Palatable ways to eat psyllium husk powder

Bella_Figura
Bella_Figura Posts: 3,699 Member
I'm looking for ingenious and tasty ways that people incorporate powdered psyllium husk into their food. (By 'food' I mean proper food - so smoothies and oatmeal porridge are 'food,' but whey protein shakes (for me) aren't 'food'. No offence intended to whey-protein afficionados! ;) )

Or should I just chug it down in a glass of water?

Replies

• wi1234567890
    wi1234567890 Posts: 57 Member
    edited June 2021
    Personally I just drink it in a glass of water. It’s the only way that I can be consistent with it and not depend on the types of foods I’m eating that day. I use a straw and drink the entire cup in one go. It’s not bad at all (at least to me).

Edited to add - I really like the Metamucil brand of orange flavored psyllium and drank that for a while but then switched to just plain unflavored psyllium just to save a few calories.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited June 2021
    Psyllium is such a strange (but helpful) fiber. Mixing it with different foods made for too much variance for me.

Not saying it ruined any dishes but, like, I ended up just preferring to take small spoonfuls with gulps of water 🤷🏿‍♀️

Now I stick to fiber blends.
  • olgoogoo
    olgoogoo Posts: 1 Member
    I take it in capsule form. Easier than trying to stomach the taste/texture anywhere.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I just drink it but sometimes add it to oatmeal or yogurt w/fruit.

It would work in oatmeal cookies and granola that you bake/make yourself but I'm too lazy to do that.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,481 Member
    Assuming you're NOT getting in enough fiber. You can still get it in eating low calorie food. I'd rather eat lettuce than choke down psyllium.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,238 Member
    If you have a dehydrator…. And I do know this is a big if…. You can make a quick mix of psyllium husk and water. Blend it fast and dump it in a silicone pan. Dehydrate that until it’s crunchy.
    Makes a tasty little cracker.

We did that for a while. But we’re back to just chugging the psyllium husk with a Glucerna and some sparkling water at our house now.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,699 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Assuming you're NOT getting in enough fiber. You can still get it in eating low calorie food. I'd rather eat lettuce than choke down psyllium.

I’m getting about 30g a day but my body seems to require more. I’m beginning to agree about the psyllium - I’m really struggling with its unpalatability.
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 84 Member
    olgoogoo wrote: »
    I take it in capsule form. Easier than trying to stomach the taste/texture anywhere.

This is what my husband does.
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 145 Member
    Have you also increased your fluid intake?

FYI: in oatmeal stone ground is my favorite way. But , if you just sprinkle a little bit on your savory foods over the course of a day, you won't even notice it! If you do notice it, you sprinkled too much! 1Tbsp can be divided up into a lot of sprinkles. Sprinkle from high up or put in a shaker to keep it fine. You can also add a little to thicken sauces! Blended with a bit of cooked, soft fruit you can get a slightly jammy topping to mix with greek yogurt for a treat. Or freeze for a popsicle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I just drink the orange metamucil. I don't personally think it tastes bad.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I like to mix it in a bottle w/ water, shaken up, and drink it really fast.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I've been using it to thicken homemade dressings, reducing the amount of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) in it.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited July 2021
    Psyllium husk buns! I also make flax bread.. both increases fiber intake and are tasty.

Here are a few recipes- https://www.mypcoskitchen.com/18-psyllium-husk-recipes/

Also — how about chia for adding fiber to recipes?

When a recipe calls for flour.. you can always add in a little psyllium. Mozzarella sticks, potato skins, mini pizzas. use herbed flour of choice.. add in a teaspoon of psyllium (depending on size of batch) crisps up nicely! Adds a little fiber here and there. Crepes. Quiche… all can add in a little if you bake.

My fav is egg muffins.

Egg
    Diced vegetables of choice
    Cheese or meat optional
    Flax and or psyllium add in

Bake in muffin tin or silicon .. fluffy egg muffins with added fiber.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    olgoogoo wrote: »

This^

Last time I bought the powder, the store was out of my usual brand. Metamucil is popular for a reason. Anyway, I bought a substitute, yuck!