I’m in a plateau I can’t break and it’s discouraging

Options
Maybe someone can help me….

I’m 5’3 and I’ve lost 87 lbs. I’ve been stuck at 157 lbs for WEEKS. I eat about 1200-1300 calories a day and I work out 5-6 days a week. I usually do a mix of cardio and strength with weights. My workouts are about an hour. I’m not sure if I’m maybe eating too much or what, but the scale has literally stopped moving. I anticipated a plateau eventually but I’m not sure what to do to break it. Is there anyone that would be able to help me with this?
Thanks!

Replies

• WeatherJane
    WeatherJane Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 87 lbs.

How are you calculating your calories? Do you use a food scale, or measuring cup? If you use the food log making it public might help.
  • seaneenlee9832
    seaneenlee9832 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use a scale. I track everything down to any seasonings or sauces I use.
  • seaneenlee9832
    Options
    I haven’t changed anything in my routine since I started losing weight. I’ve been eating reduced calories consistently since September and exercising regularly since then as well. I’ve been the same weight since the beginning of June.
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I agree with ninerbuff that you might try eating 1000 more calories for a couple of days. Sounds like your body has gone into starvation mode and is hanging on to every calorie. If you really just eat 1000 more calories for 2 days, that's not even enough to gain one lb., but may be just what's needed to get your body to start losing the weight again. Don't get too frustrated, we all go through this.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    Kevvboy wrote: »
    I agree with ninerbuff that you might try eating 1000 more calories for a couple of days. Sounds like your body has gone into starvation mode and is hanging on to every calorie. If you really just eat 1000 more calories for 2 days, that's not even enough to gain one lb., but may be just what's needed to get your body to start losing the weight again. Don't get too frustrated, we all go through this.

I love this advice!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    I haven’t changed anything in my routine since I started losing weight. I’ve been eating reduced calories consistently since September and exercising regularly since then as well. I’ve been the same weight since the beginning of June.
    So no alcohol, cheat days, extra calories or treats?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]

• seaneenlee9832
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So no alcohol, cheat days, extra calories or treats?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

[/quote]

This is going to be hard to believe, but no. I don’t drink, never have any cheat days, and I eat strictly within my calorie deficit 7 days a week.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Thirding the 'eat much more for a couple of days'. Every time I've stalled two days of more eating (for me though it's usually at or a touch above maintenance) the a day or two after I go back to a deficit the scale drops. Pretty sure it just unstresses my body enough to dump the water weight it's holding onto thanks to cortisol, but either way -

It has been consistently effective.

Heck, I switched to maintenance LAST NIGHT after an injury and dropped 2lbs of scale weight I'd gained immediately after - overnight.

Could be a coincidence but I'm not arguing with it.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    Wherever this happens, I take a "diet break" and eat at maintenance for about a week. When I get back to it, the scale starts moving again. I have no idea why this happens, but it seems to happen and that is my fix.
    I’m going to have to remember this trick.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    This is going to be hard to believe, but no. I don’t drink, never have any cheat days, and I eat strictly within my calorie deficit 7 days a week.
    No change in exercise (different routine or increase in resistance/intensity), stress or sleep?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • seaneenlee9832
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    No change in exercise (different routine or increase in resistance/intensity), stress or sleep?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I was doing strictly cardio, and have recently switched to a mix of cardio and weights. I do this 5-6 days a week, but this stall in weight loss began before this change. I’ve been weight lifting for 3 weeks.
  • cupcake122014
    cupcake122014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    87 lbs DOWN!?!!! WHAT A ROCKSTAR!!!!!
    The reason we plateau when consuming low calories (especially omitting major macros like carbs on a keto diet) is that our bodies undergo metabolic and hormonal adaptations. In a sense, we become more efficient at functioning on fewer calories.

I agree 100% that you would probably benefit from eating increased calories for a couple of days -maybe a week.
    If you have been severely limiting your carbs make sure you reintroduce them during your diet break. This will help boost key hormones such as leptin. Don’t be alarmed if you go up in weight a tad . If you are adding carbs after severely restricting them, you will be filling your glycogen stores (sugar energy stored in muscle and liver) and drawing in water with the glycogen -in other words it won’t be fat.

When you get back to your deficit you should start to see significant progress. I know it’s counterintuitive to eat more when you’re stalling, but diet breaks/refeeds are key and it’s worked like a charm for me and many frustrated clients.

You got this!!! Huge congrats on your hard work and progress!!
    (I’m also 5’3”. Have lost about 40 lbs myself in the past. My background is in science & medicine… became a trainer as my love for fitness grew.)