I’m confused

Options
I’m trying to lose weight and it says my calories per day should be 2640, so far I’ve eaten a little over 2724. Yet it says I have left over calories?? I’m so confused. I’m very new to this and calorie counting.

Replies

• asa_nanica
    asa_nanica Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's because it is adding back in the exercise you did.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    It's because you added exercise calories. Those can be eaten as well.
  • bigmouthaj
    bigmouthaj Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So I am essentially eating more than my “goal” calories? That’s where I’m lost haha
  • bigmouthaj
    Options
    So it doesn’t already subtract the 500? I put my weight and activity level and it gave me that number. So I have to do the subtractions of what they gave me?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,713 Member
    Options
    bigmouthaj wrote: »
    So it doesn’t already subtract the 500? I put my weight and activity level and it gave me that number. So I have to do the subtractions of what they gave me?

No. It did the subtraction.

In the example I was trying to explain, MFP would've given the basic daily goal of 2000 calories, which already subtracts the 500 calories needed to lose a pound a week . . . before doing any exercise.

If you do exercise, you burn more calories, right? So if (as that example person) you want to keep at the "lose a pound a week" level, you eat the exercise calories . . . because the 500 calories needed for your pound a week loss are already in the base calorie goal.

Any exercise calories on top of that, MFP intends you to eat back, so you stay even-up at the same weight loss rate.

Some people worry that exercise calories are over-estimated, so eat only part of them back (at first). Some exercise calorie estimates are more reliable than others, so you can get feedback from the community if you say what exercise type you're doing for how long, how you're getting the estimate, and what the estimated calories are.

I estimated my exercise calories carefully, ate pretty much all of them back while losing from obese to a healthy weight, have eaten them all back for nearly 6 years since in maintenance, and my weight has behaved as I expect. That's been true when I exercise a lot, and also when I exercise hardly at all. This approach can work.

Also, IMO, exercise calories taste the best. 😉
  • bigmouthaj
    Options
    So let me run this back so I know im understanding correctly, the number they gave me (2640) is the amount I should aim to eat, they already calculated the deficit.

Now I SHOULD eat back the exercise calories as well?

Sorry I’m very very new at this. Im on my feet for half the day at work (chipotle) so I’m getting some exercise. However I am starting to lift weights at my gym
  • bigmouthaj
    Options
    Also in that photo I posted above, you would say I’m in a deficit since I ate the correct amount they gave me (plus exercise calories)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    So let me run this back so I know im understanding correctly, the number they gave me (2640) is the amount I should aim to eat, they already calculated the deficit.

Sorry I’m very very new at this. Im on my feet for half the day at work (chipotle) so I’m getting some exercise. However I am starting to lift weights at my gym

Yes, although you should be accounting for being on your feet at your job in your activity level, rather than as exercise (and definitely not double dipping by counting it for both). And if you're getting a substantial number of calories from logging your lifting (or from wearing a step-counter or heart-rate monitor while you're lifting), you may need to rethink how you're accounting for that. Lifting at a vigorous level is a 6 MET activity, but only for the time that you're actively lifting, not for rest periods between sets or for recording your sets on your phone or for refilling your water bottle ...

Also in that photo I posted above, you would say I’m in a deficit since I ate the correct amount they gave me (plus exercise calories)

Yes.
  • bigmouthaj
    Options
    Yeah I put it as my activity level. Im just planning on lifting weights. Nothing extreme. Just counting calories and exercising
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Assuming:
    * You set your MFP activity level based on your life *before* exercise (job, home chores, that sort of thing are MFP's "activity level"
    * You told MFP your goal was to lose X lbs/kg per week,

. . . then yes, you should eat 2640 on a day when you do no exercise.

On a day when you do exercise, you should eat back a reasonable estimate of the exercise calories, in addition to the 2640 calories. So, if you do 200 calories of exercise, eat 2840 calories.

That keeps you at the same "lose X per week" calorie level.

IF your exercise calories come from a fitness tracker synched to MFP, and IF you have negative calories enabled, then your MFP activity level setting almost doesn't matter, because your calorie adjustment from the tracker will calculate out all that stuff by the end of the day (with the caveat that Apple watch integration is a little screwed up).
  • bigmouthaj
    Options
    Makes sense!
  • bigmouthaj
    Options
    The one thing I still don’t get is why I would eat back the calories I burned? Like if I burned them won’t eating it back set me back to where I was before I worked out?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    The one thing I still don’t get is why I would eat back the calories I burned? Like if I burned them won’t eating it back set me back to where I was before I worked out?
    Well no because even WITHOUT exercise, you're at a 500 calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• AnnPT77
    Options

In one sense, yes: You were at a deficit (to achieve X weight loss per week) before the exercise.

You then do the exercise, eat the exercise calories, and are still at the same deficit to lose the same amount of weight per week, after doing those things.

Which is what you want, or IMO ought to want.

Losing weight too fast risks your health. That's a bad idea.

Exercise is good for your body, and is fun (ideally). Underfueling the exercise short-changes those benefits.

Do the exercise to get stronger, fitter, more physically capable, and healthier, and to eat a bit more while losing weight at a sensible pace.

Don't do exercise to lose weight faster than sensible.

I hear that you're confused, and sympathize with that. I think you're now re-asking questions already answered above, as a result of that confusion.

Maybe take a few minutes, re-read the whole thread above carefully, and calmly give it a bit of a think?

Best wishes!