website. Subsequently, I’ve implemented things they suggest in training and diet and have found improvements in both. I’d also highly recommend following Squat University on Instagram and/or checking out their website for a ton of good movement, mobility, rehab/prehab stuff.

Aside from the measurable and visual progress, my mental health is immensely better. I’m sure some of it comes with age (going from 26-32) but lifting and fitness has really become a cornerstone activity for me. Lifting first thing in the morning has become almost spiritual and helps center me for the day ahead. I find I’m more confident, resilient, and mentally tougher. Having battled with imposter syndrome and anxiety in the past, these are all welcomed improvements and have helped my personal and professional relationships thrive.
  • Blue1516
    Options
    Aside from the measurable and visual progress, my mental health is immensely better. I’m sure some of it comes with age (going from 26-32) but lifting and fitness has really become a cornerstone activity for me. Lifting first thing in the morning has become almost spiritual and helps center me for the day ahead. I find I’m more confident, resilient, and mentally tougher. Having battled with imposter syndrome and anxiety in the past, these are all welcomed improvements and have helped my personal and professional relationships thrive.

I can understand how it helped you in many ways. That's great.

And the pics are a really good visual progression, thanks!

I really focused on TUT for yesterday's dumbbells and I felt it differently, good differently. I'll be moving to the M&S routine shortly, once I get my food change in order.

This is quite the learning process and I'm very grateful for all the advice here from everyone.
  • Blue1516
    Options
    I started the M&S routine this week and I'm unsure if it's right for me.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

I believe there only one set for chest. Is working those muscles only one day a week sufficient?

I'm thinking I need to put together my own routine. I just don't know how often an area should be worked out? Once a week, twice?
  • heybales
    Options
    I started the M&S routine this week and I'm unsure if it's right for me.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

I believe there only one set for chest. Is working those muscles only one day a week sufficient?

I'm thinking I need to put together my own routine. I just don't know how often an area should be worked out? Once a week, twice?

2 days for the chest in there actually.

Otherwise no, 1 x weekly would be a bro routine, based on ideas appropriate for experienced lifter.

3 x weekly as beginner.
  • Blue1516
    Options
    2 days for the chest in there actually.

Otherwise no, 1 x weekly would be a bro routine, based on ideas appropriate for experienced lifter.

3 x weekly as beginner.

Missed that second one! Ok. 3x a week. Thanks.
  • Blue1516
    Options
    What kind of muscle gain, on average, should one expect to know they're heading in the right direction?

I've been at this for just over 6 months now. The first 5 months were really learning and honing. The last 4 weeks I've been on, what I consider, my most effective routine so far. 3x a week, targeting the same muscle groups each day, lots of time under tension, reaching failure, and making sure to keep my calories and protein up as best I can.

I've been rollercoastering between this two-pound area for the last few weeks (at the bottom of that right now). I can see my muscles are slightly growing, but I need to add a lot of mass to even get to "average", and then grow above that.

So what should I generally expect to know if this routine is actually doing something?
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    An average guy who is a beginner can gain up to 1-2 lbs of muscle in a month, depending on various factors. Keep in mind that visually there are two methods for better visualization of muscles: from more muscle or lose the fact that covers it. If you want objective progress you can measure, I think tracking the amount you lift is a good measure.
  • Blue1516
    edited August 2021
    Options
    An average guy who is a beginner can gain up to 1-2 lbs of muscle in a month, depending on various factors. Keep in mind that visually there are two methods for better visualization of muscles: from more muscle or lose the fact that covers it. If you want objective progress you can measure, I think tracking the amount you lift is a good measure.

I'm still at the exact same weight as when I started this tread in June of this year and I just measured my bicep right now and it's actually the same as in June but smaller than April. I don't know how that's possible because I can see and feel that it is different and I can do more with weights than I could back then.

This is so frustrating!! I feel like I'm just wasting time on this for zero results.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I'm still at the exact same weight as when I started this tread in June of this year and I just measured my bicep right now and it's actually the same as in June but smaller than April. I don't know how that's possible because I can see and feel that it is different and I can do more with weights than I could back then.

This is so frustrating!! I feel like I'm just wasting time on this for zero results.

At least some of it is a result of neuromuscular adaptation, which happens initially. Basically, your nervous system is learning to more thoroughly engage your muscle fibers when performing a lift.