Over a hundred lost in 10 months

Options
EyeOTS
EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
edited July 2021 in Success Stories
Last September I had medical issues relating to my weight: high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, gout just to name a few. That and the global pandemic scared me into taking action to eat better. I have been a number of different weights through-out my life, but at that time I was the heaviest I'd ever been. This was terrifying for a number of reasons: one being that this was only PRE diabetes, meaning that it could get even worse. It was scary to be considered 'at risk' during an already deeply concerning virus.

Since then I have lost over a hundred pounds in ten months, just about the maximum recommended of 2 pounds per week. I would like to say that I did it all healthily but looking back there were probably times that I pushed myself too hard.

I'm not quite ready for pictures just yet, but I will update soon.

Tips:
-Calories in. The vast majority of my success comes down to knowing your target calorie goals and counting calories. A lot of the advice out there boils down to ways to create a calorie deficite and to satiate hunger without binging.
- Sleep. It is good in general but more so for me because I work NOC.
- Listen to advice and try it but realize it might not be for you. I tried a lot of dieting tips out there and while some of them worked short term, some of them caused me to push myself too hard. As an over 300 pound man, I shouldn't have been listening to certain tips that were more for females half my weight or made by The Rock. They have different needs and goals and psycology. I probably should not have had 1200 calorie days: while I lost weight doing it, it made me cranky and I ended up falling 'off track' some days.
- Buy containers that help with portion control/measuring. I'm loving these 30ml and 45ml little cups with lids so I can take sauces to work.
- Meals that are TOO low in calories aren't necessarilly the best. They might not end up satiating your hunger and will make you end up eating something else in addition. I've started to actually make my meals larger and more balanced instead of trying to cut corners by giving myself a minimal meal.
- Find meals that you really want and plan around those. Perferably healthy meals, but if you really really want an occasional birthday cake or chicken strips then do it, just be honest and log it in. It's better than trying to never have your favorite foods ever again.
- I often find a new vegtable or fruit each week or month and try to find ways to encorporate it.
- I try not to drink my calories. I tried Slim Fast and juice cleanses, it just doesn't work for me. I know it has worked for others as way to get their fruit and vegtables in, but it just doesn't satiate me.

Months ago I was able to get off of the blood pressure and metformin (guided by my PCP with plenty of tests to make sure it was done safely). It's been a huge change and honestly I am still adapting to it. Now I need to make sure it sticks! I need to continue to make healthy choices and make sure I'm not pushing myself too hard or in unhealthy ways.

Replies

• EyeOTS
    Options
    Sand_TIger wrote: »
    Great job! You've transformed your health. I completely agree with what you are saying about different weight loss tips being suited for different people and different bodies. I'm stuck with the tips meant for small women because that's what I am - but I've still managed to get rid of about 95 pounds. You have done an amazing thing! Way to go!

Thank you!
    That's an amazing success, congratulations.
  • JudyKenova2022
    JudyKenova2022 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What an encouragement 👏 you're doing great 👍
  • swimmama41
    swimmama41 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your story. It helps to read these encouraging posts.
  • TMcCoy241
    TMcCoy241 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great job! Thanks for the tips and motivation!
  • sikorski
    sikorski Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's amazing! One thing I've learned is that I have to do what is right for me. I'm a 71-year-old petite woman, and what works for younger or taller people with better metabolisms doesn't work for me. I have to be patient and persistent through several plateaus, then see 2 pounds come off overnight.
  • EyeOTS
    edited July 2021
    Options
    sikorski wrote: »
    Congrats! That's amazing! One thing I've learned is that I have to do what is right for me. I'm a 71-year-old petite woman, and what works for younger or taller people with better metabolisms doesn't work for me. I have to be patient and persistent through several plateaus, then see 2 pounds come off overnight.

Exatly and that's just the physiological differences. When you talk about psychological differences and tastes, the differences intensify. Listen to what worked for others and try it, but realize your physiology and psychology might be different. (And some advice out there is just a money making scam).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!