Would you get fit low tech?????

Options
In a world of Wii, P90x, gym memberships, weights, fancy cardio/gym machines, pedometers that measure every micro calorie, ipods to keep you from being bored while working out...could you still be fit without those things??

If all you had was a pair of runners, outside, and comfortable clothing..could you still figure out a way to be fit?

If so...what would you chose to do?

I'm really curious as to what poeple would do if they didn't have their fitness "tech" so to speak.

Replies

• janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I love my hula hoop
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When I'm at the farm I leave all the tech at home (not like the cell works there anyway) and go for a 2 mile walk to the nearest neighbours (return) checking the fences along the way, checking the condition of the phone-line which for some reason is along the ditch (we were out of phone service for a week last year when some animal got tangled up in it and split the line)

There's lots to do there between lugging water and mending fences that it's not bad for getting fit as long as you watch what you eat.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I don't own a HRM, or belong to a gym. I do own a treadmill and an elliptical machine but mostly I lost the weight by walking/running outside on the ground with my shoes on!

I do use my iPhone to keep track of food using the MFP app and it has made all the difference for me. So I can be mostly low tech but I need my MFP access anywhere.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me it's not really an option 9 months of the year. It is really bad for your lungs to run in -40 :laugh:

But my girlfriend had a baby this winter. She started walking daily as soon as the weather would allow. I don't know how far she goes out or how many times a day, but I would always see her out pushing her buggy. She lost ALL of her baby weight. And I mean every single shred. She looks just like she did before she got pregnant. The baby isn't even 1 yet.

So maybe the tried and true old fashioned ways are still the best!

Me... I'm a gym rat. If they took my gym away I would have a melt down.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I run outside for 50-60+ miles per week - low tech I guess (aside from my GPS watch).
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    That's probably the best way. You don't need videos, gym memberships etc. I run, walk, hike for cardio. For strength, nothing beats using your own body weight for resistance. Sit ups are more challenging then machine crunches, Push ups harder (for me) than a bench press. You get the idea!
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I would do burpees, grass drills, sprints, find a high school stadium and run the steps, handstand pushups, dips on a chair..all kinds of real world work outs you could do. I just like the gym cause I can have everything I want to lift but eye candy to encourage.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    In a world of Wii, P90x, gym memberships, weights, fancy cardio/gym machines, pedometers that measure every micro calorie, ipods to keep you from being bored while working out...could you still be fit without those things??

If all you had was a pair of runners, outside, and comfortable clothing..could you still figure out a way to be fit?

I'm really curious as to what poeple would do if they didn't have their fitness "tech" so to speak.

Hi Wall dancer..Im the ultimate geek...all the gym stuff, you name it. But I left the gym as i stopped going and the weight kept piling on until I joined mfp. My 60lb weight loss is almost 100% down to eating right, walking and riding a bike, and of course eating right. nothing scientific about it at all.

You can be fit..all you need is a scent pair of shoes, a bike if you like cycling and the great outdoors. trust me, living in england you have to make rain and wind your ''friend'', even in the middle of the summer. the 'can do' attitude the amazing people on mfp drilled into my head is all you need..no gizmos, no science, no gym. I would be physically sick now at the thought of pounding the treadmill for an hour when i could walk outdoors for the same time instead.

Now, I'm going to learn to swim!

But you know, saying all of that, I'm sure the scientific approaches and gizmos work, too..allI had on top of the gizmos was a reliable pair of nikes, and the shoes were all that i needed all along to lose weight, get fit and hopefully stay fit!
  • papa5280
    Options
    For me, those tools, including MFP, have been essential. I'm a numbers geek. My career has been in financial analysis and reporting, so my professional life is all about metrics. My work is governed by the motto, "if you can measure it, you can manage it".

So, that translates to my fitness plans as well. I ride my bike in the summer. I measure how far, how fast how many rests, etc. Before, I relied on my watch and an odometer on the bike. Now, my smartphone with GPS measures all that for me. After every ride, I look to see if I did better than the ride before. It's all about turning exercise into a game that I can win.

Same with MFP. Being able to track the calories, and to shoot for coming in 50-100 calories below my goal each day, makes it interesting and a challenge. Without that, it just feels like starving myself.
  • papa5280
    Options
    Sorry for the double post.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY!!!

Give me a good pair of trail runners and a decent bike and I'd be set. If I could have a pair of skis/boots for the winter then even better.

Hike, run, bike, swim, ski...
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How could I forget cycling... they've been around since 1885 for the bikes we recognize as bikes so that's low tech no?
    Always nice for a quick tour 8 to 10 miles if I go around my neighbourhood (out on the farm)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

Old school bootcamp exercises.
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    Run fast and lift heavy objects.

The rest is negligible details.

I get a better workout tire flipping and sledge hammer swinging then I do dead lifting 400+ pound reps.
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    Also, see the book "Never Gymless" by Ross Enamait at Rossboxing.com

He is the guy who puts all of cross fit to shame, check his videos.

His personal workouts are pretty much universally low tech, and I do not think anyone anywhere approaches Ross for total all around fitness.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I was fit long before I ever paid a dime on any type exercise equipment. Running is free (you don;t always need special shoes) And so are doing push ups & sit ups.
    I did belong to various "gyms" back in the day, but they were hole in the wall, rust on the plates, people came to lift, not prance around & look pretty kinds of places. And they didn't cost very much.

Run stairs & do pushups, and anyone can be as fit as they need to be.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I do use my iPhone to track my distance and pace but I could do that the old fashioned way with a watch and a map... apart from that I don't go to a gym, dont own an HRM, treadmill, workout DVDs or other fancy stuff. So, yes, I could :)
    the iPhone definitely makes it easier to stay on track though, both with exercise and eating.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    all the devices (phone w/ apps, ipod, HRM) help with tracking exercise, but I could do it without them. I ran a lot 10 years ago and did so with none of these devices. But they are cool and handy and I enjoy using them now.