Unsweetened Apple Sauce substitute?

Options
deanonumber10
deanonumber10 Posts: 9 Member
Hi, I'm in the UK and I've been looking at several US recipes for cookies and muffins that need unsweetened apple sauce as an ingredient. Struggling to find this here. Am I right in thinking that this is just basically apples that have been turned into puree?

I know I could make this myself but sometimes dont have the time or for convenience just want to grab the apple sauce. Bit of a strange one but is Baby food in the jars and pouches basically the same thing? Says ingredients are 100% apple. Just checking before getting some as its cheap enough.

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm in the UK and I've been looking at several US recipes for cookies and muffins that need unsweetened apple sauce as an ingredient. Struggling to find this here. Am I right in thinking that this is just basically apples that have been turned into puree?

I know I could make this myself but sometimes dont have the time or for convenience just want to grab the apple sauce. Bit of a strange one but is Baby food in the jars and pouches basically the same thing? Says ingredients are 100% apple. Just checking before getting some as its cheap enough.

My first thought was mashed bananas if it won't mess up the flavor, but there are a variety of things you can use:

https://www.fitibility.com/applesauce-substitutes/

Applesauce is just cooked and pureed apples, yes, so probably the baby food would work, but I think you probably have other things in your kitchen already. This time of year I use a lot of shredded summer squash in baking (both zucchini/courgette and yellow squash.) Unlike the bananas the flavor is very neutral.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I’ve done this dance before looking for unsweetened apple sauce.

Holland & Barrett carry a couple of different makes that have no added sugar. That’s probably the best place to suggest because whilst my local health food shops do have other brands, that’s no use to you unless you happen to live near me!

Biona is the brand you’ll probably end up with!
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Applesauce is often used aa a replacement for oil or butter, which means that an applesauce cake/cookie is lower in fat and calories. Use unsweetened applesauce to lower the amount of sugar too. Applesauce also lends to a moist texture in a cake. If there is no oil or butter in your recipe, your recipe is using applesauce as a substitute, in a 1:1 ratio. If the applesauce is in addition to butter/oil. it is being used for moistness, texture, and flavor. I don't know if other fruit sauce or mashed bananas will have the same effect as applesauce. Hope this helps!
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Yes, just cook and puree apples. In baking, I've subbed in grated young courgette/yellow summer squash with a splash of lemon or lime juice and also substituted cooked mashed sweet potatoes. Depending on the recipe, the amount of sweetener may have to adjusted to achieve the result you are looking for.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Yep its the same thing. You could also used canned pumpkin instead.
  • deanonumber10
    deanonumber10 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help guys. I’ve got some biona apple purée and cow and gate apple and banana fruit pots. I’ll try both and see how they compare. I’ve used canned pumpkin in other recipes as well.