A calories-burned sensor that is probably more accurate than your smartwatch...

Options
...and pretty small and cheap.

https://news.stanford.edu/2021/07/13/accurate-wearable-calorie-burn-counter/

I'm still using a guestimator phone app but I thought this looked pretty cool.

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I want one!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    I like that it’s inexpensive.
    And that they released the plans to build one for yourself.

But it looks like a waist, calf, and thigh belt? All at once? It’s going to be tricky to get used to.

That said? I can see it becoming popular in circles of extreme and/or professional athletes. And potentially medical applications.

• Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I would use this if I had the skills to build it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use it because I don't like straps on my legs. I don't think it's comfortable having to mess with them as they slip during movement or make legs look like sausage links if you have higher body fat there. It's less convenient. This is probably the reason why most all-day trackers are worn on the wrist like watches. Personally, I prefer the clip-on variety because I don't like straps on my wrists either, but most people are more comfortable with watches.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    $100 in parts ain't cheap as it would be putting the device in a $400 retail path

Ooof. The first paragraph said “inexpensive” but you’re right. $100 for the do it yourself parts would definitely make it much more expensive for a commercially produced item.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    $100 in parts ain't cheap as it would be putting the device in a $400 retail path

With the plans publically available, another company could make a killing selling the same thing for $200. And then ... 🙂
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It seems to be merely getting a more accurate distance.

Which indeed with well known calculations can be much more accurate than HR.
    For distance related exercise/daily anyway.