Downtime in trucking.

Options
I am a truck driver and that means I usually have a lot of down time waiting for loads. Any suggestions on type of workouts I can do just outside my truck? Also I feel like I’d be embarrassed and suggestions how to push past that? Tia!

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Do you have to stay by your truck, or can you go for a walk/run while you wait?
  • Plasicage
    Plasicage Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    What about bands? It may look embarrassing but you can do squats and other exercises using resistance bands. I would probably do.quick change (like wear underneath) to gym clothes so it doesn't look awkward at first.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Truck stops I've seen are generally wide expanses of concrete. Could you not find a safe area to park your truck and exercise beside it (while still being visible to others because, well, predator attacks, alien invasions and zombie hordes are real)?

And, depending on the load, could you not workout IN the back of the truck? Even in a narrow space, you could do push-ups or other body resistance exercise.

Lastly, thanks for being out there for us so that we get our produce and whatever else you ship in your loads 🙏🏿
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Brisk walking around the truck stop is an option. When we travel with our dog, the fact that he needs to be walked means we get more exercise, which makes us a lot less stiff and sore on long drives. Yoga would be an option too, or if you can get past the need to avoid having people look at you, something like tai chi can be a good workout that doesn't require equipment. Hand weights don't take up much space, so you could create a short workout using them.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    I’ve seen many posts here from truckers complaining they don’t get exercise. You might be inspirational and start a trend!
  • naomi9271
    naomi9271 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just going to say, unless you run a regular route, the chances of you seeing any of these people ever again in your life is slim to none. So who cares what they think? (But honestly what they’re very likely to think is, “what a good idea, I should do that too.”)

Love the jump rope suggestion made above.

I’ve seen bikes tied on to the back of semis before, so I doubt you’re the only one out there. And the dogs who need walks, as was mentioned above.

LOL you could even run around the truck with your tire tapper and claim you’re trying for the world speed record for your vehicle inspection :)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I imagine that personal safety is an issue, so you can't always go for a walk or jog alone, at least not everywhere you go. But, it would be great, where reasonably possible. (Use a tracking app on your phone for some extra safety.)

I've used bands a lot and they are really great. Make sure you inspect and replace when worn as they can snap-- but they are cheap and last at least a year with normal use. If there's a nice private spot, you could do some floor work on a pad. I can get a full-body workout with a combination of floor-ex and bands. (Lots of videos about it on YouTube.)

My most creative idea for you is to bring a folding exercise bike in the truck. There are lots of them for sale on Amazon. I've not used any of them, so I can't endorse one in particular, but some get good reviews. Hey, just getting it in and out of the truck would be a pretty good workout!

Best of luck and thanks for carrying all our stuff around!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    naomi9271 wrote: »
    Just going to say, unless you run a regular route, the chances of you seeing any of these people ever again in your life is slim to none. So who cares what they think? (But honestly what they’re very likely to think is, “what a good idea, I should do that too.”)

Love the jump rope suggestion made above.

I’ve seen bikes tied on to the back of semis before, so I doubt you’re the only one out there. And the dogs who need walks, as was mentioned above.

LOL you could even run around the truck with your tire tapper and claim you’re trying for the world speed record for your vehicle inspection :)

Yes, when I used to travel a lot I did yoga in airports.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    In terms of being embarrassed: I don’t know what it would be like being a woman in a predominantly male industry, so I’m not sure what to say. Normally I’d say ‘use it to encourage the other drivers to join in.’ But that may not be appropriate for you.

In terms of exercises:
    What are your goals?
    What is your current fitness level?
    What sort of intensity level are you looking for?
    How much time do you have while you’re waiting?

I’m going to assume light intensity in a short time with no equipment. My thoughts are:
    Squats - single leg, pistol, wide, narrow, all different kinds of squats
    Lunges - front, back, side, plyometric
    Arm raises - repetitive small movements to burn out shoulder and back muscles — Casey Ho on FitOn has great Pilates workouts that can be done standing. FitOn is a free app.
    Standing leg lifts - front, side, back, angled — all different directions.
    Calf raises

If you have resistance bands or loops, then you can add resistance to any of the above and add in items like bicep curls, overhead press, tricep kickbacks.