Help! Calf cramps

Options
How do I keep my calves from seizing and cramping? It only happens with walking or jogging, not cross training. I've tried stretching part way in, I've adjusted my pace. I've cross trained to strengthen them. Ideas!?! I'm hurting. More rest? More water? Stretching at a magical time?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Stretch before and after. Foam rollers help too. So does a well balanced diet...specifically sufficient potassium, calcium and magnesium.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    ...well, and sodium - but most people get plenty of sodium.

• GazelleLady
    GazelleLady Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I agree with cmriverside. Electrolytes could be an issue if you are drinking a lot of water without replacing electrolytes. Although most people get enough sodium, there are some medications that cause low sodium. I found out that low sodium was my problem for a long time (due to medication), and it caused a lot of bothersome symptoms, including calf cramps! It is hard to balance water and electrolytes. It is important to drink water, but TOO much water can also be a problem. I have started tracking my water intake to make sure I am not drinking too much or too little. It is tedious.

Other things that I have found helpful:
    - Warmup for at least 5 minutes before vigorous training
    - Stretch AFTER the warmup. Muscles are capable of stretching more effectively after they've been warmed up.
    - Stretch after exercising
    - After a vigorous effort, cooldown to work out lactic acid.
    - Eat enough protein so your leg muscles can recover
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Have you recently increased your mileage significantly? Usually cramping comes from doing more than your fitness level allows. Too much too soon can lead to real injury, so back off or space out your workouts.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    Besides what it has been suggested above:

Spray THERAWORKX (you can get it at your local drugstore, no Rx needed). It is very effective and acts fast. Also a glass of Tonic Water before your exercise can help you since it has quinine. You can get the low calorie version, if you prefer.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,553 Member
    Options
    I have also been suffering with calf/leg/foot cramps waking me at night for about 4 months.
    I googled it. It suggested things as above, and also a heating pad. Right in the middle of a heatwave one wouldn't think it appropriate, but it works almost immediately. I leave it beside the bed now and click it to on when needed and apply it to the area. I have had great success with this.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Zinc and magnesium can help with cramp as well as replacing electrolytes if you sweat a lot
  • naomi9271
    naomi9271 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a good source of potassium. If it’s as hot right now where you are as it is here and you’re exercising outside, eating a banana and drinking water mixed with some Gatorade should really help.
  • astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    It’s possible you’re not stretching long enough, or you’re not stretching the right muscle when you stretch. It’s recommended that you hold your stretch for 30-60 seconds, and if you want to stretch you gastrocnemius, then keep your knee straight. If it’s the soleus that is cramping, then you want to bend your knee while you stretch. Another thing you could do is put a towel under the arch of your foot so you don’t overpronate when you stretch, and that will keep your foot in optimal alignment to get a better stretch.
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Compression calf sleeves/Compression socks.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I’m not an expert, just sharing my own personal experience.
    I find that I have to try different things before I find something that works for me.
    I find gentle stretching before exercise, foam rolling and static stretching after exercise are helpful in dealing with any muscle cramping.

Good luck
  • iam4scuba
    iam4scuba Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    More water. All these other things are good methods to help if you're hydrated and still cramping, but it sounds like you know you're not getting enough water. Don't worry about drinking too much water.
  • astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    iam4scuba wrote: »
    More water. All these other things are good methods to help if you're hydrated and still cramping, but it sounds like you know you're not getting enough water. Don't worry about drinking too much water.

Except there’s something called hyperhydration where you literally drink too much water. Water is good, but it’s the electrolytes that hydrate you. If you don’t get electrolytes into your body, you could literally die of dehydration with a stomach full of water.
  • grinsy
    grinsy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me a lot in the middle of the night. Besides all of the above, hydration, stretching, etc., I discovered that as soon as I felt a seizure coming in my calf, I could stop it by immediately pointing my toe and stretching/flexing the calf before the cramp locked up. Good luck I know how painful this is.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've tried everything, stretching, foam rolling, making sure i drink plenty of water, supplements. While helpful for a little in the beginning, stops working and terrible night time cramping is back. Finally found supplement that's been working long term for me - magnesium chloride. Mind you, I've read a lot on this topic, consulted my doctor, talked to people who have found the way to get rid of it. Magnesium supplement is helping many, there are different forms of it, and some work better for one, while other form works better for another person. I tried few different forms, and through the trials figured which one is helping me. Good luck!