Difficulties we face to lose weight in 30s & 40s

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    I started logging on MFP in my 50s, and did not encounter any great difficulty in losing weight when I stuck to my plan for achieving a calorie deficit (indeed, I lost weight more quickly than indicated by MFP's estimate of what my calorie needs were at my age, weight, and activity level -- sometimes it's a good thing to be in the tail of a distribution curve!).
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    I expected the weight loss to be slower in my 50s because everyone says that it is, especially for post-menopausal women, but I can't say it's been true for me.

Me either. I noticed no TDEE change in my 30’s. The only time I noticed a reduced TDEE was when I made a major career change that was much less active on the job in my 40s. I noticed when I wasn’t losing weight the way I used to. Initially I wondered if it was aging but counted calories and realized it was due to the job change/activity.

You can’t control your age but you can control your activity and body composition. I started strength training in my 40s and had visible abs for first time in my life by 50. I’m at my college weight, but I think it’s possible I may have more lean mass now. I aspire to gain a little more lean mass now at age 56. I think subcutaneous fat is really pretty on women, and I have less of that (thanks to age) but I do have better definition as a result. Love your amazing body at every age!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,582 Member
    I have actually found weight loss to be easier in my 30's and 40's, despite going on/off diets, gaining and losing weight since I was 15. The reason isn't because my metabolism is magically better than it was back then...although I'd venture to say that because I'm more active overall and have more muscle mass my TDEE is probably higher than it was back then.

With age comes wisdom, and I've learned a lot about what it takes to not only successfully lose weight, but what it takes to keep it off. I also changed my mindset about losing/maintaining weight, significantly reducing my all-or-nothing mindset and being ok with losing weight slowly, not aiming to lose a certain amount of weight by XX date. I also have found exercise I actually enjoy and focus on getting stronger, not just how many calories I burn or how it will make me look. For example, now I enjoy walking outdoors, whereas when younger I would've scoffed at that for exercise, thinking it didn't burn enough calories. I also know the importance of just being less sedentary during the day outside of formal exercise. I used to think if I exercised once a day I was good...I could park close to the store, could sit and watch TV for long periods, etc.

I also just want to be healthier overall, and absolutely know that by eating more nutritious foods than not and not overeating that I physically feel better. That's important to me now, whereas when younger I was just focused on calories...and used to believe low-fat was the way to go. Still, I also believe that absolutely vis nothing off limits food-wise, it's just whether or not I want to eat it.

I wish I had known what I know now, but sometimes experience is the best teacher.

I 100% agree and resonate with all of this! Mirrors my experience exactly.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    I with my wife kicked off our weight trimming odyssey two weeks ago.

I had put on around 10 kgs in the last 12 months. Nonetheless I was certain that like before I would curtail my weight effortlessly.

Regrettably my physique is responding exceptionally sluggishly to my ongoing diet and exercise.

Did anyone had any comparable experience in the past? Please feel free to share it.

If you think it's bad now, wait until you are in your 50s and 60s and have other health conditions

I lost 24lbs about 4-5 years ago and now it's hell to loose, but it's something I have to do.

It's like climbing Mount Everest, getting a certain distance and then the wind blowing you back down

It also does not help that I have no thyroid and have to take Synthroid - but it can be done, but it's a big struggle

I made a decision yesterday that since I MUST take medication daily, exercising daily should be the same thing and in a way it makes sense

• KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    I'm 41...almost 42...and I'm in a job where I'm on my feet a lot, but when I track my food and my activity, I get good results (weight loss) as compared to when I don't (weight gain).

I too am in my 40’s (late 40’s) and I lose weight pretty much in line with my calorie deficit.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    I can't compare to how it is to diet when you are younger, I am 48 and this is my first time ever trying to diet and so far I'm doing good. I've been at this for 4 years, lost a ton at first but the last year and a half I lost nothing. I just added in alternate day fasting and seem to be seeing small results finally.
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I'm with @penguinmama87 and skeptical about the purported magnitude of this rampant decline as we age. I don't dispute the existence of these changes but I don't think the year-over-year decline as nearly as prominent as perception would lead one to believe and are dwarfed by the extenuating circumstances baked into lifestyle shifts. For many people it seems like the math changes and they fail to recognize and/or adapt accordingly to those changes.

Further, I think it's all a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, especially in the current 50-60+ population. I've seen this first hand with my parents and in-laws, all in the early 60s, all overweight to some degree, and all are quick to point out how hard it is to lose weight at their age. However, only one of the four of them have ever taken what I would consider to be a sensible and sustainable approach to losing weight (i.e. tracking/portion control via MFP); otherwise, it's a lot of Dr. Oz-level fad diet attempts and complaining that they're too old and/or don't like to exercise. In my view they're making it hard because they've been told, and believe that it is/has to be hard for them.

Yes, this is my family too, and it is very hard to watch. It's interesting on a generational level, too - I am blessed to have all of my grandparents still living, and they have had various health concerns but actually are very active and have full lives. Their children are much more doom and gloom about health stuff. Same genes, but generally not doing as well in their 50s and 60s as their parents in their 80s (!). And in their children, that doom and gloom has hit for many in 20s and 30s. I think there's some historical trends and things much bigger than just our particular family dynamic that play a role here, but it's weird and alarming. When I was growing up, I did not think at all I would end up being the cheerful, optimistic one. Yet here we are.

I generally think "positive thinking!" as a cure-all is a load of hogwash and an excuse to kick some people while they're down. Sometimes really bad stuff does happen, and thinking it won't happen to you won't prevent it. But persistent negative thinking and assuming the worst isn't going to help either.

There's been massive generational shifts in eating. Over the last 40 years the proportions of fresh food as opposed to highly processed food has flipped. Something like 80%/20% previously, now 20%/80%. I would say eating these foods also has mood repricussions.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I'm with @penguinmama87 and skeptical about the purported magnitude of this rampant decline as we age. I don't dispute the existence of these changes but I don't think the year-over-year decline as nearly as prominent as perception would lead one to believe and are dwarfed by the extenuating circumstances baked into lifestyle shifts. For many people it seems like the math changes and they fail to recognize and/or adapt accordingly to those changes.

Further, I think it's all a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, especially in the current 50-60+ population. I've seen this first hand with my parents and in-laws, all in the early 60s, all overweight to some degree, and all are quick to point out how hard it is to lose weight at their age. However, only one of the four of them have ever taken what I would consider to be a sensible and sustainable approach to losing weight (i.e. tracking/portion control via MFP); otherwise, it's a lot of Dr. Oz-level fad diet attempts and complaining that they're too old and/or don't like to exercise. In my view they're making it hard because they've been told, and believe that it is/has to be hard for them.

Yes, this is my family too, and it is very hard to watch. It's interesting on a generational level, too - I am blessed to have all of my grandparents still living, and they have had various health concerns but actually are very active and have full lives. Their children are much more doom and gloom about health stuff. Same genes, but generally not doing as well in their 50s and 60s as their parents in their 80s (!). And in their children, that doom and gloom has hit for many in 20s and 30s. I think there's some historical trends and things much bigger than just our particular family dynamic that play a role here, but it's weird and alarming. When I was growing up, I did not think at all I would end up being the cheerful, optimistic one. Yet here we are.

I generally think "positive thinking!" as a cure-all is a load of hogwash and an excuse to kick some people while they're down. Sometimes really bad stuff does happen, and thinking it won't happen to you won't prevent it. But persistent negative thinking and assuming the worst isn't going to help either.

There's been massive generational shifts in eating. Over the last 40 years the proportions of fresh food as opposed to highly processed food has flipped. Something like 80%/20% previously, now 20%/80%. I would say eating these foods also has mood repricussions.

I do think about that very thing sometimes, though to be fair, food is hardly the only major change in everyday living over the past few generations. (I'm pretty old fashioned in a lot of ways so you don't have to twist my arm to suggest that not all the changes have been good!)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member

I do think about that very thing sometimes, though to be fair, food is hardly the only major change in everyday living over the past few generations. (I'm pretty old fashioned in a lot of ways so you don't have to twist my arm to suggest that not all the changes have been good!)

One of the reasons my 83 year old mother hovers just above underweight is that she still does everything the hard way / old fashioned way / more calorie burning way - for example, she grows a lot of vegetables, heats with wood, and does not have a clothes dryer or dish washer.

We're moving in with her and my brother this fall and bringing a clothes dryer. They both say they will not use it. I believe her, but not him.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    I started at 56 and lost almost 100. I can honestly say I’m in better shape now than I was, underweight, in my 20’s, before I had kids.

It wasn’t hard at all to lose weight. It just took awareness, application, and educating myself in so many different ways: nutrition, exercise, diet myths and so on.

You can make excuses, or you can get off your *kitten* and do something about it. I finally got off my *kitten*.

You indicate you only started two weeks ago. That’s not enough time at all to analyze if what you are doing is effective. You need at least 4-6 weeks to get past “beginner” water and weight fluctuations, learning how to log, etc. These forums will be your best friend to further your “self” education. And I do mean SELF education.

I wish you both success, but you also need to discuss ahead of time what happens if one gives up, and r one is super successful. Are you going to continue to support one another? Or will you give up as a couple! Hopefully, you’ll be successful together and we will get one hell of a “Success Story” over on the other board in a few months.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    edited July 2021
    I think by our 30’s and 40’s we build all kinds of efficiencies into our day that don’t necessarily do any favours in terms of calorie burn. I went for a walk with my 6 year old granddaughter last week. She sat on the floor to tie her shoes, leapt up into the air when she was done, ran up and down the steps three times while she waited for me, ran in two circles while she told me a story, jumped up to touch tree branches and hopped back and forth over a stream. Meanwhile I subconsciously picked the shortest and easiest routes all the way along. I don’t know much about how BMR changes as we age, but I can tell you that I am fundamentally less active than I was 50 years ago.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    The only real weight loss I've ever known was in my late 30s and my 40s. I lost about 40 Lbs when I was 38 and did so in a matter of about 7-8 months. I'm 46 now and currently working on the 20 Lbs I put on during COVID and that is proving to be seemingly more difficult than my first go around...but that's really only perception. I was very disciplined with food and exercise my first go around and I've been a lot more loosey goosey with things this go around.

In regards to being harder when you're older...I really think that in large part comes down to a decrease in overall activity more than it does a decline in BMR (which is pretty small). In my youth and in my 20s I was very active in both life and work and didn't have the numerous other commitments that I have now. Even with regular, planned exercise, I'm nowhere near as active overall as I was in my 20s. I've worked a desk job since I was 30...previous to that I worked retail, food service, warehouse, and landscape construction. Most of the work I've ever done prior to becoming a desk jockey had me on my feet most of my working hours.