eating right for your blood type

Options
benw
benw Posts: 211 Member
I just did some interesting reading on eating right for your blood type.

http://www.drlam.com/blood_type_diet/

I found it very interesting.

Replies

• benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just did some interesting reading on eating right for your blood type.

http://www.drlam.com/blood_type_diet/

I found it very interesting.
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    eating healthy and not cutting things out unless directed by your doctor would be better
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Sounds awful hinky to me. According to this, I should be a vegetarian and shouldn't eat any dairy products. Well, I grew up on dairy, barely ate anything else between age 8 and age 16. As far as I know, none of my organs are failing yet!

Looks like BS to me, but that's just my 2 cents. Sweet would know for sure.
  • Rachael
    Rachael Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I've read all of Dr. Peter D'Adamo's books which are also on diet and blood type and I found them to be very interesting. My blood type is Type A, for which he recommends a nearly vegetarian diet, limited amounts of chicken and fish and no red meat. I have to admit I feel great when I follow his recommendations and I feel really bad when I eat red meat or any of the other "avoid" foods he discusses. If you decide to follow a blood type regimen, I'd be interested to hear how it works for you.
  • slimjim2009
    Options
    I Do the 'Eat Right for your Blood type' and find it makes all the difference to my digestion and weight loss. Because the foods I now eat are compatable to me personally, I haven't suffered from a few tummy problems through bad digestion - In my opinion, its really good.

Have you ready the books by Dr Peter J. D'Adamo ?

I too am Blood Type A Rh -
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    :huh:

I'd really like to see the science behind this. I'd have to see his logic before I tried to call BS. :wink:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    All I can say is...........May I change my blood type to AB please??

:laugh:
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I was very interested to see that Type A which I am should follow a vegetarian diet. I do not eat red meat other than ground beef once in a while, for instance, last night I made lasagne and ate that. I just prefer chicken or turkey. I can't stand fish or seafood though. I LOVE vegetables though. So, I was glad to see that my type was veggie lovers. It said to stay away from tomatoes and cabbage though, but then it said to click for food choice table, which I did and it recommended eating cabbage and tomatoes. :huh: So, needless to say, that confused me. But, I love cabbage so that will be hard to do.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I don't even know my blood type! haha That's probably not good

~Leash:heart::heart:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I'm currently undecided.

I visited the website, and what immediately struck me was his use of 'jargon'. A great way to get people to buy into something 'sciency' is to use big, sciency words. He's basically saying that some foods contain certain proteins that can cause chemical reactions. These lectins can cause TONS of different chemical reactions from what I've looked up in a few minutes (although it's hard to find mention of them on reputable sites so far). He then goes on to say that they 'agglutinate' RBC's. Agglutination just means to make them stick together. So in English, he's just saying that some foods contain proteins that might make some of your red blood cells clump together. From what I've read outside of that, it looks like only some lectins cause that to happen, but it doesn't say anything about whether certain blood cell antigens cause that. He also says that it only happens to 5% of all the lectins you consume.

So I can't call BS because I don't know enough about this. But it doesn't look like this happens frequently enough to really make a difference, so I wouldn't tell anyone to switch to vegetarianism just because they have type A blood.