Doubts about the calories of a fish

Options
Hey guys . So there's this frozen white fish fillet I purchased . It says 50 calories for 100 grams . Do you think this is correct or is it way off ?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Seems low -- cod (weighed raw) is about 85 cal per gram. But if it has a bunch of extra water in it due to being frozen or some kind of added solution, it's possible. Do you have a reason to doubt the package? Also, isn't the package more specific re the type of fish.
  • sultank101
    sultank101 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Seems low -- cod (weighed raw) is about 85 cal per gram. But if it has a bunch of extra water in it due to being frozen or some kind of added solution, it's possible. Do you have a reason to doubt the package? Also, isn't the package more specific re the type of fish.

It's from a famous food business called al islami ..on MFP it says the same .
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

@lemurcat2
    Is this a typo? Do you mean 85 cal per 100 grams? Or something else? Because 85 cal per gram is impossible.
  • lemurcat2
    edited July 2021
    Options

@lemurcat2
    Is this a typo? Do you mean 85 cal per 100 grams? Or something else? Because 85 cal per gram is impossible.

LOL, yeah 100 g. Since the OP was talking about 100 g, that was my intent too.

Sorry for the typo (too late to edit), but I do think it was pretty obvious! White fish is generally low cal, not magically high cal.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    sultank101 wrote: »

MFP is irrelevant, as it's just what someone entered from the package, but I'd trust the package. I looked it up and there's water added, so that would reduce the raw calories per 100 gram. Looks like the fish is probably Vietnamese basa, which other sources give as similar cals, so seems right.

I wouldn't trust a generic "whitefish" entry for 50 cal/100 g on MFP, but from packaging I generally would and in this case I think you can.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Most white fish has about 1 calorie per gram. On average. but, certainly .5 calories per gram is not impossible.
  • sultank101
    sultank101 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    sultank101 wrote: »

MFP is irrelevant, as it's just what someone entered from the package, but I'd trust the package. I looked it up and there's water added, so that would reduce the raw calories per 100 gram. Looks like the fish is probably Vietnamese basa, which other sources give as similar cals, so seems right.

I wouldn't trust a generic "whitefish" entry for 50 cal/100 g on MFP, but from packaging I generally would and in this case I think you can.

So I follow the 50 calories per 100 gram ? Thank god ..I was getting so worried
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Don’t spend that much energy worrying over 35 calories.

And make sure you’re eating enough. I’ve seen your posts, so this comes from a place of sincere love and concern. Eat what you enjoy, not just the “cheapest” calories you can find.