how many times should I eat sweets each week on a balanced healthy diet?

Options
I like eating healthy and sometimes I want to treat myself with something sweet, so how many days a week should I treat myself with a sweet treat?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,188 Member
    Options
    I think there's not a generic answer:

Small treats? More often.
    Big treats? Less often.
    Trying to lose weight aggressively fast, so low calorie goal for your size? Less room for treats while still getting good nutrition.
    Slower weight loss rate? More room for treats.
    . . . and so forth.

Some people like to pre-log their eating for the whole day, before eating, in order to do swaps and such to fit in treats. Some people log a small treat every day, right at the start, then work in other things around it.

There are sweets that also have some nutrition, but I don't know whether you consider them treats. (Some fruits are sweet treats, to me, without even getting into treats that aren't sweet.)

Some people consider things treats that taste sweet but are low calorie, like things sweetened with stevia or monkfruit.
  • clailah06
    clailah06 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think there's not a generic answer:

Small treats? More often.
    Big treats? Less often.
    Trying to lose weight aggressively fast, so low calorie goal for your size? Less room for treats while still getting good nutrition.
    Slower weight loss rate? More room for treats.
    . . . and so forth.

Some people like to pre-log their eating for the whole day, before eating, in order to do swaps and such to fit in treats. Some people log a small treat every day, right at the start, then work in other things around it.

There are sweets that also have some nutrition, but I don't know whether you consider them treats. (Some fruits are sweet treats, to me, without even getting into treats that aren't sweet.)

Some people consider things treats that taste sweet but are low calorie, like things sweetened with stevia or monkfruit.

thanks!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,381 Member
    Options
    I have treats like Werther Sugar Free Carmel, or tootsie roll minis, that satisfy the sweet tooth while being small enough to not need to log. As long as I don’t eat the whole bag 😉
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    For me, 100 calories a day of anything I want, no matter how healthy or unhealthy.
    For me, not a sweet freak, it’s usually nuts or an extra slice of bacon, something fatty.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Oh! When you’re having a sweet or fatty treat? Don’t do the cheap stuff. Get the highest quality chocolate you can find. Or the best, thickest cut bacon with home grown eggs (if you can find a good backyard chicken owner) Waxy chocolate is not worth the bother. But one piece of Bernard Callebaut? Definitely worth it.
  • bigwimp10021
    bigwimp10021 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For me, I like my chocolate but sometimes go overboard on it. Have to watch portion control; that is key.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Oh! When you’re having a sweet or fatty treat? Don’t do the cheap stuff. Get the highest quality chocolate you can find. Or the best, thickest cut bacon with home grown eggs (if you can find a good backyard chicken owner) Waxy chocolate is not worth the bother. But one piece of Bernard Callebaut? Definitely worth it.

I dont think that is going to be a generic thing either.

Some people will find a low calorie version of something is worth it to save calories but still get the treat .

Others will not.

and it will vary on which things for which people.

Agreed.
    Tootsie Roll minis are definitely in a different class than high quality Bon Bons.

That said? I’ll have one or two tootsie roll minis most days. They hit the spot and don’t cost me too many calories.

But a Palmer brand candy meant for Easter treats for children? Me personally? Not worth the calories.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    For me, I like my chocolate but sometimes go overboard on it. Have to watch portion control; that is key.

Agreed. Portion control. 100%

For things like Oreos we have the 4 oz Ziplock containers. When I buy Oreos I put two in each container. Stops the mindless grazing. Works very well for my family.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options

That's not universal. I find "Cadbury Dairy Milk Marvellous Creations Jelly Popping Candy" (that's a mouthful) more fun to eat than any high-brow chocolate, so it's totally worth the calories as much, if not more than premium chocolate for the same calorie price. But I get what you're saying, and it's actually how I eat: if something is worth the calories, there is no reason to substitute it with something less mentally satisfying. Sometimes doing a lower calorie version of something to fit in something else is worth it, too (I would rather have mid-range ice cream + a small packet of chips than premium ice cream most of the time)

OP, you have received good answers. Yes, how much and how often depends on the types of sweets, their calorie price, and your calorie allowance. Personally, and as mentioned above, I ask myself, "would I rather have this or a larger meal/higher calorie meal/another type of snack"? That usually helps me decide if I should eat something or not that day. If you prefer a fixed structure, you could allocate a certain amount of calories a day for sweet snacks (which you can bank over a few days, if you want, for a higher calorie snack)
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    @amusedmonkey I’ll keep an eye out for those. I’m always down to try a new candy.
    😉
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    @amusedmonkey I’ll keep an eye out for those. I’m always down to try a new candy.
    😉

They're truly marvelous. A bit on the sweeter side as you would expect from a commercial candy bar, but the chocolate itself is smooth and has all kinds of fun textures inside (tiny bits of M&M's-like candy shells, fruit-flavored jellies, and pop rocks). I savor it letting it melt in my mouth to get to the full experience of all the textures: melty chocolate, crunchy candy shells, chewy jellies, and tingly pop rocks. It might not be the absolute best chocolate I've ever tasted, but it's definitely the best chocolate-eating experience, at least for me.
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You'll get a wide range of answers.

I try to keep all of my sugar ingested natural - from fruits only. I eat it every day and so that's sweet enough for me. I'm super mindful of the calories and my lack of willpower and so I ensure the house is empty of them. Plus, after a while of cutting out processed sugar, when you have a banana it really hits you sweetness wise.

But if you eat healthy, maybe once a week? Depends on what for - cheat day, small reward, etc.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I have eaten a candy bar, pastry, or ice cream EVERY SINGLE DAY that I've logged.

Today, I ate ice cream AND candy.

...I had more calories than usual today due to more activity than usual. I took advantage of it.

For me really the key is single serving things. I used to do like halo top or whatever low calorie sub, but at this stage of the game I've gotten portion control and myself under some kind of control so I am no longer running super low on calories so it's just... the regular thing.

Think the only low calorie subs still in my diet are sugar free maple syrup and unsweetened almond milk.
  • azuki
    azuki Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One way to look at it is food as activities for the day. what activities do you want to do for the day?
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 50kg and I doubt there's been a single day I've not eaten cake, chocolate, biscuits or some other sort of sweet treat.
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    That's very impressive, haha