Getting Steps In At The Office

Options
ehju0901
ehju0901 Posts: 365 Member
I am trying to increase moving around while I am working at the office. I would just like to get my 250+ steps in per hour. Nothing too crazy right?

Anyone else get anxiety over small stuff like this? I feel like my colleagues are judging me for getting away from my desk multiple times a day. I don't want it to seem like I am avoiding my work or not being productive. 250 steps is not a lot, but I'm just very aware of how often I am away from my desk, and being the "new guy" at work, I don't want to attract the extra attention.

Any tips? Anyone relate to this?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    If there is pressure (real or imagined) to be at your desk for long stretches of time, could you take 1 longer break at lunch rather than more frequent shorter breaks throughout the day?
  • tluisa311
    tluisa311 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It's actually recommended by a doctor that you step away from your computer screen for a few minutes every hour to give your eyes a break and keep your body in motion, so if anyone seems to have an issue with it, just tell them it's doctor's orders!
    I work in banking and sit in front of a screen all day. I try to walk for 3-5 minutes ever hour or hour and a half. My co-workers do know that I'm actively losing weight, however most companies advocate for healthier employees. It shouldn't be an issue, but I would say that it makes you a more productive employee when you're able to take a few minutes away from your desk every hour.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I get most of my steps in at work going to refill my water cup or going to the restroom, LMAO. There's a kitchenette with a water cooler in the building where I work. It's upstairs and requires walking basically all the way across the building from where I am to get to the stairs, so it's a nice little 5- or 10-minute jaunt once every hour or so.

If you're worried about the optics of physically being away from your desk, could you get some kind of under-desk stepper/pedaler? I picked one up at Walmart for under $30, when it's slow or when I'm on my lunch break I'll pedal for a few minutes. It's quiet and sturdy while still being lightweight. I do also have a private office and a large desk that blocks a view of my feet, so YMMV if you're hotdesking or in a more open-concept workspace.

One longer walk rather than many short ones is also not a bad plan.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I get most of my steps in at work going to refill my water cup or going to the restroom, LMAO. There's a kitchenette with a water cooler in the building where I work. It's upstairs and requires walking basically all the way across the building from where I am to get to the stairs, so it's a nice little 5- or 10-minute jaunt once every hour or so.

If you're worried about the optics of physically being away from your desk, could you get some kind of under-desk stepper/pedaler? I picked one up at Walmart for under $30, when it's slow or when I'm on my lunch break I'll pedal for a few minutes. It's quiet and sturdy while still being lightweight. I do also have a private office and a large desk that blocks a view of my feet, so YMMV if you're hotdesking or in a more open-concept workspace.

One longer walk rather than many short ones is also not a bad plan.

Hmm I may look into a desk stepper. I could easily have one in my cubicle.

For the record, I don't think my coworkers care if I am not at my desk, it is more so in my head lol.

I think I may just keep trying to do a quick walk each hour, if anyone questions me on it I will explain that it is hard to look at my screen for long periods of time. :)
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I was reprimanded for getting up too often. If you're on thin ice they will look at anything to criticize.

I ended up being fired..I didn't sell enough but they brought up the water fountain more than once. Be careful.

Yeah corporate America can kma.