Belly fat

Options
Im talking above the waist. Is that what is called the spare tire? Is there a way to target that to lose it? Im big all over, but I know if I could get rid of that, it would so help me to feel better about myself and to work on the rest of me with more conviction.

When I put on clothes, that is was I see, what sticks out, what holds me back from certain clothes.

I would like to just cut it off and be done with it. LOL

Replies

• echeindl
    echeindl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I've got that tire goin on too :( So bad for the self esteem when looking in a mirror
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce, maintain a caloric deficit and it will go away eventually
  • ritas
    ritas Posts: 12
    Options
    I walk with a waist trimming belt. I got it at Walmart. you can also find it at a sporting goods store. It has helped me sweat in that area and have noticed that I am losing inches there. Hope this helps.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Time, lots of cardio, whole wheat products and staying away from fast food and other foods that have over calories from fat (excluding nuts, avocados and other good fats).
  • cazzincali
    cazzincali Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce, maintain a caloric deficit and it will go away eventually

this.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    would be nice if you could though, my thighs and I would be having a serious parting of ways.
  • navjhaj
    Options

Yes, true, but I find that most of my fat is around the waist, so as I lose weight, it will mostly leave that area. :)
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I will share what I've found has helped me- I avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup @ all costs.
    I KNOW there's quite a controversy about it, but I'm not out anything by getting RID of it from my diet.

My hubby's NOT on a diet, but our girls noticed he's losing his belly bulge too- because I'm the one who buys the food
    and cooks- and he's not eating it either.

And this is the FIRST time in my life I'm losing the double chin-

I also take a cinnamon supplement- it's purported to burn fat ( again, can't hurt I say)

Check out Josh Benzoni- BellyFatFree.com- he's got a FB page too- with helpful hints
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

Yes, true, but I find that most of my fat is around the waist, so as I lose weight, it will mostly leave that area. :)

But everyone's body loses weight in different areas first. I lost in my face and breasts, then waist and legs. I still have a decent amount of belly fat that has slowly been going down since I started exercising 1-3 times a day 6 days a week.
  • buckaroos30
    buckaroos30 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz had a whole show on belly fat yesterday. get on his web site and check it out.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get rid of my belly too!
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I was told cutting out bad carbs and making sure good carbs are in range
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    :heart: thanks everyone
  • aneajo
    Options
    I've got that tire goin on too :( So bad for the self esteem when looking in a mirror

EXACTLY
  • aneajo
    Options
    I will share what I've found has helped me- I avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup @ all costs.
    I KNOW there's quite a controversy about it, but I'm not out anything by getting RID of it from my diet.

Totally try to stay away from that. My kids are good on spotting it in the ingredients. If its in, they know we dont get it. :)
  • Telsera
    Telsera Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can't really pick where you lose from, you'll lose all over, so you can't force your body to lose only belly fat. What does help with belly fat is mostly diet once you get down to the real stubborn stuff. You want to watch your carb intake and try to get what carbs you do eat from mostly veggies and some whole grains, but if you still have a way to go then I wouldn't worry about that just yet. You can work up to it. If you try to change too many things at once you'll go crazy and not want to stick with it. Just focus on healthier choices and you'll be fine.

Do you exercise at all? Doing some toning could help you lose inches around your waist without necessarily having to lose a ton of weight first. Some people on this site that have done Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred have posted some really good before and after pictures and many of them did lose quite a bit around their middle. I think all you need is the DVD and some light weights, neither of which are very expensive. Cardio will also help overall, but it won't help you drop inches from your tummy the way some toning will. I have not personally tried 30 day shred, but look on the success stories forum and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I understand where you are coming from, I gain in my middle too and its not fun. BUT, I have lost almost 18lbs so far and I'm probably one of the laziest people I know, so if i can do it, there is hope for you too! Just do one step at a time.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I wish it you could spot reduce, but alas you can't. It's the last place I lose and I'm very close to my goal and don't see it being where I want it with 2lbs to go. Hopefully I can tone and eventually get rid of the belly!
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I would advocate good old fashioned core work... not crunches because they do nothing for the overall core but if you work the core the muscle will burn fat and help trim the middle. Beyond that simply reducing the caloric intake will eventually bring about a reduction of inches and when paired with working out you will eventually tone which will make it all look more trim.

A good free site for workouts is http://www.bodyrock.tv/ but the workouts are tough.
  • aneajo
    Options

Do you exercise at all? Doing some toning could help you lose inches around your waist without necessarily having to lose a ton of weight first. Some people on this site that have done Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred have posted some really good before and after pictures and many of them did lose quite a bit around their middle. I think all you need is the DVD and some light weights, neither of which are very expensive. Cardio will also help overall, but it won't help you drop inches from your tummy the way some toning will. I have not personally tried 30 day shred, but look on the success stories forum and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I do exercise. Some weeks are better than others. I don't know if I can handle Jillian. I would be one of those people crying on the biggest loser with her in my face. lol. Il have to see if the library has one of her videos.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

What he said. But for me, I'm noticing that is the area I seem to be losing the most from because it has the most excess to begin with. Use MFP to track your calories and be sure to add in cardio and strength training. Try Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred! :D