Do beer calories really count?

Options
stealthette
stealthette Posts: 35 Member
edited July 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Every time I drink, which isn't often, the following morning my poop stinks of ammonia. When I looked this up online the ammonia smell might be from undigested food.

Do you think that could mean you absorb fewer calories 1. from the drink itself and 2. from whatever you had from dinner? Ammonia smell means not as well absorbed if it means undigested right?

Absorption - from what I've read - happens over and over again as food goes through us (I was looking up constipation recently and watched a video talking about this saying each round of absorption reduces water from the "product" for want of a better word, and that's one way you get constipation).

Living in hope because I have huge pizza, garlic bread, and dessert to eat with the football tonight and I feel so guilty about adding the beer to it all. I've done so much chicken salad these past few months, so dedicated, I feel so sad when I should feel really happy!

Replies

• age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I’m pretty sure they count. But I wouldn’t worry about one occasional night of pizza, beer and all. Consistency over a period of time is what generates results.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Of course they count. And unlike carbs, alcohol CANNOT be stored by the body, so it has to be metabolized. Until it's out of your system (metabolized) the body DOES NOT burn any other energy source. So no carbs or fats. A good reason NOT to drink before bed because you inhibit any stored fat loss burning.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lhenderson923
    Lhenderson923 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes they count.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to tell you that beer calories count as double!!!

Joking - just - but of all the alcohol there is I have found beer to be the absolute worst for weight gain. In fact my weight loss was kick started by going on a cruise and not drinking any of the beer that used to be my tipple of choice. The cocktails were too tempting. On returning from the cruise I had put on weight, yes, but not NEARLY as much as I had done on previous cruises where I had stuck mostly to beer, drinks-wise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Most definitely they count...
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Beer can upset my gut as well. But, I appear to gain weight easily by drinking a lot of it. I also seem to get a little short-term weight gain when I drink on consecutive nights for a while (as when I'm on vacation). It goes away in a few days.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,047 Member
    Options
    Suspect that part of what some folks are attributing to beer (fat gain, bloating, water retention, . . . ) is more likely related to the carbohydrates in the beer, or to the carbonation in the beer, rather than the alcohol in the beer.

No, alcohol is not a carbohydrate, despite what someone(s) have asserted on other thread. Alcohol is its own pseudo-macro-like category. But beer and wine have carbohydrates, too, and of course a bunch of water . . . beer commonly even has a tiny, tiny bit of protein, and some micros. 😉
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    yes that is good point Ann - the calories in alcoholic drinks dont just come from the alcohol - beer has carbs, wines have sugars, most spirits have sugar (and obviously the mixers if you use regular soda, juice etc)

One possibility, not neccesarily for OP - is to find ways to drink lower calorie alcoholic drinks - eg low carb beers, use diet soda as mixer etc
    There will still be calories, of course - but less of them for your 'alcohol buck'
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,047 Member
    Options
    yes that is good point Ann - the calories in alcoholic drinks dont just come from the alcohol - beer has carbs, wines have sugars, most spirits have sugar (and obviously the mixers if you use regular soda, juice etc)

One possibility, not neccesarily for OP - is to find ways to drink lower calorie alcoholic drinks - eg low carb beers, use diet soda as mixer etc
    There will still be calories, of course - but less of them for your 'alcohol buck'

To someone who enjoys craft beers (like me) low carb beers, and low calorie beers, are mostly shudder-inducing. (Though I've had a couple of lower ABV IPAs recently that at least had a flavor rather than being water-esque.)

Most of us, I think, may have treats that we prefer to budget calories for, rather than having a reduced-cal sub.

Spirits + seltzer + bitters works for me as a lower cal cocktail. Not as good as beer with pizza, however.

Can't speak for OP, though. 😉
  • stealthette
    edited July 2021
    Options

Does wine really have sugars?! I make homemade wine and it is not complete until the yeast has consumed the sugar and died. It dies from starvation but what it pooped out while alive is your alcohol content. How can it still have sugar? If you add sugar it just starts the process again surely? I dunno, I follow the packet, I'm not a wine-making expert by and stretch of the imagination.

I'm so disappointed if this is true.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    You could try Adams Ale. Tastes good, you can add lemon or other flavourings.

Said with a hug.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    Depends on the wine.

all the charts I looked up said some sugar in wines - from very little in dry reds to more in wines like moselle.
  • stealthette
    Options
    @paperpudding I guess that gives me an excuse to make another demijohn up hehehe. It amazes me the things that contain sugar that you'd never guess. Anyway thanks for the info.
  • stealthette
    Options
    @fuzzipeg One day I'll be that disciplined. I'll probably be asleep and dreaming though.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I was only teasing. You left the door wide open for me. You will get where you want to.

eta. You could always have one a week, giggle.