need help with motivation

Options
hi so i know this is probably done before but i’m really struggling for motivation to workout again, i used to workout when i was around 13-15 and i was pretty content with it since i used to also do sports, now i don’t workout anymore and or do sports so now i’m just in some *kitten* slump. i don’t really have the desire to change my body but i really need a goal with working out. i do home workouts only btw, but it’s so hard to find motivation when i don’t really want to build muscle or lose weight since that’s all i see. i guess i could just workout for being “physically fit” but i feel like that isn’t a proper goal for me, i know i’d be a lot happier if i worked out so can someone give me any goals to workout for or any tips ?

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    You are asking random strangers on the internet to choose a fitness goal for you, so you'll be motivated to work out?

If you think you'll be happier if you work out, then work out. If that isn't enough of a goal, then some rando telling you to strive to run a marathon in each of the 50 states isn't likely to press the right buttons for you, either.
  • jagillham
    jagillham Posts: 19 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Find something that you enjoy. :)

I started running, and quite like to time out on my own. Great opportunity to listen to some music, pod casts or audio books - something I’d not do at home. Works well as when you start you’ll be smashing PB’s every week which is great for motivation. Even after just a few short runs most non-runners will see minutes dropping off their 5k times. My first one was a walk/jog, so target one is literally just to get around without stopping. Then it was a sub-30 min, sub-29 etc etc.

I also joined a local Facebook group of runners, which covered all abilities from can hardly run to pretty damn good. Weekly team runs / socials is a good prompt to get out too.

My wife has really gotten into Zumba dancing. She goes to sessions locally, or does online videos when she can’t.

Unless you super motivated to do something you don’t enjoy because you have a target you are motivated to achieve, then only other option is find some you do want to do I think.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if the only thing I was doing was home "workouts" I wouldn't do them either. I used to do some home Zumba, that was fun - but Zumba classes are more fun. Lots of laughing.

I do some resistance bands and some body weight exercises at home because I can't have heavy weights here (top floor condo.) I do need to do those in order to feel my best, so I just do them while I'm doing other things (like waiting for coffee or waiting for whatever. A few sets a day.)

Other than that, I have to do things I love and being in Nature is something I love so it can be walking, running, stand-up paddle boards, kayaking, swimming, hiking, beach-combing. All those things are super enjoyable to me. Maybe you like group things like softball or tennis or a meetup group for walking or salsa dancing, etc.

Find your joy. :)
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It sounds like weight loss, muscle building and physical fitness are not your motivations. So I wonder if you could reflect on why you think you would be happier if you worked out? Was that your experience in the past? You won’t be motivated to do something if you don’t have any reason to do it. Ultimately motivation is going to fluctuate and discipline/habit is going to be necessary for you to carry ion. But it sounds like you need to figure out a reason to do this in the first place.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    When I'm active, I feel better, sleep better, and am more productive. That motivates me, but what is more important is creating the DISCUPLINE and HABIT.

Disclaimer: language in the article is adult

Screw motivation, what you need is discipline.

If you want to get anything done, there are two basic ways to get yourself to do it.

The first, more popular and devastatingly wrong option is to try to motivate yourself.

The second, somewhat unpopular and entirely correct choice is to cultivate discipline.

This is one of these situations where adopting a different perspective immediately results in superior outcomes. Few uses of the term “paradigm shift” are actually legitimate, but this one is. It’s a lightbulb moment.

What’s the difference?

Motivation, broadly speaking, operates on the erroneous assumption that a particular mental or emotional state is necessary to complete a task.

That’s completely the wrong way around.

Discipline, by contrast, separates outwards functioning from moods and feelings and thereby ironically circumvents the problem by consistently improving them.

The implications are huge.

Successful completion of tasks brings about the inner states that chronic procrastinators think they need to initiate tasks in the first place.

Put in simpler form, you don’t wait until you’re in olympic form to start training. You train to get into olympic form.

Read more: http://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/

I've tried explaining this concept to my almost 12-year old, who relies HEAVILY on motivation as to why he should do anything. Part of it is his age, but a bigger part is how his brain works and his executive functioning problems. Anyway, I am going to show this to him when he tells me "but why? I HATE it! "(when he really doesn't).
  • qhob_89
    qhob_89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    zitaohuang wrote: »
    hi so i know this is probably done before but i’m really struggling for motivation to workout again, i used to workout when i was around 13-15 and i was pretty content with it since i used to also do sports, now i don’t workout anymore and or do sports so now i’m just in some *kitten* slump. i don’t really have the desire to change my body but i really need a goal with working out. i do home workouts only btw, but it’s so hard to find motivation when i don’t really want to build muscle or lose weight since that’s all i see. i guess i could just workout for being “physically fit” but i feel like that isn’t a proper goal for me, i know i’d be a lot happier if i worked out so can someone give me any goals to workout for or any tips ?

Seems like the highlighted section is a good place to start… doesn’t have to be to lose weight, build muscle, or to change your body. Happiness is probably the best goal you can set. If physical health isn’t motivation for you, then improved mental health should be. Just some food for thought…
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I don't currently have a gym membership but am plenty active.

I prefer to get my cardio outdoors doing activities I enjoy, which change seasonally: walk, hike, snowshoe, garden, swim, etc.

I rented at my last place and my landlord was happy to have me garden. I've been here 5 years and put in a new garden each fall.

2vxxszehzo04.png

Indoors I workout and practice yoga.

I don't discount unintentional exercise either. We are preparing for a move and I've been spending a lot of time decluttering and cleaning.

Spending too much time sitting? Go organize a closet, clean the attic, paint a room, scrub the floors :smiley:
  • SilverJem77
    SilverJem77 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Here's what worked for me:

If you are on Pinterest, you can create your own "fitness motivation" board. Fill it with motivational quotes, pics of the type of exercise that interests you, healthy eating ideas, and/or pics whatever inspires you to want to be healthier.

Download an affirmations app. I use My Affirmations. I have mine programmed with all kinds of quotes that motivate me to get off the couch and move. Examples: 1) It doesn't matter if I feel like working out, it only matters that I do it. 2) The more you move, the better you'll feel. 3) Don't wish for a better body, work for it.

Good luck!