Has anyone seen success switching to Organic?

Options
I have been reading alot about nutrition and your body lately and how the effects of toxins in our food can lead to weight gain and other health issues. I am curious if anyone switched to an organic lifestyle and saw good changes in weight or medical condition?

Currently as of a week ago I am doing IF 14/10, cut out processed foods and switched to an organic lifestyle, and use the elliptical from 10 to 20min a day. I have high blood sugar and blood pressure so I am hoping to see a good change there and my weight but im not sure if its wishful thinking since im not noticing much movement on the scale

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    When it comes to fruits, I think much of "organic" differentiation is just BS. My belief is that the producers like Driscolls produce 100% organic and label their better looking produce organic tp charge 50% more and the not so good looking without the "organic claim" at the competitive price point.

I say this because I have raised plants of all types organic (without chemical fertilizers and pesticides) and there is no way that organic foods look better when harvested. and, yet, that is exactly what the producers would have you believe.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I eat that way to support those farmers and their chosen farming practices/the local economy and for overall freshness and taste.

This.

I also DO opt for organic in certain grocery store foods like celery and strawberries because they're crops with lots of ground contact. I go conventional with fruits and veggies with a husk or peel that I'm going to remove (mango, large turnips) or that I will wash before I eat them (lettuce, cabbages, apples)
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Washing fruit and veges is good to remove dirt and sand. Does nothing for bacteria.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have noticed improvements in energy and wellbeing with a switch to healthy eating (less sugar, white flour, processed foods). I dont think a change to organic per se will make much difference in how you feel in the short term. I think the benefits of organic are more about prevention of cancer and disease in the long term, as well as being better for the planet. If you drink a lot of alcohol, then cutting that out should help high blood pressure. Also, exercise will help blood pressure even if you dont loose weight. Other than that, if you are overweight, the weight will probably be a bigger factor in blood pressure than type of food, (for some salt also makes a big difference, for others it makes no difference.) For blood sugar and cholesterol, people differ a lot. For some diet makes a huge difference, for others the weight matters more than what you eat. You just have to see what your numbers do.
  • iam4scuba
    iam4scuba Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When it comes to fruits, I think much of "organic" differentiation is just BS. My belief is that the producers like Driscolls produce 100% organic and label their better looking produce organic tp charge 50% more and the not so good looking without the "organic claim" at the competitive price point.

I say this because I have raised plants of all types organic (without chemical fertilizers and pesticides) and there is no way that organic foods look better when harvested. and, yet, that is exactly what the producers would have you believe.

I have heard this before, and it generally makes sense to me from a logic standpoint, for something like bananas or apples which are cheap to grow/lb and don't sell for very much (organic or not).

Even assuming this is true though, I doubt the same could be said for more expensive produce like avocados, berries, nuts, etc. so I don't think that's the case with those types of items.

I do agree with you that organic produce rarely "looks as good" as pesticide ridden produce.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Washing fruit and veges is good to remove dirt and sand. Does nothing for bacteria.

Commercially produced produce has surface bacteria, too. Washing DOES help remove many trace pesticides (but not all.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    What keeps me paying the premium for the organics is when I drive past the extensive corn and soy fields where I live and I see all the weeds yellowing and dying amongst the sparkling green crops after they come through with the crop dusters. It just highlights for me the absurdity of literally drenching a plant with poisons throughout its growing cycle and then eating it. That just can’t be very good for you.
    So do you use makeup or cleansers on your body? You realize soap is made of lye (which is caustic)? Dosage matters. And specific pesticides kill specific plants/weeds. If you go to a lawn and garden shop, you'll find fertilizers that kill weeds in your lawn, but don't affect the lawn itself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options

Commercially produced produce has surface bacteria, too. Washing DOES help remove many trace pesticides (but not all.)

Not to mention that the post you quoted is incorrect, I believe: IMU, proper washing can reduce bacteria on fruits/veg (as well as other residues) . . . . not that that's any more on topic to this thread than saying it doesn't remove bacteria. 🙄