I'm middle aged women, whose disabled and has 100lbs to lose.

karlyMS58
karlyMS58 Posts: 15 Member
Hello, New on here, I'm a 58 year old women, whose disabled and uses a wheelchair to get around. Due to health issues, it's hard trying to lose weight. I'm determined to give it my all, because my life depends on getting this excess weight off, and improving my over all health.

Replies

• LoveShane88
    LoveShane88 Posts: 17 Member
    You can do it! You’ll be ok ! If you need to talk you can message me ! ❤️
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Yes I believe you can do it! You have the motivation and determination!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,123 Member
    edited July 2021
    61 here! And disabled too. I don’t use a wheelchair just yet, but there’s probably one in my future. I do have a spiffy rollator. 😉 It has shock absorbers and a nice hook for my tote bag. And it’s blue. I love blue.

I know how difficult weight loss and exercise can be when disabled. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford a NuStep. I highly recommend them.

Come join us here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105791-disabled-and-overweight

Let me know if you’d like me to send you a friend request.
  • CoffeeLoveMM
    CoffeeLoveMM Posts: 3 Member
    60 here, and listed as disabled. I had cancer in 2012, during that surgery the oncologist said he had to take out that part of me that makes blood return from the legs. He said that a normal person's blood goes from the heart to the big toe in about 5 seconds or less. Now, mine takes about 30-45 seconds. Which causes my legs/feet to swell, and causes them to be discolored. He said it was a price to pay for having survived such a deadly cancer. Adding that to the mix of severe arthritis, and 2 knees that are a mess - yeah, sometimes the whole "exercise" thing is frustrating and discouraging. I do what I can, but not enough yet. Working towards that determination. Looking forward to meeting y'all and helping one another on this journey! :smiley:
  • karlyMS58
    karlyMS58 Posts: 15 Member
    Thank you y'all, @MargaretYakoda would like to be your friend. @CoffeeLoveMM I know it's not easy! We can do this. If you want to be friends you can add me as a friend, Still trying to work out how it's done.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,123 Member
    I’m trying to send you a friend request but I think you have your settings too restrictive for that. Send me one and I will accept.
    😁
  • LostLenore1970
    LostLenore1970 Posts: 8 Member
    Don't focus too much on the 100 lbs. Set yourself a smaller monthly goal of 8 pounds or weekly goal of 2 pounds. Or give yourself two years, and that's only a pound a week. A place near me offers "chair yoga" so maybe you could look that up on YouTube and get a workout without leaving home. I lost 50 pounds a couple of years ago and have regained some, so I'm back to where I found success--this website. Calories are actually more important than exercise when it comes to losing weight, but moving our bodies makes them feel better. Best of luck and the most important thing is to keep trying. Every ounce lost counts toward better health!
  • astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    I just learned about something yesterday that’s an endurance test used in PT, but it could be adapted to fit some of what you’re looking for. All you would need is a step stool, a timer and a metronome. You could probably find an app for a metronome on your phone. What you do, is in a seated position you tap your foot on the top of the stool and alternate with the other foot while trying to keep with the rhythm of the metronome. Set a timer for 60 seconds and try too keep pace with the metronome, then have a 30-60 second break. It might not sound like much, but it’s a start!
  • KerrieA87
    KerrieA87 Posts: 167 Member
    I have multiple medical conditions, including a severe allergy to exercise (I know it sounds made up), it is possible to lose weight through diet alone, it’ll take longer but it’s not impossible. Take it one day at a time and if you find your goal overwhelming break it down into mini parts instead. Look out for nsv (non scale victories) like clothes feeling looser even if your weight has stayed the same. You not being as out of breathe doing things you previously struggled with etc.