Incorporating Chia Seeds

ehju0901
ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
I recently started trying to add chia seeds to my diet. So far I have added them to yogurt, cottage cheese and added it to mayo to spread on the inside of a wrap.

I was doing some reading on it and it sounds like I should be letting the chia seeds sit after mixing it into things for a while before eating it, otherwise it can have some adverse effects on the body. Is this true? Any other tips?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    I don't know about adverse effects but letting them sit allows them to expand and it will thicken your meal. I love chia pudding and chia parfaits and eat them semi regularly. You can add them to protein shakes also. They are a good source of fiber. And while they contain omega 3s, its not very bioavailable.

Here are three of my puddings i make.

k593cwn8wp5u.jpg

f7pofqkinxv6.jpg

3y33b91xlzbp.jpg

• ehju0901
    Those look DELICIOUS @psuLemon! Would you mind sharing the recipe for the top one? I'd love to try something like this, and it looks simple enough for me to make!
  • psuLemon
    ehju0901 wrote: »
    Those look DELICIOUS @psuLemon! Would you mind sharing the recipe for the top one? I'd love to try something like this, and it looks simple enough for me to make!

Would you like one with or without the use of protein powder?
  • ehju0901
    psuLemon wrote: »

Probably without, I don't currently have any at home. If anything, I'd probably sub in some PB2.
  • psuLemon

Probably without, I don't currently have any at home. If anything, I'd probably sub in some PB2.

4 oz Almond or other nut milk
    ½ Cup or 85g of Greek Yogurt
    1 scoop of protein powder (PEScience is my favorites) - optional
    2 tbsp or 30g chia seeds
    2 tbsp sweetener
    1 tsp vanilla extract or unsweetened cocoa powder (if you want chocolate)

You can add 2 tbsp PB2 and 1 tbsp natural peanut butter (natural mixes better) for peanut butter goodness.

If you do chocolate: adding a tbsp of sugar free chocolate syrup is also good.

• ehju0901

4 oz Almond or other nut milk
    ½ Cup or 85g of Greek Yogurt
    1 scoop of protein powder (PEScience is my favorites) - optional
    2 tbsp or 30g chia seeds
    2 tbsp sweetener
    1 tsp vanilla extract or unsweetened cocoa powder (if you want chocolate)

You can add 2 tbsp PB2 and 1 tbsp natural peanut butter (natural mixes better) for peanut butter goodness.

If you do chocolate: adding a tbsp of sugar free chocolate syrup is also good.

Thank you! I may try this out this weekend if I get a chance to get to the store!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I cook them in my overnight oatmeal.

I also sprinkle them on the salads I pack for lunch at work. I pack the salads in the morning and don't eat them until after noon, so the seeds have several hours to absorb moisture from the other salad ingredients
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    I do think it's better to allow them to absorb moisture and expand before eating them...simply because I like the texture. I put them in oatmeal, overnight oats, make puddings with them....I also just chuck some into my water bottle as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    If you don't allow them to absorb moisture and expand before eating them, be prepared to spend a lot of time picking them out of your teeth :lol:

I like to let them soak at least 15 minutes, but I prefer to soak them for 24 hours. I used a soaked batch, then start a new one.
  • ehju0901
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If you don't allow them to absorb moisture and expand before eating them, be prepared to spend a lot of time picking them out of your teeth :lol:

I like to let them soak at least 15 minutes, but I prefer to soak them for 24 hours. I used a soaked batch, then start a new one.

Yeah, I picked up on them getting stuck in my teeth quickly lol!