backpacking tent recommendations

jjpptt2
jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
edited July 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm not new to camping, but I am new to having to hike/carry in all my camp gear.

Is there anything I should be looking for in a backpacking that would different from regular car/drive-up camping? Obviously size/weight become more important, as does a good footprint... anything else that I'm not thinking about because I've not done this before?

Replies

• MsWax
    MsWax Posts: 32 Member
    Size/weight is most important, but durability is something to consider as well. I have the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3...it's a 3-person tent that fits 2 adults pretty comfortably, and 1 adult and 2 kids alright, but you'd be hard pressed to get any sleep with 3 adults in there! The material is thin (so lightweight), so we do use a footprint underneath to protect from rips/tears.
  • jjpptt2
    MsWax wrote: »
    Size/weight is most important, but durability is something to consider as well. I have the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3...it's a 3-person tent that fits 2 adults pretty comfortably, and 1 adult and 2 kids alright, but you'd be hard pressed to get any sleep with 3 adults in there! The material is thin (so lightweight), so we do use a footprint underneath to protect from rips/tears.

Thanks -- That is one of the tents on my shortlist of considerations as of now.
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    How many people are sleeping in this tent? What season(s) are you planning to use this tent? Are there any particular weather issues where you plan to tent (think: is always windy/exposed to high winds). And, of course, how much are you wiling to spend?
  • jjpptt2
    edited July 2021
    YellowD0gs wrote: »
    How many people are sleeping in this tent? What season(s) are you planning to use this tent? Are there any particular weather issues where you plan to tent (think: is always windy/exposed to high winds). And, of course, how much are you wiling to spend?

2 adults typically... maybe 2 adults + a dog at most.
    3 season
    No plans to camp above the treeline, so no significant weather conditions to deal with.
    At this point, all plans are for camping in wooded areas of upstate NY (Adirondaks)... rain and humidity are concerns, as are bugs.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    edited July 2021
    As stated above, weight is very important, but think also about the conditions in which you'll be camping. If you are likely to be camping on rock or sand, then a free-standing tent can be useful since you don't have to stake it down (though you should still do so if you can because of wind.) If you are camping in some place with a lot of rain and mist, then a double-wall tent can be good because of condensation. (The drips go down the outer layer, not inside with you.) If you will be winter camping, then look for a somewhat thicker tent that can stand wind and snow. If you camp where it's often wet, then a bathtub floor can help keep you dryer. If you mostly camp in summer, then a lot of mesh and good airflow will keep you cooler but also keep the bugs out. For bad weather camping, having a vestibule where you can keep your wet shoes and pack is handy. Consider how much space there is when you sit up. I had a friend who loved her tent because she could play cards with her husband when it was raining. That tent was huge.

I like Tarptents, but they can have condensation problems. YMMV (www.tarptent.com)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I'm sensing opportunity for hammocks. Except for the poor dog.
    Each with their own. Couple big tarps if rain a threat. Can have bug net if that's a problem.
    If warm enough no extra insulation needed, even if tad cool don't have to go expensive for some.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    YellowD0gs wrote: »

2 adults typically... maybe 2 adults + a dog at most.
    3 season
    No plans to camp above the treeline, so no significant weather conditions to deal with.
    At this point, all plans are for camping in wooded areas of upstate NY (Adirondaks)... rain and humidity are concerns, as are bugs.

Bugs rules a tarp or a bivy sack out.

If I was going to camp in the rain a lot (I mostly hold out for fair weather), I would want a Cuban fiber tent. I mean I want one a little anyway for the weight. Most tents are silicone impregnated nylon, which will keep you dry in all but the most terrible weather. But the fabric absorbs water and stretches out, the tent droops inward, and it's heavier to carry out the next day.

I've had a few Big Agnes tents. They set up instantly, it's amazingly easy and if you have to make camp in foul weather that gets you out of the weather quickly. I've used them above tree line in storms, they're great. I think I have a Copper Spur, but it's been so many years I can't remember for sure. Still going strong. 3 person version is perfect for two adults and gear.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    If u are backpacking, wt is the MOST important factor. Quality of materials isrelated to wt and not an issue w/mwjor backoack gear makers

Beyond that:

1) Ease of set up of both tent and fly.

2,) Ease of enty/exit especially in a 2+ person tent if more than 1 person actually uses the tent

3,) Floor panel seams that are NOT at floor level but at least a couple inches above that, esp on wet/damp ground and weather conditions.

4) A covered foyer/vestible where you can remove/store dirt shoes, esp while raining.

5) Factory waterproofed seams are also nice if available but it's not hard to do it yourself.

That what I was looking 4 when I bought my backpack tents. Still have 4 of them.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I have an REI Half Dome 2+. It's been pretty durable and plenty of room for 2 adults and some gear...not sure about a dog...maybe a small one.

I like that it has two entry doors and the rain fly has a vestibule to keep your boots dry if it rains. It's pretty easy to set up once you practice it a few times.

I don't think it's the lightest or smallest packed volume, but my husband and I would split it up between our two packs. He'd take the poles, stakes, and rain fly, and I'd take the ground cover and tent body.

Over the years, I've gotten some pretty good gear recommendations from Backpacker magazine. If you're going to be doing this occasionally, it's a good resource.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Consider getting the “footprint” of the tent, too, an underlaying tarp that protects the tent floor. It’s not included with the tent, usually. If you’re camping on anything other than a sand pad you’ll probably want one and they’re custom made to each tent.

I have an REI quarterdome, a great little tent for the price point, two people are snug as a bug, but no room for a dog (One plus a dog is perfect). It’s smaller than their halfdome. I like REI for their life-time return policy for any reason.

Careful backpacking with a dog, their nails can damage the tent floor waterproofing, and if they dig during bad weather or if they hear animals outside, they can destroy the tent. A soft pop-up kennel within the tent can help protect the tent, gives you time to wake up. You can also find one to fit within the vestibule, depending upon size of course. Handy to give pup a bug-free spot at the campsite too.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    Consider getting the “footprint” of the tent, too, an underlaying tarp that protects the tent floor. It’s not included with the tent, usually. If you’re camping on anything other than a sand pad you’ll probably want one and they’re custom made to each tent.

I have an REI quarterdome, a great little tent for the price point, two people are snug as a bug, but no room for a dog (One plus a dog is perfect). It’s smaller than their halfdome. I like REI for their life-time return policy for any reason.

Careful backpacking with a dog, their nails can damage the tent floor waterproofing, and if they dig during bad weather or if they hear animals outside, they can destroy the tent. A soft pop-up kennel within the tent can help protect the tent, gives you time to wake up. You can also find one to fit within the vestibule, depending upon size of course. Handy to give pup a bug-free spot at the campsite too.

FYI, they no longer do this. You have a year to return it, but after that, they are not taking it back.
  • NorthCascades

I have an REI quarterdome, a great

Forget that noise, let me share some insight with you. 🙂

REI sells tent foot prints for $45 - 60.

An appropriately sized sheet of tyvek should cost $10 - 15.

Tyvek is waterproof construction paper, it's the stuff you see protecting unfinished buildings from the elements. It weights 1/2 as much as a tent footprint, is highly durable, puncture resistant, and can be shaped any way you need (eg bathtub when you need it).
  • NorthCascades

FYI, they no longer do this. You have a year to return it, but after that, they are not taking it back.

To clarify, REI has a 1 year return for any reason policy, but will take defective gear forever. Also, anything you bought before the policy change is governed by the old policy, meaning you can still return things you bought in 1993 for no reason, but not things from 2018. 🤯
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    My husband and I are avid campers and have 7 tents between us. We only have 1 manufacture’s footprint. For the other tents we use an ancient groundsheet / random tarp (depending on size) which we fold as needed to fit said tent to act as a “stone sheet”.
    This includes the ultra-lightweight Vango Halo (we’re in the Uk) that we use backpacking / fly long haul (pre Covid) with.
  • NorthCascades
    I prefer cottage industry vs big companies for tents and sleeping bags. 🙂

Z Packs and Six Moons both make great tents. There's complete shelter under a pound fort $$$!! but there's also quality stuff at mid range prices. You can do stuff like save weight by using your hiking poles as the "frame."