[Help] 5'4 female calorie deficit

Options
2»

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If you care to know this site can be converted to multiple languages, just search the site 😉

And that includes forums in other languages too.
    But with other people and sometimes very different kinds of advice. I tried the forums in Dutch and every poster seemed to get the advice to calculate their TDEE via an external website and to certainly NOT trust the MFP numbers, for example! I think the English boards are the most visited too (certainly compared to Dutch and French, I seem to remember).
  • H275D
    H275D Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    H275D wrote: »
    How 'bout she joins this site and asks her own questions? It sounds like she's doing fine, she doesn't have much to lose so 1/2 pound per week is the right rate.

1.5 pounds per week is too aggressive at her current weight.

I'd stick to the 1560 calories. No reason to eat that much protein. What's that about?

It doesn't matter who asks the question, maybe she doesnt know about forums and MFP..

0.9g/lb ..

You said she's your GF. How about you tell her about forums and MFP? It actually is kinda odd (to me) that you're here asking this when it's her life/weight/choices.

Why is she eating so much protein?

Why does she need to lose faster?

Because she doesnt speak english and there arent many useful forums in our native language that I know of where people can discuss nutrition. She wanted to go and pay to see a "nutritionist" but i told her i could post whatever questions you have on a forum that i know which is really good for these kind of things. Little did I know that I would come across people who care about her more than I do. And about the protein after reading and watching videos on how to create macros for a calorie deficit, protein should be between 0.7g/lb - 1g/lb so she went with 0.9g/lb which is in the middle. And why does she want to lose faster, we are not talking about much here, just around 0.7kg / week.

Geee I'm a independent woman, but nothing wrong with helping each other in relationships why does he have to explain xyz just to get a decent , respectful answer here. Get out people relationships already unless they ask you.

Alot of people old and young alike are just like his girlfriend. Sick of seeing responses that have nothing to do with the subject.

🙃🤫🤪🤐👎

Thanks for that!
  • H275D
    H275D Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    If you care to know this site can be converted to multiple languages, just search the site 😉

And that includes forums in other languages too.
    But with other people and sometimes very different kinds of advice. I tried the forums in Dutch and every poster seemed to get the advice to calculate their TDEE via an external website and to certainly NOT trust the MFP numbers, for example! I think the English boards are the most visited too (certainly compared to Dutch and French, I seem to remember).

Thanks for passing by!
  • Luluetduet8
    Luluetduet8 Posts: 49 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    For sure. For some background that other post was not done for my personal goals. It was actually more of a thought I was having while on a walk. I just had a little fun with the way I wrote it which probably came off as someone super impatient for change.

That said I am a little mad about the advice I was given to do a cut the way I have done. I wouldn’t have done it this way if a fitness professional didn’t make that plan fit me, but now I’m questioning their professionalism since in hindsight, it seems a little unnecessary for someone aiming at general fitness. Hopefully four weeks of a pound a week cutting didn’t mess up something lol.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about one month causing permanent harm at one lb a week. We're pretty resilient as a species! :lol: Sure, you COULD cause harm in one month under the above scenario--but not likely for someone starting from a non edge normal weight position.

female, small deficit, weight fluctuations... weight trend web site and/or phone app and patience :smile:

You pay money for results, right? So if you don't see immediate "results" you may not continue paying--right?
    Now what happens when the best result would not include an immediate result?! :open_mouth:
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Is she eating more on days she lifts, eating back the exercise calories? I find that can often put me into maintenance if I mis-estimate. Also, at 5’5 with a desk job, my maintenance is close to 1600, so it would be easy for me to accidentally eat at maintenance. However I agree with others about patience and female weight fluctuations with monthly cycles, etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    jbanta07 wrote: »
    I wouldn't change too much if she is already successfully losing weight and finds her meal and exercise routine maintainable. Maybe just start with 100 calories less, bringing it down to 1460 a day and go from there.

She can go lower still, but it is about finding a lifestyle that she can stick with. She could certainly drop down to 1200 and probably lose weight faster, but it would be a pretty restrictive diet, and she might have less energy for working out.

My suggestion would be to make small changes first, see how it goes, and then adjust again depending on how she is feeling. I think the next goal would be to find ways to be more active throughout the day.

Thanks for your reply, what is it about ppl saying dont eat less than BMR and 1200 will stall your weight after couple weeks?
    1. Undereating is stressful to the body
    2. Stress can raise cortisol
    3. Cortisol can cause water retention
    4. Water retention can mask fat loss on the scale
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Fair enough! :)

I think she's doing great. It's slow going when there isn't much weight to lose. That's the healthiest, most sustainable way.

With that said, I used to be able to lose 10 pounds in two weeks when I was 22. But, to be fair - I was living off beer, cigarettes, caffeine and bike rides. Not Recommended!!

Here's a good graphic: weight loss should be slow with 6kg to lose.

cfpqwo9vvrsi.png

That's very informative, thank you! And yes, i keep on explaining to her that she needs to lose the last pounds slow and steady, im totally with that. But she keeps freaking out when weight loss doesn't go her way and the scale moves up a little bit which make me freak out because shes freaking out xD .. I'm just trying to support her and guide her through whatever goal she wants to reach but in the right way.

My scale moves up when I retain water twice a month, at ovulation and premenstrually. Because of this, I compare my weight to the same point in my cycle as last MONTH, not last WEEK.

I can "gain" as much as 5 pounds of water weight when I ovulate.

I also weight daily and log this into the Happy Scale app, and look at my weight loss TREND rather than the daily number.