Your Best Anti-Trigger Food Strategies?

Options
2»

Replies

• Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I hear you @MsCzar , I'm like this myself. I'll keep chocolates in our cupboard and eat just a small one every night, but once I get out ... it's like I have someone else's brains, no rules apply anymore and the vacuum mode is on.

One strategy that I apply is the no-carb rule. Now, I really do love my carbs and eat them gladly every day at breakfast, lunch and dinner at home. But when I go out, I find it easier to restrain my reptilian brain to eat EVERYTHING in sight if I cut out the carbs, just in order to help me restrain myself:

* I'll have olives, smoked ham or feta as an appetizer and pass on the bread
    * I'll order steak / fish but without the fries or mash
    * I'll have the cheese but without the crackers
    * Just no to all the sugary offerings

Somehow this one simple rules just helps me to get through food-laden events, it's still not ideal but it is my way of doing some damage control.
  • Luluetduet8
    Luluetduet8 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Put the snack in MFP like you ate it. Usually that deters me when I see my entire day work of calories go out the window. You can always remove it if you bypass the moment.

I also think if you hop on the community here and start responding to people with advice it might help you change focus so the food has less of a draw.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Antiopelle & Luluetduet8, those are both excellent suggestions. Thank you!

I did OK at work yesterday. I kept my at-work food to black coffee, ONE banana, ONE mini KIND bar and ONE piece of cheese. It helped that I was busy and had an early day. I WILL master this. If nothing else, I can be annoyingly tenacious when I set my mind to something. It's been super helpful having this forum to smooth out bumps in the road.

• MrsDogLady
    MrsDogLady Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When my husband and I are on the road and he wants to stop for a quick fast food fix, I say "Get me a Diet Coke", just the act of receiving something at the window seems to do the trick for me. Strange but true....