Hi! Need friends!

Options
I started my weight loss journey September 2020 at 186lbs. As of today I’m 143 and 17 lbs to go. I just found out I have degenerative disc disease in my lower back. Seeing a spinal surgeon tomorrow to see what my options are. I need friends to keep me motivated in my time and little to no exercise.

Replies

• 1J48
    1J48 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good morning ( morning here in VA). I have degenerative disc disorder as well. I unfortunately have had several surgeries. I tried therapy first, then steroid injections. First surgery was just to trim the disc where it was on the nerve, worked pretty well, but I injured it again. I have fusion of L5-S1 C5-C7 and a fusion in my right foot 8 surgeries total. I still have sciatic nerve pain. Having said all this; It depressed me, I gained weight and had the stupidest thought I could ever think "Well if I can't work out the way I used to I won't bother" (I was pretty fit my whole life, 20 year military, runner, weight lifter, tough mudder competitor). Soooooo I gained about 50lbs and sat on a pity pot for years, then one day I got tired of my own BS and started back just by walking, then asking my ortho doc what kind of routines I could do. I have had ups and downs, but I am in better shape than I was and on my way to dropping these last 16 pounds.
  • candysashab88
    candysashab88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I will friend u . I’m trying to lose 20 lbs
  • krjohnson1292
    krjohnson1292 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics and yoga are the way to go!
  • drnephagl
    drnephagl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello.
  • catsandtea111
    catsandtea111 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Love your username and would love to support as I also am not as exercise-y myself. Sending you a request
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Check with your surgeon and PT about what to do and not to do. Depending on the level of damage, there are quite a few things you can do with disc damage sometimes.

And I'd advise also to not let them convince you that nothing will help. I was told years ago nothing would help, and was lucky that a PT convinced me otherwise.