How did you unlearn diet culture?

Options
2»

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    The original post is from April, and the OP hasn't been back on since May.
  • slb260
    slb260 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    slb260 wrote: »
    I've been following someone who is a "diet culture rebel". They say to never weigh yourself, avoid all people focussed on weight loss, eat everything (when you're hungry), etc.

Sounds like how I got fat in the first place lol.

Right?? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    As long as there is an abundance of food the diet culture is not going away. Diets will always be used as a means to compensate for all kinds of conditions.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It is very hard to switch your mindset from "I want to lose weight" to "I want to live healthier." If I have a goal to just lose weight, I'm consumed by the scale. So I learned to only weigh myself maybe once a week. Also, I try to make small changes at a time. For example, start with just 20 min of cardio. Then increase by 5 min intervals if I want. Also, I do changes in my diet slowly, such as "a little alcohol socially" to "no alcohol" and "carbonated flavored water only" to "no carbonated drinks." If I made a small change when I think of it, it all eventually adds up to be a healthier lifestyle. Only recently do I have a new rule of no dessert if eating out unless it is a very special event. Sometimes it seems like I'm not losing fast enough, like a gerbil running around going nowhere. However even if I stay the same weight I'm eating clear and healthier for my body. That was a long, rambling post!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Sounds like how I got fat in the first place lol.

Thunderclap. Drumroll.

In a nutshell and not the whole bushel that's some serious truth. The anti-dieting dogma is just as vague as all of the other food mind warp. The anti-dieting culture uses substitute words and terms for dieting but they all mean the same things. It's mostly slick marketing tricks.

I'm on a journey
    Nutritional therapy
    It's a way of life
    Intuitive Eating
    Following hunger cues
    Lifestyle change
    Cultivating body respect
    Wellness plan
    Healthy meal plan

It's not the word diet that brings on negative behaviors or a poor relationship with food. It's complex.
    You have to find the deeper reason for getting fit under real life conditions or none of this will stick.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    1,200 calories is the recommended for a 5 year old... that’s obviously not sustainable long term. Everything in moderation. People so say keto / paleo / plant based works, it all works because you’re in a calorie deficit!

Move more, but in ways you enjoy. Join a running group, a dance class, yoga group, CrossFit, but do it because you want to for you. Don’t kill yourself doing an exercise you hate, that just makes you not want to do it ever again. Have one glass of wine instead of 3 with friends, or make them spritzers, or have spirits and slim line tonics, or have a beer and just enjoy yourself.

It’s like shopping. Some days you spend loads of money (probably on the weekend) whilst other days you might not spend anything at all. Sometimes you’ll overeat, but be mindful and make it up in other areas. x

This is very much incorrect. At 4'11 and within a healthy weight range, my NEAT is only around 1,300 at sedentary. This means that 1,200 would have me losing weight very, very slowly! At 5'2 1,200 still would not be an unhealthy amount to eat for a slow and steady loss but she should be eating back at least half of those exercise calories so she is not hungry all the time.

I have a 6 and 8 year old, I think the recommendation is more like 1400-1500 for growing kids. But children are GROWING exponentially. My 8 year old put on 8lbs in the past 6 months (I hear kids grown a lot more in the spring/summer). That was like ~17% body weight increase! He's still thin as a beanpole, I don't know where he put it.

Anyway, being shorter than the OP, 1200 is not unhealthy for a sedentary person. But if you move your body at all, you have to account for those calories. I'm 5'0" and the lowest calorie level I have ever eaten at was 1450.

I don't know what you mean about "unlearn diet culture" - I have never been on a yoyo diet, my "diet" has always been about balance. Moderate carb, moderate fat, moderate protein. I go for a (loose) macro spilt, from 40-30-30 to 35-35-30 (c/f/p). I have never felt severely restricted. Some days I choose to eat more calorie dense foods so I have to eat less, but most days I round out my day nicely at 1500 (my current goal, and I eat exercise calories on exercise days).
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    What is diet culture?