Sweat gets in my eyes while cycling!

Options
2»

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Just tightly close your eyes when you ride?

or

Simply, ride backwards?

(just remember, the advice on mfp is free)

• LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I've been using Halo headbands that have a rubber strip to try to guide sweat away from your eyes. When cycling, the sweat pools in the front, however, and drips right down the middle of my face. (Works much better for jogging, etc.)

I've tried lots of other solutions, but have not found a perfect one. It's a real drag to have to take off my cycling goggles to wipe my face. Also, it's dangerous when the sweat actually gets into my eyes. I can't see!

Suggestions?

I’ve used bondi bands over the years for running. Love them

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    LaraeTX wrote: »

Taking a look at their web site: they get an A+ for fun designs, and I particularly like the arm band for your phone. Any cloth headband will eventually saturate and start to drip. Maybe the answer is to carry a dry one in your pocket.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Just tightly close your eyes when you ride?

or

Simply, ride backwards?

Always look straight up when you ride. That sound logical.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    LaraeTX wrote: »

Taking a look at their web site: they get an A+ for fun designs, and I particularly like the arm band for your phone. Any cloth headband will eventually saturate and start to drip. Maybe the answer is to carry a dry one in your pocket.

I'll say it again. I use a cap, when it saturates and begins to drip, the water only comes out through the brim. It keeps 100% of sweat, rain, and snow out of my eyes, and does a great job protecting my forehead from sunburn too.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    I'll say it again. I use a cap, when it saturates and begins to drip, the water only comes out through the brim. It keeps 100% of sweat, rain, and snow out of my eyes, and does a great job protecting my forehead from sunburn too.

I do that when I run, and it really works. I couldn't possibly wear a running hat with a brim when I ride because my vision would be partially blocked by the brim. Back when the racers wore bike hats, they'd typically invert the brim.

(Search google images for the great Eddy Merckx to see some classic pictures of that.)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Tried this Castelli Summer headband this weekend on two 3hr rides in 30c/86f temperatures, worked pretty well and only leaked on a long slow climb and a little on a fast descent when I tried to become a little more aerodynamic than a barn.....
    Also available in black so you might look less like a Samurai.

pmd6a7rs924g.jpg

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Tried this Castelli Summer headband this weekend on two 3hr rides in 30c/86f temperatures, worked pretty well and only leaked on a long slow climb and a little on a fast descent when I tried to become a little more aerodynamic than a barn.....

That type works really well when the humidity isn't too high. I wicks the sweat up and allows it to dry as efficiently as possible. I've been riding in high heat with humidity, and all the regular sweatbands have been failing. The Gutr seems to be about as good as it gets for these conditions, although the sweat generated under it and around your eyes needs to be wiped off every once in a while.

Bottom line: Riding hard in the heat and humidity makes you sweat all over! And, in general, that's a good thing!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

That type works really well when the humidity isn't too high. I wicks the sweat up and allows it to dry as efficiently as possible. I've been riding in high heat with humidity, and all the regular sweatbands have been failing. The Gutr seems to be about as good as it gets for these conditions, although the sweat generated under it and around your eyes needs to be wiped off every once in a while.

Bottom line: Riding hard in the heat and humidity makes you sweat all over! And, in general, that's a good thing!

After a long ride on Saturday in very warm, humid conditions, I decided to order a new (for me) headband. Headband is nylon/spandex and wide in front, maybe 4 inches when expanded. Back of the band is narrower with an elastic inside the outer material. Will see if it is non slip and reduces the amount of sweat that drips from under my helmet into my eyes and bike stem when riding in the aerobars. It comes in a 4 pack, so I'm going to try carrying a spare to change out as needed during rides.

On last Saturday's ride it seemed like I drained all five bottles of fluid out through my helmet!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The things that make it hot here mostly give us dry heat. My state is basically half desert and half rain forest, sometimes the winds bring is hot so desert air.

Sweat is a great way to stay cool through evaporation, but that doesn't happen when the air is too humid to absorb your sweat (and heat with it). Be careful in those conditions!!