How to feed veggies to a picky man?!

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    @ Karliemyalgia

I've got to learn how to make bone broth, I cook a lot of whole chickens but throw out the bones despite knowing there is stuff I can do with it, I am just not very skilled in the kitchen.[/quote]

You can buy bone broth already prepared in the market. I don't know where you live but if you buy at Costco, try "Golden Laden" bone broth. It is very tasty, and you can use if for soups or to prepare other dishes as well. It has 9 grams of protein per 8oz serving.

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited July 2021
    @Karliemyalgia

bone broth = bones + water + vegetables, if desired + heat + time

"vegetables" can really be whatever, carrot/onion/celery is the classic aromatics combo. quarter your onion, roughly chop your carrot (or use a handful of baby carrots if that's what you have), roughly chop your celery, use the leafy bits too.

put your aromatics plus your bones in a big ol' pot, fill with enough water to cover, bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer, let it go as long as you like. (edit to add: I'd do a few hours, minimum.) use a spoon to skim the foam off the top of the water periodically (the scum comes from the bones, it's not dangerous, just ugly). you can do this in a slow cooker or instant pot, too, if you have them; if you use the pressure cooker, you can put it on high pressure for like, idk, half an hour? and that'll be plenty of time.

the biggest thing is to remember, when your beautiful broth is done simmering, to strain out the bones and spent veg (toss this stuff, it's way way way overcooked and not good to eat anymore, it's given all of itself into the liquid) by pouring it INTO A BOWL and not DOWN THE SINK DRAIN, a tragic fate that has befallen many a home cook.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 351 Member
    You can hide a lot of veggies if you blend them into spaghetti sauce. That being said, why are you taking an ostensibly grown man on to raise? I'd give him a V8 and walk away, but I'm tough that way.

I did this and I put in a LOT of veggies and didn't even notice. I did three bell peppers and an onion and honestly couldn't even tell they were in there.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    5. I'm a numbers nerd, and did research on which vegetables give the most bang for your buck, as in how can I get the most nutrition from eating the fewest veggies, lol. I determined that broccoli was king, so focused on finding which method of eating it was least un-appealing. For me, that proved to be steamed, with salt and butter. Eventually I grew to at first tolerate, then enjoy, now love steamed broccoli (as anybody reading my food diary can testify).

My husband had the same logic and started with broccoli too. He now goes through multiple heads a week. I went from being the only person in the house eating vegetables to having to hide a bit of broccoli if I want to make sure I have some for myself! :)
  • Karliemyalgia
    Karliemyalgia Posts: 146 Member
    edited July 2021
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    What about creamed or pureed vegetable soup?

You can use fresh or frozen vegetables (add more carrots to camouflage the other veggies). Cook them in bone broth for added protein, and when the vegetables are done use the blender, or the hand held blender, to puree everything. You can replace half the broth with cream or coconut milk.

But I also agree with other posters you are not a maid, and if he doesn't like what you cook, send him back to his mother, or to McD.

Note to self: go a kiss your husband because he loves and eats everything the you prepare... <3

Great suggestion! I'll have to give it a go.
    And not to worry, he is not rude, he is not mean about it. He just simply wont eat what he doesn't like and I don't fault him for that. I feel that some of the responders have been a little rough on him hehe, maybe I did not word everything in a great light, but I also don't know their experiences and some people can be pretty awful! While he is a picky eater, that is his worst trait which is great in the grand scheme of things. And while I am not his maid, I am the one who cooks the meals in the household and that dynamic works for us! So he wants to try to eat healthier, he desires to, it's just hard for him and his picky brain. So I want to try to discover ways to help him out with that :) there are some great ideas here in the thread.

I've got to learn how to make bone broth, I cook a lot of whole chickens but throw out the bones despite knowing there is stuff I can do with it, I am just not very skilled in the kitchen.

Maybe I was rough on him. Sorry. :( Our circumstances are definitely different and that can give us different perspective, for sure. My dh and I separated for 12 years and he was doing fine cooking for himself. So when we got back together, one of the criteria was I wasn't going to cook for him because he was capable and he would criticize what I made. :/ And some days I absolutely do feel guilty about not cooking because I'm retired and he is not(he's chosen to keep working which is probably healthier for our relationship but that's a whole other topic :)). And I do keep asking him if there's anything special he'd like me to make(as most of us, I have a few signature dishes to my name) so the offer is there for him. He chooses to not eat so many healthier foods and that's on him. :( He also smokes which is on him. :( So I don't have much of a say for him to choose healthier. Trust me, I've tried.

When my firstborn refused veggies, I used spinach to make him smoothie type drinks; would your dh drink those? There'd be so many ways to disguise veggies and fruits there. Meat loaf is another food that could get some blended veggies in. Search for recipes using pumpkin/sweet potato/zucchini; those types of foods can be used in pies, cookies, cakes, brownies, etc., if he has a sweet tooth.

Wishing you much luck in reaching your goals for him. :) AND thank you for being understanding of some of your replies and you're sweet to want to do this for him.

Ohh hehe no worries at all, I don't think you personally were rough on him asking to be sure he wasn't being mean about it. And I am glad he is not, he doesn't criticize or complain. I wouldn't be able to put up with that kind of thing I'd be too sassy lol!!

I'll ask him what he liked/didn't like especially if I saw that he didn't eat it, and i'll try to figure something else out. He will give suggestions but neither of us are skilled cooks. Haha, oh well!!

Ahhh I'm sorry it was a struggle to try to get him to choose healthier options, sometimes theres nothing you can do about it really! You're not their mother, so, you can love them and dislike their negative habits. I can't "force" my hubby to do anything, and frankly why would I want to? At least in this case He's actively wanting to try to eat healthier, and I'm the one that prepares the meals so the people who suggest "he cooks his own food" that here just isn't the dynamic. And I don't think some people here really read the post because I get responses "If he won't eat any vegetables" where, my post clearly points out that he likes to eat the vegetables raw and the vegetables he will eat lmaooooo~ Sooo... I think people just jump on the hate train, we've gotten a good laugh at him I even said "I'll throw you to the MFP fourms where they'll tear you apart for being so picky" haha!! "Why bother" "If he doesn't like it than forget about him" etc... lol!! I guess they assume he's not trying. Or being childish for having picky preferences "as an adult..." But in this case its me making the meals. Is he trying to pick up stuff on his own time? Not really, but that's not up to me and he'll make that choice when he wants to. But as for the main meals? That's my domain and he wants to eat healthier but is so picky, so me looking for more suggestions to try makes sense hehe.

The smoothie thing is a great idea!! He would definitely drinks smoothies, I am just not very good at making them and to be completely honest I am really lazy in the kitchen lol so measuring and stuff is just so much hassle sometimes but then my smoothies with spinach never really turn out that nice. They're OK. But nothing amazing. If you have any you like I'd be all ears :) and YES to the sweet tooth, at least for me LOL!! He would have some probably, so if its healthier than normal and still tastes great I'd be down :)

No worries, I appreciate you taking the time to respond, I hope you don't mind but I've sent you a friend request :)
  • Karliemyalgia
    edited July 2021
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Honestly, if he hates veggies, then just don't eat them. You can be plenty healthy without veggies. In general, i eat veggies a few times a week and its mainly peppers, onions, spinach and avocado (mainly in the form of guacamole). If anything, just add fruits, seeds, nuts and whole grains.

Eta: you can add things like chia seeds or flaxseed into smoothies/protein shakes. Adding more fish/seafood and reducing process foods would be a good first step. If he exercises, that is also great.

Unfortunately I don't think you read the post correctly or I did not express myself properly. It states in the post the vegetables he will eat "He will eat salad, spinach, celery, green beans and snap peas, cucumbers and baby carrot"
    and how he likes them raw, I am just expressing the desire for more variety in ways to prepare that he may like, because he is so picky, it is difficult, but variety is the spice of life after all. And there are nutrients in other vegetables that he could benefit from if only there was a way he would eat them. Blending them seems to be the method I think he would agree with the most, as if he doesn't know it's there/can't taste it -- he cannot object to it haha! So nowhere does it state he hates vegetables. He's just picky when it comes to texture, preparation, names lol

Maybe one day he will exercise more, hes got himself a belly now-a-days ;)
  • Karliemyalgia
    I married someone who is a much pickier eater than me. We just got into the habit of preparing our own meals, although we're always willing to share if what the other is preparing is appealing.

He didn't eat vegetables regularly until he was in his forties. He began to realize the value of eating them regularly and he started experimenting with different ways to prepare them. He now has a nice little collection of vegetable dishes that he enjoys and eats them daily. The point was that it was what he wanted and he was willing to do the work to find out what appealed to him.

Glad he found something that works for him!
  • Karliemyalgia
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    You consider this as part of an act of service to your hubby then? Ok; there seems to be a stable of veggies he already likes so no need to stress about range. It's more getting the number of servings up while keeping your current limitations in mind.

* Smoothies
    * Stews
    * Sauces (non-dairy with which to smother raw or cooked veggies)
    * Using homemade, low-sodium veggie broth in recipes instead of water

I'd also just pre-chop what he likes and keep it in an accessible place. At the same time, gradually reduce the other non-veg/non-fruit snack options in the home.

ETA: I wouldn't condone the sneak approach with kids, let alone adults. I think folks should know what they're eating and learn to expand their palette. This takes patience from everyone involved and sometimes multiple approaches. But that's me.

"You consider this as part of an act of service to your hubby then?" -- I'm not quite sure I understand...but Yes? It is an act of service to cook for him, as it is an act of service for him to provide the things he does for me. And he wishes to try to eat healthier and since I do the cooking seeking out suggestions is a natural course of action, and could be considered a considerate act of love for him, as I could just cook whatever and not care about his desires but I want to try to help him in the ways I can :)

Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate it!
    The smoothies and sauces sound like a great fit for him. I'll have to try out some new recipes.

Ahhh I understand! You may not condone it but he himself is perfectly fine with it. He knows how picky he is and if he doesn't know it is there/cannot taste it then he can't object to it! He actively wants to be healthier and so if I am putting healthier things into his food and just not telling him because he is picky, and he likes the taste of things, he is fine with it.
    Not everyone wants to take the time, or have to patience to expand their palette. And some people know how picky they are and the sneaky methods that might work for them! -- This is obviously a case by case basis. Some adults might not be happy with it.
    When it comes to eating healthier and sneaking in healthier food to kids, personally I feel what they don't know can't hurt them. If you think it hinders their palette and preferences later on, personally that is a small and reversible price to pay for being healthier in the moment! My mother snuck healthier options in for me as a child and I turned out okay ;)
  • Karliemyalgia
    It'll kind of kill the point of a veggie, but I bet deep fried works.

Ahahhaa YES! Lol!
  • Karliemyalgia
    csplatt wrote: »
    If he has a real issue with texture like a sensory processing challenge, it can take hundreds of exposures before he’s willing to eat it and IMO thats not really your job at this age. My son is 12 and is like this, needed professional help to not literally get sick when trying to eat. We just let him eat his stuff as separates rather than expect casseroles and salads, etc. He loves a good smoothie! We use a Vitamix blender. For what it’s worth, my father is the same! His only “veggies” are iceberg lettuce and canned peas! 🤷🏻‍♀️

Awww I hope your son is doing better these days that sounds like a challenge! Great suggestion with the smoothies!! I got the Ninja blender but I hear Vitamix is really great!!

Fortunately, he will eat the listed vegetables I mentioned above in the OP raw, (add onions in that too) and just doesn't like mushy/soft vegetables of any kind it seems so far my cooking of them has not been something he likes. And that's totally fine. There is nothing wrong with him being a picky eater, even if his preferences are rather silly sometimes. :D

And while It's not my job to feel him no but he expressed his desires to eat healthier and I prepare the meals, so finding ways to help change and incorporate healthier options for him in this case IS the thing I wish to do for him because I care about him.
  • Karliemyalgia
    We love vegetables around here in any form but our favorite way is to grill a lot of them. Eggplant, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, peppers, onions, carrots, brussel sprouts, romaine lettuce, green beans, corn etc - everything goes on the grill. Depending on the size of the pieces I either place them directly on the grill or in a grill basket. I just very lightly spray the veggies with oil and grill them. They are delicious.

Ooh interesting!! Does grilling the veggies make them soft or are they still hard? It sounds delicious!! watch out you might find me at your next BBQ ;)
  • Karliemyalgia
    We're another cook-it-yourself couple. I'm a vegan who eats 40-50 g of fiber from veggies every day. His idea of 3 servings of fruits & veg is one mushroom in his scrambled eggs, a piece of lettuce on his sammy, and a fig bar. But he takes fiber supplements

He's not overweight, his blood work is fine, and he's my partner not my toddler.

Oooh Im glad you've found what works for you guys!! I'd love to know how you get so much fiber in a day/what veggies. Fiber is something I've been tracking more lately, I think that it's importance in the diet is understated.
  • Karliemyalgia
    nossmf wrote: »
    I'm a guy who up until age 25 or so refused to eat any vegetable not named corn or carrot.

Fast forward a couple decades, and I now eat a variety of veggies. Some things I've learned about myself...

1. Tastes change with time. Foods I hated as a kid are now among my favorite foods today. The hard part is being willing to at least try them again.
    2. I found it easier to start adding vegetables to foods I already enjoyed, before expanding to eating the same veggie on its own. For example, my roast beef sandwich used to be: bread, meat, cheese. I then added onion, had it that way a few times to get used to it. Over time I've added peppers, spinach, tomato, cucumber... yet it remains a roast beef sandwich.
    3. I still prefer veggies included as a part of what I'm eating rather than a separate dish. From my sandwich example above or stir fries, soups or chili, I'm much more comfortable with eating altogether. I will eat a pile of veggies on the side of my plate, but that takes a conscious decision on my part.
    4. Mushy veggies remain a bugaboo for me. I'll eat raw, roasted or sauteed veggies, anything with a crunch, over most steamed examples. If soft veggies are required, adding various seasonings, from salt to paprika or whatever, helps. (The exception being broccoli...I can't stand it in its raw state.)
    5. I'm a numbers nerd, and did research on which vegetables give the most bang for your buck, as in how can I get the most nutrition from eating the fewest veggies, lol. I determined that broccoli was king, so focused on finding which method of eating it was least un-appealing. For me, that proved to be steamed, with salt and butter. Eventually I grew to at first tolerate, then enjoy, now love steamed broccoli (as anybody reading my food diary can testify).
    6. My wife got my son to eat more vegetables by encouraging him to dip them in something, whether ranch or melted garlic butter or melted cheese, something. Once she determined what he was at least ok with, that became a standard snack item given while he's watching tv or playing video games, something where he's distracted and mindlessly eating with only minimal attention spent on the flavor before he's distracted again by the explosion or whatnot on the screen. Swapping out chips for veggies and dips was healthier, and we stopped giving him grief over eating veggies during dinner.

Thanks for your feedback! Great lessons come with time. I definitely need to learn how to prepare more vegetables and keep their crunch! The mushy, soggy or even soft vegetables he doesn't enjoy much and I find just raw vegetables to be so bland sometimes. I don't even know what spices would be good to put on them lol! I think with broccolli i'd have to blend it into pasta sauces or something!!
  • Karliemyalgia
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    @ Karliemyalgia

I've got to learn how to make bone broth, I cook a lot of whole chickens but throw out the bones despite knowing there is stuff I can do with it, I am just not very skilled in the kitchen.

You can buy bone broth already prepared in the market. I don't know where you live but if you buy at Costco, try "Golden Laden" bone broth. It is very tasty, and you can use if for soups or to prepare other dishes as well. It has 9 grams of protein per 8oz serving.

[/quote]

Oh really?? I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for it!
  • Karliemyalgia
    @Karliemyalgia

"vegetables" can really be whatever, carrot/onion/celery is the classic aromatics combo. quarter your onion, roughly chop your carrot (or use a handful of baby carrots if that's what you have), roughly chop your celery, use the leafy bits too.

put your aromatics plus your bones in a big ol' pot, fill with enough water to cover, bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer, let it go as long as you like. (edit to add: I'd do a few hours, minimum.) use a spoon to skim the foam off the top of the water periodically (the scum comes from the bones, it's not dangerous, just ugly). you can do this in a slow cooker or instant pot, too, if you have them; if you use the pressure cooker, you can put it on high pressure for like, idk, half an hour? and that'll be plenty of time.

the biggest thing is to remember, when your beautiful broth is done simmering, to strain out the bones and spent veg (toss this stuff, it's way way way overcooked and not good to eat anymore, it's given all of itself into the liquid) by pouring it INTO A BOWL and not DOWN THE SINK DRAIN, a tragic fate that has befallen many a home cook.

Thank you for your detailed and easy to follow method, I think you've convinced me to give it a try. What do you use to strain it? A spaghetti strainer with the semi-bigger holes or something meshy?

We literally make roast chicken every week and the bones get tossed. Although I don't know WHAT to do with the bone broth once its made lol I've never made homemade soups or stews or whatever else you could do with it. I just hear it makes things pretty tasty!! And thanks for the warning about the drain, don't wanna mess that up lol!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Honestly, if he hates veggies, then just don't eat them. You can be plenty healthy without veggies. In general, i eat veggies a few times a week and its mainly peppers, onions, spinach and avocado (mainly in the form of guacamole). If anything, just add fruits, seeds, nuts and whole grains.

Eta: you can add things like chia seeds or flaxseed into smoothies/protein shakes. Adding more fish/seafood and reducing process foods would be a good first step. If he exercises, that is also great.

Unfortunately I don't think you read the post correctly or I did not express myself properly. It states in the post the vegetables he will eat "He will eat salad, spinach, celery, green beans and snap peas, cucumbers and baby carrot"
    and how he likes them raw, I am just expressing the desire for more variety in ways to prepare that he may like, because he is so picky, it is difficult, but variety is the spice of life after all. And there are nutrients in other vegetables that he could benefit from if only there was a way he would eat them. Blending them seems to be the method I think he would agree with the most, as if he doesn't know it's there/can't taste it -- he cannot object to it haha! So nowhere does it state he hates vegetables. He's just picky when it comes to texture, preparation, names lol

Maybe one day he will exercise more, hes got himself a belly now-a-days ;)

Which nutrients does he need from veggies that he can't get from other foods outside of veggies?

• wi1234567890
    wi1234567890 Posts: 57 Member
    We love vegetables around here in any form but our favorite way is to grill a lot of them. Eggplant, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, peppers, onions, carrots, brussel sprouts, romaine lettuce, green beans, corn etc - everything goes on the grill. Depending on the size of the pieces I either place them directly on the grill or in a grill basket. I just very lightly spray the veggies with oil and grill them. They are delicious.

Ooh interesting!! Does grilling the veggies make them soft or are they still hard? It sounds delicious!! watch out you might find me at your next BBQ ;)

It really depends on the vegetable. Something like zucchini or eggplant will get soft. Zucchini can get mushy if you cook it fir too long so it only needs a few minutes. Eggplant needs longer cooking but it’s delicious. Broccoli will get charred a smoky and delicious but it stays firm. Next time you have your grill on just put a few pieces on snd see what happens.

Another thing to try is a smoothie with zucchini and spinach. My favorite is to blend zucchini, spinach, a couple of dates for sweetness with coconut milk or any other kind of milk, a drop of mint extract and ice. Once it’s blended and smooth add a few chocolate chips and blend for just a couple of seconds. Enough to lightly break up the chocolate. It tastes just like mint chocolate chip ice cream.

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    @Karliemyalgia

Thank you for your detailed and easy to follow method, I think you've convinced me to give it a try. What do you use to strain it? A spaghetti strainer with the semi-bigger holes or something meshy?

We literally make roast chicken every week and the bones get tossed. Although I don't know WHAT to do with the bone broth once its made lol I've never made homemade soups or stews or whatever else you could do with it. I just hear it makes things pretty tasty!! And thanks for the warning about the drain, don't wanna mess that up lol!

Whatever you've got for a strainer will work. Last time I made stock, I put a big plastic colander inside an even bigger plastic bowl and just poured very carefully - put the bowl in the sink to make it easier if you're also vertically challenged. Then just lift out the colander and toss the contents.

As for what to do with it, here are some ideas:
    • Chicken noodle soup is the obvious one, of course. Brown the chicken first in a little fat of your choice, then set aside while you saute the vegetables in the chicken drippings. I'd use the same aromatics as you used for the stock. Once they're soft and starting to brown, pour in a little of your chicken stock and scrape up all that good good brown stuff on the bottom of the pan, that's flavor, baybee (this is called "deglazing" - it works better in pans that are not nonstick for obvious reasons.). Then put your chicken back, pour in however much more stock you want (you can cut it with water, too), add your egg noodles, bring to boil and simmer until the noodles are cooked.
    • Replace some or all of the water you use to cook rice with broth/stock. Works fine with store-bought broth/stock as well.
    • Cook ramen in broth or half-and-half broth and water.
    • Make a gravy/pan sauce. Works great for steak or pork chops. Cook a piece of meat and set it aside to rest once it's done; add some flour to the pan drippings (start with about a tablespoon, add more if it doesn't form a paste); stir constantly until the raw flour smell is gone and it smells toasty; deglaze as described above with stock/broth; keep stirring and add more broth a little at a time until your gravy is the consistency you like.
    • Drink that s***. No, really, there's a reason they call chicken soup Jewish penicillin. It's nourishing and comforting.