Exercice motivation while having kids around

Options
How to have a daily motivation to exercise

Replies

• cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    What age are they? If they are really young, there are some fun workouts online using toddlers and babies as your weights :smiley: D If they are older - get them involved with some body weight workouts and spend time with them doing physical things like cycling, swimming, trampolining, setting up obstacle races in the yard or playing ball or chase in the park. It's a double win to be interacting with them and working out.

Also I find 5-10 minute online HIIT and yoga or kettlebell workouts are easy enough to do while the children are asleep. Try Bodyfit or Kettlebells by Amy and Yoga with Adrienne - they both have some super short workouts that give results.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just enjoy being active and I'm outdoorsy. I don't really "workout" per sei save for a couple of days per week in the weight room. Most of my exercise is road cycling, mountain biking, and walking. I walk my dog most mornings with the sunrise and a travel mug of coffee. I road ride 3-4 days per week and try to get out on the trails with my MTB a few times per month...usually on the weekend.

How old are the kids? When my kids were toddlers I used to load them up in my little bike trailer if I was going for a ride and my wife wasn't available to watch them. My wife's a runner and would take them out in a jogging stroller. We did lots of family walks and just put them in the stroller. They are 9 and 11 now and both pretty active themselves as they have just grown up that way. We go for lots of family bike rides and walks and I occasionally take them MTB if I'm doing a fairly easy trail ride. We do lots of hikes when we're out camping and they both play competitive soccer. Teach them by example now to live an active life.
  • Jagged82
    Jagged82 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Get up early, before (young) kids, before coffee, start while drowsy... before daily life gets a hold of you and drags you along for the usual ride. 😁
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    SET THE EXAMPLE. Kids are a reflection of parents. Parents that stay fit usually have kids that do the same and vice versa. So in essence you're also doing this for your kids.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    SET THE EXAMPLE. Kids are a reflection of parents. Parents that stay fit usually have kids that do the same and vice versa. So in essence you're also doing this for your kids.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I have a 2.5 YO son at home, I like to get him involved where I can - we walk to a park and play soccer, or just take a walk together. When he was younger, I'd push him in a stroller. When he is older, I hope he will be confident enough to ride a bike while I walk.
    Aside from that, he's all tucked up in bed by 8/8:30pm. I get up at 5:30am for work, so I like to be in bed by 10pm. That gives me over an hour to get some exercise done in my home gym at night - there are loads and loads of great YouTube videos to follow along with for free, everything from filmed gym classes, to yoga, to walk-at-home videos, to dancing...literally anything you can think of!