Keto cholesterol high

Can you help? I’ve been on keto almost 2 years (this September) and I love it. I just got a lipid test done to c if I was low n any minerals ect. It came back that my
Bad cholesterol is 236 they said it should be 130 or below and my total cholesterol is 325 and they said it should be lower than 200. They r putting me on Lipitor 10 ml and then recheck after 3 months.
I don’t want to have to go off of the keto diet bc it’s been a way of living and I will Amit I’m afraid to bc I’m afraid I may gain the weight back. Can u give me any advice? plz

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would think a high fat diet like keto would likely not be good for cholesterol. I have hereditary cholesterol issues and my Dr. and cardiologist absolutely do not recommend a keto diet as it would more likely than not exacerbate the problem.

Keto isn't some kind of magic. I just eat a balanced diet with lots of good nutrition and had not problems losing weight nor maintaining my weight loss for over 8 years.

My good cholesterol doubled with keto. And anecdotally, i see that often with many other ketogenic followers. Unfortunately, its the subsequent increase in LDL that over shadows it. My LDL went up 70 points within the first year but dropped by 40 after that. I suspect that could have been caused more by dieting. When i am hardcore keto to get lean, i sit around 130-140 for my LDL. But than again, never been below 99, even after 60 lbs of weight loss. Its genetic though. Both parents have higher ldl but we have zero heart disease in our family. Ironically, with keto my BP and HR drops 10 points within the first week. My triglycerides are 40 and fasting bg is 80.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    The good news that your body doesn't has distinguishing separation on BAD colesterol and GOOD cholesterol. If it produses something, it is for reason. The LDL is for transporting fatty acids and lipoproteins from the liver to all cells of the body. The HDL takes the opposite route: from the cells back to the liver
    The main point you have to watch it is an oxidation of the LDL. To determine it you measure just triglycerates number and HDL. So the triglycerades has to be low, but HDL high. What is important is ratio between Total/LDL, Total/LDL. The first should be 1 - 5, and second 1 - 4.
    TGL should be 10- 160. Also very important to watch level of Very Low LDL (VLLDL). If your doc don t order it , request it by yourself. And always measure INSULIN . It has to be bellow 5. tem of the body Why do you stay on keto all the time? The best way to use KETO as a tool, to use it when needed. Eat more green veggies, you may kick youself out from ketosis, but it will be more advantageouse when you next time get in to ketosis.
    The bad/good cholesterol theory is about 30 y/o. These days all things have changed dramatically, Cholesterol bad/good considered as specific important components of the body structurea and transportation syst

.More over , the older the person, than higher cholesterol of all types
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    I wouldn't stay on a Keto with cholesterol issues. I'd switch to a mostly plant-based or flexitarian in an heartbeat.
  • sethbrousseau
    sethbrousseau Posts: 12 Member
    I highly recommend watching the movie Fathead on YouTube. It has a lot of good info in it and it could give you some insight on what might be the problem in your current situation. They also talk about cholesterol levels a ton which is always good knowledge to have.

https://youtu.be/evcNPfZlrZs
  • lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    edited July 2021
    @psuLemon my HDL is 82mg my LDL is 236 total is 326
    Tri is 39
    I have thought about switching to Mediterranean keto but I’m not sure how to transfer to it and I’ll admit I’m scared I’ll gain weight back I’ve watched some you tubes about Mediterranean
  • psuLemon
    edited July 2021
    lillypade wrote: »
    @psuLemon my HDL is 82mg my LDL is 236 total is 326
    Tri is 39
    I have thought about switching to Mediterranean keto but I’m not sure how to transfer to it and I’ll admit I’m scared I’ll gain weight back I’ve watched some you tubes about Mediterranean

So you have amazing HDL and triglycerides. You could be a hyper responder for increase fats. I'd look into trying to replace SFA with MUFA and PUFA (non omega 6). Adding things like avocado, chia seeds, nuts (macadamia and walnuts particularly), replace fatty meats with lean meats, cook in avocado oil (evoo sucks for cooking from a smoking point stand point), and increase fiber consumption

You also have to realize that dieting alone can mess with ldl. Hell you can cheat ldl by switching to a moderate carb plan a week before the test.

ETA: adding fatty fish is also highly beneficial.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited July 2021
    What is your height and weight? The most common reasons for cholesterol being high are genetics, being overweight, and diet (not in order). Since being on keto, have you lost weight? Do you know what your cholesterol levels were before keto?

Generally speaking, animal fat and palm oils are bad for cholesterol. Healthy fats are not. Keto may not be the best plan for you. Sometimes weight loss alone will help your cholesterol but not always. Sometimes diet changes are necessary. Some foods that are good for cholesterol are fatty fish, garlic, and walnuts. Plant based and Mediterranean style diets are good.

I personally don’t believe keto is good for most people. I’m also a medical provider and have asked the cardiologists I work with about this plan to see what they think and they generally agree. I had a couple of patients present to the ER with heart attacks after being on keto for several months despite having lost weight during that time.
  • lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    @nooshi713 i am 5’5” and weight 123. No I never had any blood work done. Yes when I first started keto 2 years ago I was 139. I’m not trying to loose any more weight. I am thinking of trying the Mediterranean lifestyle but not sure how to do it or transition to it from keto.
  • psuLemon
    lillypade wrote: »
    @nooshi713 i am 5’5” and weight 123. No I never had any blood work done. Yes when I first started keto 2 years ago I was 139. I’m not trying to loose any more weight. I am thinking of trying the Mediterranean lifestyle but not sure how to do it or transition to it from keto.

You can do more Mediterranean keto or low carb. Below should help. Overall, more seafood, lean meats, seeds, nuts, some eggs, veggies and low gi fruit. Occasional red meat and dairy.

https://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-mediterranean-diet/