Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the U.S. Government about to try and tackle the Obesity Epidemic?

Options
123457»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    g2renew wrote: »
    Bàck to original question:

Government HAS made attempts to fix our obesity issues multiple times in my lifetime. They have had Presidents physical fitness stuff with certificates for participating, and Surgeon General's guidelines and PSAs, and how many times have we had a food pyramid? Oh, yeah..how about those food labels? Does it look like any of these have made a real difference?

Govt has given us alerts that eating fat makes us fat, passed laws against different foods and additives and sweeteners (Tab, anyone?), and then given official sanction to other foods and additives and sweeteners that they later warn us against. Milk, eggs, you know the drill- Bad for you, good for you.

Not sure exactly what the fix is, because there are too many underlying things that either directly cause the problems or exacerbate them.

Some can be fixed- like accessibility to information, medical care, and better foods, and making misleading labelling of food a crime. Some can only be discouraged, like laziness and giving sweet treats as rewards. And we can give encouragement and support to those who are making an effort.

As for those who choose to remain blind and deaf to common sense and efforts to help, well, you know the saying.

It is up to each of us to do the best we can- for ourselves, our family, and our fellow man. IMO, the more govt is involved in our daily lives, the more screwed up things get. They aren't doing a good enough job with my tax money for me to hand over my health and my children's future.

The original question was about one specific pending bill, not about government efforts through the years. And the bill wasn't about some wholesale change in the way the government approaches obesity, but just some incremental changes at the edges about what kind of medical professionals under what conditions can be paid for providing weight-loss treatments, services, etc. under Medicare and Medicaid, IIRC. Which is probably the most the government can do effectively -- incremental changes in what's available, be it medical support, healthy food options that aren't too calorie-dense where those are lacking, and more safe places to exercise where those are lacking. As you suggest, there's not much that can be done to help those who can't or won't accept help.