Diet Soda, Crystal Light, Sugar Free Koolaid......

Options
Of these, how are any better than the others?????? I tried Crystal Light Pure tonight, but it has 30 calories in it per 16 oz. :( Currently I drink at least a 6 pack a day of diet Mt. Dew... I know that's terrible! But, it's cold, ready, and calorie free! Plus it tastes yummy!! But, I know I should try to drink something better for me, but since the Sugar free koolaid and Crystal Light both have artificial sweeteners in them, I feel like it wouldn't be any better anyway. Help!

Replies

• canuckgurrl
    canuckgurrl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What is in Diet Mt Dew? Splenda ? Still not that great for you if it is.
  • melbaby925
    Options
    Flavored fizzy water over ice with extra lemon slices. Perrier works the best. 0 calories. 0 artificial sweeteners. 0 icky stuff and still fizzy.

It took me almost two years to quit soda - it was easier for me to quit smoking! Wean yourself slowly and then just eliminate the junk.
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I was a Coke Zero drinker...2 24oz bottles a day. I also drank water. Once I increased my water intake to where it should be...I lost all taste for Coke Zero. I drink my water plain unless I am at a restaurant, then I add lemon. Get rid of the soda..you will lose a few pounds just getting rid of it.
  • sosayscyndi
    sosayscyndi Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to diet mt dew! I used to drink 1.5 liters a day. Now< I drink ice water w lemon and maybe a splenda if I feel crazy. I won't lie to you, it isn't the same.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Propel Zero.
  • dlovesjimma
    dlovesjimma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am no help, I drink coffee, water or liquor. LOL I cut out the soda/sugary sweetened drinks awhile ago.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I just drink water. I do buy those drink mix powders at Walmart you put in bottled water. I might drink that once a week.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Slice up your favorite fruits and toss them in your water bottle...flavored, delicious WATER. That is the best option!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I drink seltzer with a bit of lemon juice mixed in(and a TON of Coke Zero).
    I used to drink many of the artificially sweetened drinks you list, but I had to drink a gallon of them quickly as prep for a few surgeries so they literally make me nauseuos now.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I just discovered a flavored sparkling water that is seriously delicious. It comes in Pink Grapefruit, Orange Mango, Lemon Lime, and a couple of other flavors. It is made by Sparkling Ice, here is a link to it on Amazon (warning: it isn't cheap):

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_grocery?_encoding=UTF8&amp;node=16310101&amp;field-brandtextbin=Sparkling ICE

I absolutely love this stuff. My local supermarket, Giant, carries it, but for the same price - about $1 a bottle. But I seriously recommend it, it has no artificial sweeteners and tastes basically like a soda.
  • miadvh
    miadvh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Sadly, none of them are any good for you. :( I've been doing my best to stay away from everything but water and green tea. I have a soda or sweet tea on occasion, but it's best to just cut them loose.

Edit: I've been keeping a pitcher of water with lemon slices in my fridge to keep me away from the other drinks. Afterall, the main reason I end up with the bad stuff in my hands is because it was there, cold and ready. So why not have something healthy cold and ready? :)
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I drink artificially sweetened tea, water (lots), crystal light. I too am a diet dew addict. I still have about every 2 to 3 days just so I don't kill someone. Ice water actually helps you burn calories.
  • aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I just started drinking Diet Mt. Dew & Diet Dr. Pepper ( as opposed to the full calorie versions). I was surprised that Diet Mt. Dew--20oz bottle has 10 calories--still better than the original and sometimes I need the caffeine. I try to limit my intake to 1 or 2 a day. Some days I don't have any. I think the hype is about the artificial sweeteners & cancer/health risks. Stevia/truvia are "healthier" natural sweeteners--I think they taste really good.
    I also drink Sparkling Ice (0 calories)--strawberry-kiwi & orange mango are my favorite!!
  • stacyrhoades11
    stacyrhoades11 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I only drink Diet Dr Pepper or Diet Pepsi and then lots of water...I occationally drink some orange juice but its really high in sugar...
  • ksabell
    Options
    I used to drink about that much Diet Dew also... until I got kidney stones from it! i cut out pop cold turkey and switched to water (with lots of ice!) it was hard at first, mostly because of caffeine headaches but i got through it!(with some help from my good friend Excedrin ;) ) . I still have the occasional diet soda but my body got used to not having it and eventually i started craving water instead of pop. I also thought it was more difficult than quitting smoking!! haha
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Flavored fizzy water over ice with extra lemon slices. Perrier works the best. 0 calories. 0 artificial sweeteners. 0 icky stuff and still fizzy.

It took me almost two years to quit soda - it was easier for me to quit smoking! Wean yourself slowly and then just eliminate the junk.
    i am still working on quiting soda and it was easier for me to quit smoking too
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I think Mountain Dew has the highest caffeine out of all sodas
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I read the title of the post and was like - EGADS!!!! Artificial Sweeteners!

So, now I feel obliged to share with you all, why I had that reaction. Here's some reading, I hope you will find enlightening! :bigsmile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/273536-article-i-read-on-artificial-sweetners-and-soda?page=1#posts-3616773
  • marksolie
    marksolie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was a 2litre/ day Mt Dew drinker for many years and decided to give up ALL caffein for Lent this past season. The 1st week was tough I felt like someone was drilling into my forehead at times but after 2 weeks it was no problem.I haven't touched soda pop or coffee since but I have substituted it with Krogers version of Crystal Light but not in as large quantities as before. The best result is no more heartburn
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    None of those choices are great! I drink flavored seltzer water or home brewed iced tea. I gave up soda over a year ago - drank alot of diet pepsi ---- No more and I don't miss it!