Ordering take out

Options
abombico1
abombico1 Posts: 1 Member
We are ordering chinese tonight. I ate well all dayband have 1000 calories left. Is that enough for a plate of Chinese? We usually get pork fried rice, chicken and broccoli, lo mein...stuff like that

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It depends. If this is a small local business, try looking up similar menu items from a chain like PF Chang and logging approximate amounts. 1000 calories is enough to have a satisfying meal of some Chinese foods but a big meal of the right foods can be much more. And a lot depends on how much oil is used.

With small businesses owned by the cook I have good luck telling the chef I am a diabetic on a diet and asking him to make food for me like I was a family member with the same problem. There’s often no problem asking for extra veggies, less sauce, or whatever you want.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Probably - particularly if you skip the rice and sub in extra veg for it.
  • jbanta07
    jbanta07 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think 1,000 should be fine, especially if you fill up on mostly vegetables and meat. Then maybe treat yourself to a smaller portion of the less healthy stuff, like the noodles or any fried stuff (like eggrolls).
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Here are my tips for handling Chinese takeout:

* Weigh your portion out onto a plate/into a bowl, don't eat straight from the carton. Safe to assume there are at least two, possibly three or even four portions in the container.
    * Steamed is better than baked is better than fried. (Goes for rice, too - skip the fried rice in favor of steamed or no rice, unless that's all you're getting.)
    * Get sauce on the side if possible - this should be an option if your local Chinese place has a "special diet" section of the menu.
    * Log as best you can, err on the side of overestimating, and drink plenty of water.
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love chinese food! It certainly looks healthy and tastes great! BUT-be aware that a lot of the asian cuisines add sugar to balance the salty flavors of soy and/or fish sauce, so looks are deceptive. If sugar is a trigger food for you, be careful. Restaurants that use MSG are a no-no for me, because it increases my perceived hunger level. Drinking lots of hot tea or hot water with meal helps.

Some chefs will make a fresh veggie salad/new kimchi if you ask. Hot sauce makes an acceptable dressing for this.

I eat steamed rice rather than fried. Personally, i like white better than brown rice, even though brown is a little better nutrtion wise.

Bottom line is-if i am eating out or over my limits, i am kind to myself and just start over the next meal😉.