Kashi

Options
Had the hankering to binge on chocolate tonight so I ate a second Kashe TLC Chewy Almond and Flax Seed bar. It has 7g of protein.. What do you think of these products? I'm scared to up my protein intake because the doc says that was the reasoning behind my 5lb weight gain before.

Replies

• strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i LOVE kashi almond harvest shredded wheat with almond milk

omg soooo good
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    well, how many were you eating before when the dr thought this might be contributing to your weight gain?

theyre good in...wait for it...moderation :D

but seriously, theyre good for cravings only (for me anyways) and shouldnt be eaten too often...or any of those bars really...honestly, theyre not even that good for you (like i should talk since i love processed crap no matter what shape its in) but do you get what im saying or am i continuing to babble? :)
  • oxlypglozzxo
    Options
    It's not processed tho, the website says all the food is all natural. And when I gained weight before I was drinking carnation breakfast essentials (because i never used to like to eat breakfast) and then I would run for an hour and a half and drink a low carb protein shake.
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you are going to give in to late night chocolate cravings, a Kashi bar is just about the healthiest choice possible :)
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Wait, did I hear you say that your doctor said protein was causing you to gain weight?

Even if it was, it would probably be in the form of muscles if it was an excess of protein. I'm sure you're fine. Those bars are really good and tasty!
  • baileybutton
    baileybutton Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Kashi Pumpkin Pie Bars are my weakness...oooh man. Anything pumpkin is my weakness though, really. Kashi bars are better than picking up a Mars to curb a chocolate craving, that's for sure.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I love Kashi and they are very healthy. According to Men's Health magazine, there is no such thing as too much protein. The flax seed give you your Omega-3's so that's great! Have at it but stay under your daily calorie goal.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    It's not processed tho, the website says all the food is all natural. And when I gained weight before I was drinking carnation breakfast essentials (because i never used to like to eat breakfast) and then I would run for an hour and a half and drink a low carb protein shake.
    If it's in a bar form with a wrapper, it's processed, even though it has natural ingredients.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Be careful with anything high in protein or fiber they can definitely cause weight gain. I know I have to watch my protein intake due to having one kidney because too much could actually shut down the function. Cravings are the worst but I have tried when I crave sweets or am hungry I make a glass of chocolate milk. I use skim milk and sugar free chocolate and it usually helps.
  • jennyrider
    Options
    I loved those bars! But I read somewhere granola bars are no good for you, so I stopped buying them.
    Are you looking for a lower protein snack? Anything with nuts and seeds is going to have more protein.
  • oxlypglozzxo
    Options
    I am WAY within my calorie goals, and i am under on my protein, i just dont want to eat this bar tonight and see that i gained a lb tomorrow. I'm a daily weigher and Im getting weighed at the doc tomorrow and am so nervous. Because Im drinking so much water during the day, when i go the scale says im 7lbs over what i was in the morning. Im dreading it. And obsessing about it,
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Source: October 2011 Men's Health Magazine
    Page 116 & 118

"How much protein can your body digest before the rest goes to waste?"

A) 10 grams
    B) 30 grams
    C) You're probably still digesting the ribe eye from this summer's cookout
    D) You can't eat too much.

Answer is D. Your body can absorb whatever dose of protein you ingest; larger amounts just take more time. Research shows that you retain an equal amount of lean muscle whether the day's food was consumed on a regular meal schedule or during a single 4-hour window.

Your takeaway: There's no need to parcel out your protein intake, although some protein at every meal is crucial to avoiding hunger. just hit your protein goals according to your schedule - your body will use what it needs when it needs to.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Had the hankering to binge on chocolate tonight so I ate a second Kashe TLC Chewy Almond and Flax Seed bar. It has 7g of protein.. What do you think of these products? I'm scared to up my protein intake because the doc says that was the reasoning behind my 5lb weight gain before.

Your doctor is a moron (well at least with nutrition) and most are. Protein doesn't make you fat. Excessive calories and carbs make you fat. The ammino acids in protein is an essential source of energy for a body and yoru body can break down protein.

And by the look of your diary, you are severely under eating most days which if you gain weight, that is more of an issue. And yes, you can gain weight by not eating enough calories.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I have never had their bars. . I just eat the kashi go lean or kashi go lean crunch. . both of which I really like for breakfast.
  • oxlypglozzxo
    Options
    Your doctor is a moron (well at least with nutrition) and most are. Protein doesn't make you fat. Excessive calories and carbs make you fat. The ammino acids in protein is an essential source of energy for a body and yoru body can break down protein.

And by the look of your diary, you are severely under eating most days which if you gain weight, that is more of an issue. And yes, you can gain weight by not eating enough calories.

It was my cardiologist that had said that to me. I just had heart surgery so I see him weekly. And I am severely under most days because as my job (server) I am on my feet ALL THE TIME. I eat when I'm hungry. I just cannot eat what I burn everyday, my tummy wont hold it! I'll be up eating until 5 in the morning if I actually ate EVERYTHING I burned. I just dont see that as working. AND I'm lost when I go to the grocery store. I dont know which foods to get and which ones to stay away from. (besides the obvious)
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Well, I can say the Kashi are much better than the tub of frozen yogurt I inhaled tonight. ughh
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

It was my cardiologist that had said that to me. I just had heart surgery so I see him weekly. And I am severely under most days because as my job (server) I am on my feet ALL THE TIME. I eat when I'm hungry. I just cannot eat what I burn everyday, my tummy wont hold it! I'll be up eating until 5 in the morning if I actually ate EVERYTHING I burned. I just dont see that as working.

My really good friend is a cardiologist and I can tell you I know more than her when it comes to fitness and nutrition and I do it for a hobby. I would try to eat higher calorie foods then, so if you are hungry for a bar eat up. I hear great things about their foods.
  • Christina269
    Options
    Kashi is my secret weakness.... I am the 8th Grain on a mission!! (really! I even had a blog... but it got hijacked and so I re-did it, but stopped writing after something happened, but going to start it again next week now that I'm going vegan... This is really quite too long to be in parenthesis....)