Depression

Options
Trying to lose weight is hard. I'm only a month in and lost almost 12lbs. But I always feel like it's not happening quick enough. This is why i always give up. At my size( 385) I feel like I should be losing more quicker especially now at the beginning. It's hard to stay motivated and feel accomplished when you don't feel any different. Idk why I'm posting this. I guess to just speak what's in my head since I don't have very many friends. Best of luck to everyone!

Replies

• coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Amanda, I'm a little more than a month in and have lost about the same. Just think if you never would have started, You'd weight at least twelve pounds more. I've gained a lot of information and support just in the last week from these forums that has me really motivated. What advice has helped the most so far? Log everyday, including on the bad days. Even making one small good change is a step in the right direction, then build upon that. Find positive and successful people to hang with on this site where we can all relate. Look at the success photos thread. It's amazing!! You are here and that's a huge step already. Keep going!
  • lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    First, 12 in one month is fantastic! It is quite fast actually, yes even at your size. The changes you are making have to be for life, not just for the relatively short period of time it will take to lose the weight. You want to keep it off don't you?

It is so very easy to want to lose the weight quickly once we resolve to get started but it can only come off so fast and we did not put it all on overnight. Be patient, that 12 will become a much bigger number in no time. If you stick with it, those pounds lost add up.

In short, what you're doing is working. Just make sure it is sustainable. If so, great! Just stay the course and be consistent and the weight will come off.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Congrats on a great start! Please try to recognize that this is a huge win. Lots of folks feel this way because your mind may go to "how did i get here?" or "this may take longer than i thought." Forget that stuff. Think about your accomplishment. you should be so proud!

12 pounds in a month is GREAT!!! If you keep going at this rate you’ll have lost 10% of your body weight in like 2 1/2 more months!! 10%! Did i mention 10%!

Losing any faster would actually probably not work out too well. I’ve been reading so much on this- it seems that a “lifestyle change” mentality works way better than a “diet” mentality.

Besides- once you get nearer to your goal i promise you will realize that if you got there a few weeks or months earlier it wouldn't have mattered as much as the fact that you got there.

Keep it up! You can and you will!!!

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you did not gain weight quickly, you wont lose it quickly, and 12 pounds in a month is a FANTASTIC (and not sustainable) rate of loss. Thats AMAZING!

would you rather lose it slow, and KEEP it off, or lose it quickly, burn out (because you cant keep up that pace/those habits) and gain it back (usually with more added on?) one of those seems the better options, doesnt it?

• xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    12 lbs in a month is A LOT -- most diets recommend aiming for not more that 2 lbs a month. For people with a lot to loose, that means it may be 3 - 4 months before you really see a change. That can be frustrating and discouraging. Don't let it get to you. You are seting up healthy habits that WILL lead to changes in the way you look and feel. And keep coming here for encouragement when needed.
  • bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    'Trying to lose weight is hard' is un understatement. Yes it is hard. While on my journey to lose weight a hundred pounds I had to give up most of the stuff I never thought I could live without. For a year no bread no pasta, sugar was pretty much banned in our house. In order to get where we wanted with my partner we had to change our life style completely. It was tough, but in time we got used to our new 'eating habits' and the pounds began to pour off. After a year of keto-not suggesting this particular diet just want to highlight the difficulties-i lost nearly a hundred pounds my partner about sixty.
    So basically I lost weight with a rate of eight pounds a months, your twelve pounds loss is hardly insufficient. You will get there just give it time.