I’m hungry

Does anyone have any tips for how to mentally combat hunger? Or the panic that ensues as your calorie allotment gets less and less? I NEED to lose weight but am struggling with the mental game….

Replies

• PersonOfDisinterest
    PersonOfDisinterest Posts: 7 Member
    Idle hands are the devil's workshop.

What's your favorite hobby?
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I have my calorie goal set to maintenance. Anything less than that is a win and my brain hates seeing even a little in the red.

I also END my meals with the least enjoyable part. Yeah, yeah, I know eat your veggies first. The thing is if I'm eating what I like a lot last, then I want to keep eating. If the end of the meal is broccoli I'm much better able to say 'done now' and walk away from it, rather than continuing to stuff my face because I just love the taste.

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    One of my tricks is chewing gum.
    It might not work for everyone. But it definitely helps me.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I prepare and log my food in advance. I batch-cook breakfast and lunch a week or two at a time, and I make dinners that yield leftovers and eat them for 2 or 3 nights. It's great - I already know what I'm going to eat for the whole rest of the week, I know I can have that ice cream bar for dessert without worry, all I have to do is stick to the plan. I'm a good cook, so it's easy to eat what I brought and not derail when breakroom bagels or thank-you donuts or whatever the temptation du jour is makes an appearance. I don't panic about running out of calories anymore, or get paralyzed with indecision about what to do when it's 2:30 and I'm lagging and want a snack. I just eat the granola bar I planned on and get on with my life. And sometimes, since my whole day is prelogged, I know I actually DO have room in my budget to go get a slice of pizza instead of eating the cabbage rolls I brought for lunch that day.
  • sarakenna12
    sarakenna12 Posts: 37 Member
    edited July 2021
    Check out the concept of "volume eating." That really helps me when I'm super hungry. The premise is that you eat a large volume of very low calorie foods, so your belly feels full. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/44825274#Comment_44825274
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    The best trick is to prioritize your mental and physical wellbeing over quick results. A reasonable deficit and slower weight loss is easier on the mind and body, and you'll eventually get there in time. Trying to stick to low calories and having constant binge episodes won't get you there any faster.

If your calorie level is not too low, another way to increase your allotment is by moving more. The more you move the more calories you get to eat. I try to move at every opportunity in my day to day life, nothing strenuous, just walking around and doing stuff. The extra calories you are able to eat add up.

Through trial and error, find out what foods fill you up better. Don't assume just because some people find a certain way of eating satisfying/unsatisfying that you'll do as well. It's individual. For me, bread, potatoes, pasta, pizza...etc are satisfying. Carbs and bread texture help me feel full and having a handful of nuts would drive me nuts (I need at least 800 calories worth to feel mentally satisfied eating nuts). Don't box yourself into a certain way of eating just because you believe it's diet-friendly.

Occasional hunger is fine. Everyone gets hungry sometimes. Even before you started dieting you probably had times when you felt hungry but didn't have a chance to eat and it wasn't a big deal. It's a bit of mental work to accept that a little bit of hunger before meals is normal, and that you won't die if you felt stronger hunger occasionally for one reason or another (strong hunger that happens too frequently is not okay). It's a bit of mental work but it's worth the effort.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    1) make sure your deficit isn’t too high; 500-700 calories is all I can tolerate.
    2) get plenty of rest, I confuse being tired with hunger, so to feel more energy I think I need to eat. If I can, I take a nap or go to bed early
    3) add a maintenance day every 3 or 4 weeks, I think your body needs it. I don’t usually plan mine, but after days of feeling so ravenous I give in to the hunger and eat to maintenance or maybe just above. The next day I’m back to calorie reduction without a problem then weight still drops off.
    4) my go to snacks are cucumbers and cantaloupe. Both are very filling and low in calories. Hot tea or coffee with sweet and low and a tablespoon of half and half are very low calorie options that fill me up.
    5) seriously you could be thirsty, drink a large glass of water and see how you feel
    Hunger gets easier to deal with as you get used to it. I think it takes about a month.
  • Sixteen_Tons
    Sixteen_Tons Posts: 61 Member
    for me it's logging / planning my days meals in advance with a deficit built in. That way I know what additions can/cannot be made. The second thing is LOG, LOG, LOG everything, nobody is going to kill you if you have a slip. As you get farther into this you'll be able predict the impact of additions on the day so you can make good choices.
  • kizanne2
    kizanne2 Posts: 123 Member
    LW2815 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips for how to mentally combat hunger? Or the panic that ensues as your calorie allotment gets less and less? I NEED to lose weight but am struggling with the mental game….

I find if I eat Low Carb I don't get hungry often.
  • stealthette
    stealthette Posts: 35 Member
    edited July 2021
    Try taking multivitamins first thing in the morning. I used to have to take them because I had an undereating problem and I always noticed if I took them in the morning it made eating throughout the day so much harder. I switched to taking at night and did seems to help a lot.