Low cost/Low maintenance healthy snacks + additions?

Options
Good morning, MFP community!

So, I’m both a low income person and one who is (happily 😹) super basic when it comes to food prep.

I’m checking in because I’m admitting that I really need to step up my game in the healthy snacks and add-ons department. The add-ons meaning like, adding spinach to my eggs, etc.

Do y’all have any recommendations on the above, that won’t break my budget and don’t require much prep?

Thanks!

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    One thing I've done is add beans and legumes to ground meat dishes - here's an example: https://www.budgetbytes.com/sloppy-joes-plus/

I actually really like this website because the emphasis is on low cost recipes and she prices them out based on her grocery store prices. Some things are a little bit more labor intensive, but I found it very helpful when I was new to cooking and was low income myself. She has some "how-to" posts in addition to just recipes.

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Boil them and have them ready and peeled to grab from the fridge. They're fine for about 3 days. Frozen vegetables are my go to to bulk out dinner for the most part. Cauliflower, green beans, broccoli and spinach are pretty low calorie per serving.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    In addition to what everyone above has said, bell peppers are typically relatively inexpensive. Same with tomatoes (my usual go-to). Different varieties can be priced differently, but I don't typically care so I just buy what is on sale unless I have a specific need for one variety.

Black beans are something new I have been trying. I recently made a pasta dish with taco seasoned turkey meat (I wanted plain ground turkey but bought the wrong kind), diced bell peppers and onions, marinara sauce and black beans. It tasted pretty good...wasn't super conducive to my diet, but it's just an example of the many uses of black beans. You'd be surprised at what you can work them into.

My last tip that I thought of while writing this is find ways to utilize whatever produce is "in season" in your local area. Usually it will be cheaper, and I'm sure you could find easy ways to use them by looking online or even just by having them as a side. :)
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    * Farmers' markets
    * Food cooperatives
    * Cooking prep sessions (often run by women-centered charitable organizations)
    * And foraging...

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/lifestyle/foraging-for-clover-dead-nettle-yarrow-and-pineapple-weed/

Nettle is so tasty when curried or doused in fresh tomato sauce. Just saying 🤷🏿‍♀️
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    For snacks I do popcorn, super cheap
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Popcorn is, of course, the best low cost snack food. Popped on the stove top wit Pam and no oil, powdered (nut and candy) salt which sticks to it, it is low in calories and cost.

But, for a change of pace, microwave potato chips made from fresh Russet potatoes, no salt no oil, cooked on a paper towel sprayed with Pam in the microwave. Cut them thin with a mandolin or a good knife, lightly salt and lay them separated on a paper towel in the microwave. Nothing cheaper than a potato.
  • CycleMomOf3
    CycleMomOf3 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My husband complains that I try to sneak black beans into SO MANY of our family meals. They're a great and inexpensive addition.

I'd also say that homemade hummus is a nutritional/financial winner always. It's easy (no chopping or anything, just dump it all into a blender). :wink:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Crispy chickpeas with various seasonings are a great nutritious, tasty snack. There are various price points, from the more expensive commercial packaged ones, to make your own from canned chickpeas, to the very frugal homemade from bulk dry chickpeas.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Low cal and low cost: Grated carrots. Grating carrots magically releases the veg's sugars and so grated carrots will taste sweeter than munching carrot sticks or going full Bugs Bunny. In the U.S., I have yet to find "baby" carrots that don't taste of mildew. So I always buy the large ones, peel and grate 3-5 at a time and keep them in the fridge for anytime snacking.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    yj4bxd0qggng.png
  • catsandtea111
    catsandtea111 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, everyone! I’m loving all of these ideas and really appreciate your responses. Will be having some fun during my next trip to the market! 🤗
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Sugar snap peas, green beans and broccoli. Add them to everything, frozen is very cheap and raw Jas delicious and still low calorie for snacks.
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds. A 16 Oz package of them shelled is $2.29 at Trader Joe’s vs almonds at $6.99 (I think). Healthy fats. I bring the bag home and measure out 1 Oz portions into snack size baggies but you could use plastic reusable containers.

I don’t know where you live and what stores you have access to… but some things are less expensive from the bulk bins. Oatmeal is (pre-pandemic) $.79 a lb at Sprouts. Also spices. But some stores still haven’t reopened their bulk bins. ☹️
  • catsandtea111
    catsandtea111 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! Trader Joe’s is a favorite and love Sprouts too so this is great info ☺️
    suzij27 wrote: »
    Sunflower seeds. A 16 Oz package of them shelled is $2.29 at Trader Joe’s vs almonds at $6.99 (I think). Healthy fats. I bring the bag home and measure out 1 Oz portions into snack size baggies but you could use plastic reusable containers.

I don’t know where you live and what stores you have access to… but some things are less expensive from the bulk bins. Oatmeal is (pre-pandemic) $.79 a lb at Sprouts. Also spices. But some stores still haven’t reopened their bulk bins. ☹️

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Crispy chickpeas with various seasonings are a great nutritious, tasty snack. There are various price points, from the more expensive commercial packaged ones, to make your own from canned chickpeas, to the very frugal homemade from bulk dry chickpeas.

I was going to suggest the same...super super cheap and one can make different 'flavors' using various spice profiles.

Frozen grapes - Greek yogurt 'bark' - frozen yogurt on a sheet pan (put blueberries, whatever you might like - sugar free chocolate chips, etc)

Meringue 'cookies'

Kale chips w/ nutritional yeast

Veggie 'chips'
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    I don't get chick peas. I know, I know. If I don't like em, don't eat em. I get that.

But, seriously. Is there any other pulse that has worst taste and texture than a chick pea? I mean think about eating a cup of sweet peas, or Lima beans or even red lentils all with a lot less calories. And actual good tase without 5 cloves of garlic needed.

Why chick peas.?
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I don't get chick peas. I know, I know. If I don't like em, don't eat em. I get that.

But, seriously. Is there any other pulse that has worst taste and texture than a chick pea? I mean think about eating a cup of sweet peas, or Lima beans or even red lentils all with a lot less calories. And actual good tase without 5 cloves of garlic needed.

Why chick peas.?

I'm talking about roasting them up into crispy, crunchy (yummy imo) thing...98jekv0cqavc.png
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    ^^^ Those look pretty good.
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    In addition to other things mentioned-

Lentils. Can be added to so many savory things, and they help thicken soups and stews.

Walnuts and almonds. Seem expensive, but high in nutrition, so a few can be satisfying.

Potatoes! Sweet, white-all are cheap, nutritious, and satisfying. Chips, planks, crusts, cookies, pasta...!

Onions. Cheap and you can stuff them with a variety of meats and veggies.

I am low income, too, and not super fond of bananas but they are the cheapest fruit here per pound. Slice and freeze the overripe ones. They are sometimes discounted, too.

Can't say enough about eggs! You can add them to stuff to improve protein content and volume for lower cost. And deviled eggs are so easy, so quick, and so good! I boil eggs, slice in half, and pop the yolks into baggie. Add salt, pepper, mayo or flaxseed oil, and a little pickle juice and yellow mustard. If i have time, i add chopped pickles or capers and onions. Smush in baggie, clip off end, and squeeze into cooked whites. Sprinkle with sweet smoked paprika. You can make a sweet version using honey, flaxseed oil, salt, vanilla, and lemon juice and zest. Add cottage cheese for a creamier cheesecaky taste.

Speaking of zest, you can take any citrus peel, remove the white pith and cut in strips. Added to a canister of granulated sugar, these will add a great flavor and scent to your tea and baking! Layer peels and sugar all the way to top, close tight, snd leave for at least a week. Cool thing is that the pells now taste a little like a candy!

Back to potatoes: a new thing to me is to make sweet potatoes into steak fries in oven. Mix natural pb, fresh ginger, soy sauce, lemon juice. Dip or drizzle potatoes! Yum! Could be a whole meal for me😉