BMR vs. Suggested Cal Intake?

Options
2»

Replies

• theperfectratio
    theperfectratio Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    No, eating less than your total energy expenditure (the second and higher number) is the way to go.
    Ooohhhhh. Hm. So then is the website's suggested weight loss cal target BETWEEN the BMR # and the # under it?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm...took a look at a link someone else posted earlier (http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced) and the site says this:

This can be a helpful tool for weight loss as it allows you to estimate the amount of calories that represents your energy balance. If you eat less than this, you will lose weight.

It seems to suggest that eating BELOW your BMR is the way to go.

No, eating less than your total energy expenditure (the second and higher number) is the way to go.

Depending on how much weight you have to lose, you will probably start out eating under both. Losing 2 pounds a week is a 1000 calorie a day deficit, and I know very few people who have a 1000 calorie or more difference between their BMR and TDEE (more active people will, but that's not a majority of people who have a large amount of weight to lose.) Again, there is no scientific study I've found that has shown eating under your BMR to be harmful. Eating under 1050 calories is harmful, but eating under your BMR is not.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Ooohhhhh. Hm. So then is the website's suggested weight loss cal target BETWEEN the BMR # and the # under it?

Yes, and a 500 calorie deficit is what is generally recommended, but depends I suppose on the difference between your BMR and TEE. It could also depend on the intensity and type of exercise you do. I would start out with a 500 calorie deficit for a few weeks if your numbers allow you to, and then adjust as you go.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You should never eat below your BMR. A good rule of thumb is to multiply your BMR by 1.2 (that's 20% over BMR) for the minimum number or calories to eat.

Take a listen to the fat2fitradio podcasts. Very good, solid, info on losing weight and keeping it off.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options

Here, I'll make it simple for you.

Go to www.fat2fitradio.com. Use their free BMR tool. This will calculate the calories you should eat to reach your target weight goal.

They recommend losing weight slowly and permanently by eating a moderate calorie deficit and their calculators will guide you to eat the maintenance calories of your target weight (that way, once you lose the weight, there is not big transition from significant calorie deficit to maintenance)

I believe the calorie minimimum they recommend is BMR * 1.2.

(note - I've used this calculator and use the "sedentary" activity level and add back in my exercise calories and eat them back, since I use a HRM which I think is pretty reliable).

Good luck!
  • theperfectratio
    Options

Go to www.fat2fitradio.com. Use their free BMR tool. This will calculate the calories you should eat to reach your target weight goal.

They recommend losing weight slowly and permanently by eating a moderate calorie deficit and their calculators will guide you to eat the maintenance calories of your target weight (that way, once you lose the weight, there is not big transition from significant calorie deficit to maintenance)

(note - I've used this calculator and use the "sedentary" activity level and add back in my exercise calories and eat them back, since I use a HRM which I think is pretty reliable).

Good luck!
    Thanks for the info. I'm only really confused because there seems to be a huge amount of dissent on these forums--50/50 on people saying 'eat at BMR' and those saying 'eat under BMR'. I'm also curious as to why MFP would tell me to eat a net of 1200 cals a day if my BMR is 1525 (and thus I should be eating 1525*1.2 to lose healthily, according to your train of thought). It seems a little strange, given that MFP is pretty 'lose it healthily' focused. I'll check out the calculator though. Thank you!
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bump

Useful post, with a lot of interesting links/info!
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • theperfectratio
    Options
    the fat2fit calculator is telling me to eat 2000-2250 calories per day if I exercise 1-3 or 3-5 days a week? That seems high...Am I just succumbing to the "eat less, weigh less" mentality? >_<
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Bump

Useful post, with a lot of interesting links/info!
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Good luck!
    Thanks for the info. I'm only really confused because there seems to be a huge amount of dissent on these forums--50/50 on people saying 'eat at BMR' and those saying 'eat under BMR'. I'm also curious as to why MFP would tell me to eat a net of 1200 cals a day if my BMR is 1525 (and thus I should be eating 1525*1.2 to lose healthily, according to your train of thought). It seems a little strange, given that MFP is pretty 'lose it healthily' focused. I'll check out the calculator though. Thank you!

1525 * 1.2 would actually be your TDEE, if you're sedentary. Eating that would maintain your weight. Go with what MFP suggests, eating your actual BMR would result in about a one quarter pound a week loss, which is fine if you only have 10 pounds to lose. If you have more to lose, I'd suggest going with MFP's suggestions.

Again, there is no scientific evidence that says you can't eat under your BMR. 1200 is the minimum number of net calories required for adequate nutrition (for a female.)