I'm doing intermittent fasting. Help me out please.

Options
dddankur
dddankur Posts: 18 Member
Hello Hello Hello. I'm 25 M, been doing IF for about a month now. I fall under obese (almost morbidly obese) BMI. IF has helped a lot. stopped late night binging (thankfully!). Doing the 8AM-2PM cycle and its been the easiest hard dieting i've done haha. I'm also eating under calorie deficit to burn the extra fat, but eating good enough for proper nutrition.
If you've done something similar, I would greatly appriciate your help and advice. Be my friend! byee

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Advice would be to keep a reasonable deficit, even if IF does make it easier to go extreme.

Extreme diets part of the 80% that fail to reach goal weight or maintain it - don't be a part of that group by attempting fast loss.

Eat to your goal, not creating extra deficit.
    You won't just burn extra fat - you'll lose some muscle mass - you'll regret that sooner & later.
  • pamelabarry1212
    pamelabarry1212 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I still IF. Mine is a fasted workout. I eat between 11am 7pm. On my fasting days. I find it has helped me understand my hunger cues.
  • PopGoesTheCoyote
    PopGoesTheCoyote Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I did IF periodically. It's typically good for lowering your insulin if you have insulin resistance (not sure if it works for either diabetes types). It helped me learn to cope with my hunger and it was pretty good for jump-starting metabolism. These days I mostly just do a daily 12 hour fast, but I am female and have a different metabolism. Men can generally do better with the 16 hour fast but figuring out what kind of times feel best for you will be good. Some people find that a 14 hour fast is better for them. If you feel as though you are straining, reduce the fasting hours.

As another poster said, if you overtax your body, it won't produce the results you want. IF with a reasonable deficit will work a lot better than going under. IF taught me that everyone's bodies are different and there isn't really a universal diet technique for everyone since even counting calories didn't work for me at the beginning of my work. Lots of people dismiss me and just say I didn't do it right, but I had to learn to ignore them and figure out how my body operated. IF was good for giving me some insight.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I started IF 17 days ago, was 235 now 220 it has helped alot with my snacking as well. I was eatting only healthy unprocessed foods ie organic fruit, vegetables and meat. However, I think I am going to try cutting out the fruit for the most part this month so that I can see more results. I also need to add in walking because I am only doing 20min on the elliptical but its so hot in Arizona right now lol. Good luck!
  • dddankur
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I'm not starving myself at all haha. During the window I'm looking forward for either good healthy options or something that I really really wanted. I cook a lot. So good food is always around. But this time I'm in it for the long haul. Best part about IF is that if it's absolutely important, I can go out and have a party. It's not very healthy, but I extend the cycle a few hours to adjust and make up for it in the next few days lol.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I did IF to lose my excess weight (a different version to yours).

But I used it as a tool to make keeping to a sensible deficit and optimal rate of weight loss easier.
    I didn't use it to undercut my calorie goal and make my loss faster.
    Where did you get 1400cals as a daily goal from? That's terribly low.
    Health and "proper nutrition" isn't just about the foods you eat, it's also about how much food you eat.

It's far more important that you actually get to goal weight in the best possible shape rather than rush it and either give up completely or be terribly disappointed when you get to goal that you don't look or feel how you imagined.
  • dddankur
    Options
    Slightly disagree with you man. I've battled with my weight all my life. Losing some excess weight in the beginning is a good push for me. I play sports. It's difficult for me to run around with the weight I have. I've started and given up at least 20 times! More than 20 serious tries! I will keep increasing the amount of food but if fighting off some serious sugar and carbs cravings takes some days of unhealthy routine, I'm game. I gained 22kgs once. Gained 25 back. And as everyone said, each body operates differently. And for the nth time, I'm not starving myself. Most of the days I'm above my calories. Indian meals are not that accurate on this app.