Road bike fit and buying online/direct

Options
jjpptt2
jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
My primary road bike has always been a touch too big for me. Back when I was riding more, in better shape, and a bit lighter, the fit issues were only enough to be an annoyance, never an actual problem. But now it's enough to make me not want to ride.

And that seems like a good reason to buy a new bike.

I'm still in the thinking/research phase of things, but I'm kicking around the idea of buying a Canyon direct from Canyon. Is this a terrible idea given the whole reason I'm buying a new bike is due to fit issues (mostly reach)? I'm not new to riding, nor do I have any odd physiology that makes bike fitting difficult... but still, this seems risky.

It's about an $800 price difference between the Canyon and a comparable Specialized or Cervelo, which would be my other options. Someone talk me down off the ledge.

Replies

• Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    If a new bike make you want to get out there - that’s a good reason. The number of bikes you need is a simple formula: n+1 where n is the number you currently have lol!

On a more serious note- if you haven’t had a fitting recently, maybe try it with your old bike. Be sure you go to a real pro- someone recommended for road bikes. Sometimes the fit needs a change- particularly if you have some mobility issues (possible if you haven’t been riding much). If you think you bought the wrong size- don’t bring it back where you bought it - they already advised you wrongly.

My road bike needed some modifications-particularly to the stem which was too aggressive for me. Also wanted to add that i saves hundreds by buying a prior year’s model at the local shop. Maybe they have something (maybe I just got lucky).

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If it gets you riding again that's a great reason to splash the cash.

If you get the right frame size the rest is adjustable.
    Could you have a word with your local trusted bike fitter just to confirm they agree the size you think is right actually will be?

Cost saving on the bike could also fund a professional fitting, I found my position was pretty good but was significantly improved with a load of small tweaks.
    The only equipment recommended from my fitting were different shoe inserts and a new saddle (resolving saddle discomfort was the primary driver for me and the biggest win).

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    How far off is your current bike?

You can take the geometry chart for the Canyon to a fitter. You bought be able to find one locally to borrow. I think they have a return policy, seems like they have to go sell direct.

Which Cervelo is in consideration? They're expensive, but great bikes!
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If it gets you riding again that's a great reason to splash the cash.

If you get the right frame size the rest is adjustable.
    Could you have a word with your local trusted bike fitter just to confirm they agree the size you think is right actually will be?

Cost saving on the bike could also fund a professional fitting, I found my position was pretty good but was significantly improved with a load of small tweaks.
    The only equipment recommended from my fitting were different shoe inserts and a new saddle (resolving saddle discomfort was the primary driver for me and the biggest win).

I've got a 54cm Cannondale CAAD12 that fits pretty well and a 56cm Specialized Roubaix that is a bit too long. I can pull geometry/measurements from those 2 bikes (hopefully) and have a pretty good idea of what fits and what doesn't... so I don't think buying online would be a complete unknown. But then again... I don't know what I don't know.

You bring up a good point about everything else being adjustable.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    How far off is your current bike?

You can take the geometry chart for the Canyon to a fitter. You bought be able to find one locally to borrow. I think they have a return policy, seems like they have to go sell direct.

Which Cervelo is in consideration? They're expensive, but great bikes!

Not far. The biggest thing is that I need a bit less reach. I've already shortened thing up with saddle position and stem length as much as is reasonably possible (both from a previous bike fit and through my own fit trial and error)... so I think I've reached the limits of how short this frame can ride.

I'm looking at 105 level builds, Ultegra if the price is really that good (but so far they aren't)... the base Caledonia is on my list of considerations. My tri bike is a Cervelo, and I've rented a few when traveling... I'm a fan, especially now that the have some more competitive options at lower pricepoints.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I've been riding a C3 for years and love it. Old version of the Caledonia. But Canyons seem like great bikes and everyone I know who's had one has been happy with it. It's a lot of bike for the $$.

It sounds like you're on the right track. But we're not going to tell you not to buy a bike. 😃
  • jjpptt2
    edited July 2021
    Options
    But we're not going to tell you not to buy a bike. 😃

Sorry, my original post must not have been clear. The question is not should I buy a bike, but rather buying direct from Canyon vs buying from an LBS.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I think you should buy a Cervelo because they're great bikes and you can't go wrong with the C series. 🙂

But you know exactly where your fit needs to be. If you can't find geometry numbers for the bikes you currently have to compare against you can measure the relevant stuff to compare against. Or get pre fit.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/customer-service/returns.html

Looks like you get 30 days to decide whether you'll keep it, and they'll pay return shipping if not.
  • jjpptt2
    edited July 2021
    Options
    The more I look, the more I'm finding that a shorter reach (good) also comes with a shorter stack (not sure if good or bad)...

I'm leaning more towards going through an LBS that knows what they are doing, rather than leaving it up to me who probably only knows enough to get himself into trouble. It'll cost more, but if I ride the bike for 10+ years like I did my current Specialized, then it'll be worth the extra $800 to get things right the first time. Plus, supporting a good LBS is always good.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I went in a slightly different direction at the start. Coughed up the cash for a professional bike fit from a guy who makes his living as a fitter first. He fit me on a GURU system to get numbers for a road bike. He then took my existing Cannondale roadie and fit it to those numbers. He also did a fit in my triathlon position, then gave me three or four examples of tri bikes that would easily fit my numbers. When I bought the tri bike I had it shipped directly to him. He also does tune ups and maintenance on my bike, since I'm much less knowledgeable and patient about bike repairs than most who are posting here.

Looking forward to following your bike selection thread to the new purchase. I have several roadie friends in the Canyon and S-Works camps, as well as numerous Cervelo lovers among the triathlon set.

• jjpptt2
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I went in a slightly different direction at the start. Coughed up the cash for a professional bike fit from a guy who makes his living as a fitter first. He fit me on a GURU system to get numbers for a road bike. He then took my existing Cannondale roadie and fit it to those numbers. He also did a fit in my triathlon position, then gave me three or four examples of tri bikes that would easily fit my numbers. When I bought the tri bike I had it shipped directly to him. He also does tune ups and maintenance on my bike, since I'm much less knowledgeable and patient about bike repairs than most who are posting here.

Looking forward to following your bike selection thread to the new purchase. I have several roadie friends in the Canyon and S-Works camps, as well as numerous Cervelo lovers among the triathlon set.

If I do end up boing through an LBS, I'll do something similar to what you did (get fit measurements, then see what fits those numbers)... but living in a small town I don't have any shops within 2hrs that offer more than 1 or 2 good road brands, so I want to have an idea of what I want and what will work (both for my riding and for my budget), so I know what shop(s) to hit.

Unfortunately I can't go into a shop, get fit, then have 5 different bikes/brands as options.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I was agonizing about this in the spring! I have an OK road bike, but as a birthday splurge I was considering buying a much nicer one. The Canyons look really good!

What saved me about $3k was that nothing was available-- and I see that the one I wanted (Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0, Medium size) is still out of stock. I bought a bunch of parts and accessories instead.

Note: there continues to be a global bicycle shortage! Maybe wait until next year? Maybe buy a shorter stem for your existing bike?

The fitting issue also bothered me. Three of my local shops offered fitting, even during quarantine. It came with a discount if you bought a bike from them afterward, but it really wasn't all that significant, and they charged a discounted rate for any part substitutions (with labor), which usually meant either a different seat or stem. The fit gave you a recommended geometry, which you could compare to the Canyon specs and order the one that comes closest, making substitutions as necessary (e.g., to the stem and seat).

Now, the downside of fitting: You spend an hour on the fitting system deciding how you want your bike to feel. The fitter can ask questions about what kind of riding you will do and set you up for it. But, if you request a fit for the fastest time-trial geometry available, they will fit you to a very low aerodynamic position, which you may or may not like after an hour of riding (or even after 15 minutes). In other words, there is a question of preference, which can and will change over time. I now ride an "endurance" geometry, for example, whereas in my 20s I was very happy to ride a criterion bike for hours on end.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I'm 6'1", I have long legs and a shorter torso. Which puts me on a 58 cm, every one I've had has always come with a 110 mm stem and I've always been most comfortable on a 90 mm.

FWIW, shortening the stem makes a bike respond more quickly to steering input. If there's a scale from ponderous to twitchy, I prefer immediacy in handling myself so a short stem on a Cervelo is my idea of fun. But there's only so far you can go.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I think you should buy a Cervelo because they're great bikes and you can't go wrong with the C series. 🙂

Cervelo Caledonia was the other leading choice for me! Well, maybe next year!
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I'm 6'1", I have long legs and a shorter torso. Which puts me on a 58 cm, every one I've had has always come with a 110 mm stem and I've always been most comfortable on a 90 mm.

I'm 5'8" with short legs and ride bikes with a 530-535mm effective top tube. Every bike I brought came with a 90mm and I been changing it out with 110mm. Got 3 sitting in the garage, we should make an exchange, lol.

I'm actually in the middle of a build. Went with open mold, ultra light frame. Trying out Sensah Cabon 11 drive train with SRAM Force brakes (still waiting on the brakes and hope to have it finish next week). It's going to be my short distance climber, 11-34 cassette with compact cranks (yes, 1:1 ratio for my fat *kitten*). Trying out Sigeyi power meter also.

OP, get a pro bike fit. It was the best investment I made. I have used that fit guide on four different bike setup so far. My is four years old now and I'll probably be getting another done next year.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If you want to buy direct, cool. It will save you money. Cervelo vs Canyon? They're both great. I purchased my SpeedMax direct from Canyon. It arrived intact in a large, well engineered packing box. They had a URL to instructions on assembly, but I just jumped in and figured it out. I did look at the comparable Cervelo bike closely, but felt it wasn't as good a deal economically because the wheels were inferior and would have needed to be swapped out. That would have been another $2500.00 or so.

I would like to caution you not to ignore what's much more important than brand: FIT. The harder you ride, the greater an issue fit will become. If you intend to win a race, fit is a top priority. You should see a professional bike fitter to have them figure out what geometry you need while on your bike. Your fitter will have access to which sizes of which bikes can be adjusted to your needs. The fitter will either be able to adjust the bike for you or give you a very specific (down to the millimeter) set of instructions for a bike shop to adjust.

I figure bike fit made a >1 mph difference in my speed through my last triathlon bike split. In addition, a good fit allowed me to avoid pain and fatigue that was holding me back on the run, and that made a huge difference.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    Going to make some for adjustments by feel while watching today's tour stage...

ci5bmc53bzzq.jpg
  • jjpptt2
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Just for context...

I've been fitted, 3 different times to 2 different bikes. The fit for my tri bike was awful, and there's not much room for error on a tri bike. Both fits to my road bike have been fair.

IMO, It's a crapshoot, largely dependant on the fitter and your ability to feel subtle changes on a trainer/fit machine, and those changes don't always translate well to actual miles on an actual road.

Maybe that's why I'm a bit soured on the real need for a formal fit. Will I take advantage of it if I buy through an LBS? Absolutely. But I'm pretty sure I can feel my way to a fit that's 95% as good as what a pro would give me.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Inspirationalwaterjug Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    For the most part you can kinda feel it out but Might be too late might have already been covered. Get fitted then buy a buy where the geometry fits you.

https://ibfi-certification.com/find-a-fitter/
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Just for context...

I've been fitted, 3 different times to 2 different bikes. The fit for my tri bike was awful, and there's not much room for error on a tri bike. Both fits to my road bike have been fair.

IMO, It's a crapshoot, largely dependant on the fitter and your ability to feel subtle changes on a trainer/fit machine, and those changes don't always translate well to actual miles on an actual road.

Maybe that's why I'm a bit soured on the real need for a formal fit. Will I take advantage of it if I buy through an LBS? Absolutely. But I'm pretty sure I can feel my way to a fit that's 95% as good as what a pro would give me.

Agree completely that the fitter's knowledge and your ability to communicate with him/her is key. My fitter uses the GURU fit system and we spent over 3 hours working together during my first fitting. After many of the upfront measurements were made, and being observed while I rode my bike on the trainer, he put me on the GURU and we compared the feel of my "requested" optimal fit to different positional options. This was particularly helpful with the tri bike. I thought I wanted a very aggressive position, but when riding at higher power outputs, it just wasn't working. We added height to the aerobars and voila! much better.

He also had me take the bike out and ride for two weeks to see how it performed and whether I liked the fit. I then came back and we tweaked it a bit more. So it was money well spent in my case.