Will my weight loss plan work?

johnfrem
johnfrem Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I am a 40 yr old 6 foot tall male who weighs 365lbs. I am morbidly obese. I am currently drinking 120gm per day of whey protein isolate (each scoop is 120 calories and 24gm of protein) the increased protein really helps me not over eat and feeling full. From the research I have done for my body weight of 365lbs roughly 165gm of daily protein seems to be a proper amount of protein for me. I know some foods have protein as well. I try to make sure with the food I eat and the whey protein shakes to never exceed 165gm of protein per day.

I am eating mostly salads and 100% whole wheat bread turkey breast sandwiches with a slice of cheese and a little mayo. I am eating other foods too but making sure I eat very little sugary or processed foods or simple carbs and making sure I eat no more than 2400 calories per day.

As for exercise. I am a truck driver who has no ability to get to a proper gym because I am constantly on the road. I also can't lift weights because I had a MAJOR surgery on my arm and have metal rods and screws holding my hand and arm together. I can not use my right hand for alot of forceful activity.

However when I am working I have to unload a 53 foot trailer 5 days a week. It takes me about 1 hour per day 5 days a week to unload the truck. I am pushing heavy 250lb-2000lbs carts on wheels. The physical activity unloading the truck gets my heart rate up and I work up a good sweat, I would compare the physical activity to taking a 1 hour brisk fast pace walk 5 days a week for 1 hour.

If I lose weight as I progress I will decrease the amount of my protein intake to 1gm of protein per kilo gram of body weight as I drop in weight so that I am not taking in too much protein.

I want to know am I on the right track to shedding some weight? I want to get down to a healthy weight. I want to lose weight slowly over a few years.

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    johnfrem wrote: »
    I am a 40 yr old 6 foot tall male who weighs 365lbs. I am morbidly obese. I am currently drinking 120gm per day of whey protein isolate (each scoop is 120 calories and 24gm of protein) the increased protein really helps me not over eat and feeling full. From the research I have done for my body weight of 365lbs roughly 165gm of daily protein seems to be a proper amount of protein for me. I know some foods have protein as well. I try to make sure with the food I eat and the whey protein shakes to never exceed 165gm of protein per day.

I am eating mostly salads and 100% whole wheat bread turkey breast sandwiches with a slice of cheese and a little mayo. I am eating other foods too but making sure I eat very little sugary or processed foods or simple carbs and making sure I eat no more than 2400 calories per day.

As for exercise. I am a truck driver who has no ability to get to a proper gym because I am constantly on the road. I also can't lift weights because I had a MAJOR surgery on my arm and have metal rods and screws holding my hand and arm together. I can not use my right hand for alot of forceful activity.

However when I am working I have to unload a 53 foot trailer 5 days a week. It takes me about 1 hour per day 5 days a week to unload the truck. I am pushing heavy 250lb-2000lbs carts on wheels. The physical activity unloading the truck gets my heart rate up and I work up a good sweat, I would compare the physical activity to taking a 1 hour brisk fast pace walk 5 days a week for 1 hour.

If I lose weight as I progress I will decrease the amount of my protein intake to 1gm of protein per kilo gram of body weight as I drop in weight so that I am not taking in too much protein.

I want to know am I on the right track to shedding some weight? I want to get down to a healthy weight. I want to lose weight slowly over a few years.

do you use whey protein because of that is the only thing you have time to eat? Or is it just to hit protein. I would suggest protein at 1 gram per pound of target BW. Higher protein intakes help control appetite, and might also help retention of lean mass, even when not lifting. Don't be afraid of some "simple" carbs. Fruit is amazing and can help with appetite. best wishes.
  • johnfrem
    johnfrem Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2021
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Quick math says you're having 5-6 scoops of protein powder a day. Not my ideal (I max out at two scoops) but we have radically different lifestyles.

Your eating plan and exercise sound like they could very well fit your goal but have you checked in with a nutritionist or dietitian about it?

Lastly, thank you for being part of the essential crew of people who've been getting our goods to us, especially during the pandemic 🙌🏿

From everything I been reading 1gm of protein per kilo gram of body weight. I am 165 kilo gram body weight. Thus 165gm of protein is how I came up with 5-6 scoops of protein powder per day. Is this correct?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Quick math says you're having 5-6 scoops of protein powder a day. Not my ideal (I max out at two scoops) but we have radically different lifestyles.

Your eating plan and exercise sound like they could very well fit your goal but have you checked in with a nutritionist or dietitian about it?

Lastly, thank you for being part of the essential crew of people who've been getting our goods to us, especially during the pandemic 🙌🏿

From everything I been reading 1gm of protein per kilo gram of body weight. I am 165 kilo gram body weight. Thus 165gm of protein is how I came up with 5-6 scoops of protein powder per day. Is this correct?

I would suggest not relying on protein powders if you can. They can be good in a pinch or to replace a meal a day, but there is plenty of evidence that liquid calories do not produce the same satiety effects as eaten calories.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited July 2021

As was mentioned earlier thanks for being out there and keeping things rolling. I'd also add to a earlier post, vegetables are your friend for controlling hunger along with fruit.

Summary from the article linked

"Currently, most evidence suggests that ~1.6 grams of protein per kilogram, or .73 grams of protein per pound is a recommended daily target for protein intake to spare lean body mass loss during periods of weight loss."

It mentions in another part of the article you should base your protein off your goal weight, So for if you're shooting for 100 kb bodyweight you should be looking at 160 grams, which puts your current protein intake almost spot on based on the guidelines in the article if that is your goal. The key is you should not be reducing the protein intake as you lose weight.

https://blog.nasm.org/nutrition/how-much-protein-should-you-eat-per-day-for-weight-loss

Also a couple article on food and exercise as a driver

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a34381913/trucker-weight-loss-workout-body-transformation/

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a19534152/on-the-road-fitness/

Best of luck and stay safe out there.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    From what you've posted, which isn't a full view of your diet of course, I do wonder if you're not lacking healthy fats? Avocado, nuts, fatty fish,... Our bodies need (healthy) fats to be healthy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    In addition to what others have said above (with which I largely agree):

You're writing as if your protein goal is a thing you should not exceed. That's not the case.

If you have weight management goals, a correct, sensible calorie goal is something you should try to reach (not lots under, not lots over) consistently. Within that, it makes sense to look at protein as a minimum.

(Eating too much protein is maybe a problem if you have a preexisting health condition that would be aggravated, such as kidney disease; or if you eat so much protein it drives out other nutrition you need, like fats and veggies/fruits for micronutrients and fiber.)

Since you eat food, and are logging your food with MFP, look at how much protein you get from your food (such as the turkey in your sandwiches), before the protein powder. If that's consistently lower than your protein goal, either eat more protein-containing foods within your calorie goal (preferred), or use protein powder to make up the typical shortage. There's no need to be exactly exact with the protein goal, either. A little under one day, a little over the next, so it more or less averages out around or above your protein goal: That's fine.

You also need a certain minimum of fats for health, and ideally plenty of varied, colorful veggies/fruits.

If you're not logging your food routinely, maybe spot check a couple of typical days, and use that info to decide on your protein supplementation amount.

Powdered things like that are to supplement deficiencies, not a substitute for other foods. If all you were eating was protein powder, that would be a really bad idea, for nutrition and health.

If you lose weight at a sensible rate (not too fast, not too slow), averaged over 4-6 weeks; and get enough protein, fats, and veggies/fruits, that's perfect.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

Those numbers are based on an assumption of healthy bodyfat %. Unless you are a muscular 365 lbs, it really doesn't apply to you. Bodyfat doesn't need protein to maintain it.
  • Theoldguy1
    Please see my post above. His calculation methodology isn't right but it works out that his protein consumption is reasonable.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Just a word of advice - I wouldn't swear off all weight lifting because of your arm issue. There is still a ton of weight lifting you could do without using your arm (i.e. lower body stuff, modified versions of upper body stuff, etc). If you are lifting for work as much as you say, lifting weights will also help you in that regard (as well as with overall body comp).
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    edited July 2021
    2,400 calorie max sounds about right. I would suggest giving yourself a 'minimum' amount of calories as well since it sounds like you have a phsyically demanding job and need the energy.

The protien powder sounds a little high. Sounds like you would get more than the recommended 10-35%

Good luck. Thanks for the job you do
  • Theoldguy1
    edited July 2021
    EyeOTS wrote: »
    2,400 calorie max sounds about right. I would suggest giving yourself a 'minimum' amount of calories as well since it sounds like you have a phsyically demanding job and need the energy.

The protien powder sounds a little high. Sounds like you would get more than the recommended 10-35%

Good luck. Thanks for the job you do

The OP says he's eating 2400 calories a day and 165g of protein. 165g * 4 cal/gram of protein = 660 calories from protein.

660 calories / 2400 calories = 27.5%. Well within the guidelines for protein as a % of daily calories.

Without more details of the OP's diet, there may be a better way for him to get the protein than relying on 120g out of 165g from protein powder, but the amount of protein he's consuming is reasonable.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    I would take off the diet those sandwiches. why not to have any meat with green veggies? you can add as much veggies as you desire. they can be raw or cooked, don t matter. But bread does triple edged harm to your program of loosing weight; It increase insulin, it stops your glucagon from releasing, it doesn 't allow your hormones work on the side of burning fat. In opposite any carbs make your body to continue use glucose for energy instead of your own fat. As long as you supply you body with chip carbs energy, it never digs in to hard-earned fat on your sides and butt. The nature created fat for the dificult situations like famine, hunger, fast. It will use easy burner such a glucose until it stops to come by. It is in you hands to create this environment, when your cells starve. Very simple and easy to switch, but reword is dramatic.
  • natasor1
    Moderation doesn't work. The food you eat has message for the body to release that or another hormones. What you do by eating carbs, just sent message to you cells to forget about fat in the body storage and burn just obtained carbs. It's easy to do, cells quickly burn it and ask about more. The fat burning requires some hard work from the cells. It is the individual's choise to make cells to go to the dificult path of digging in to stored fat to produce energy
  • natasor1
    Carbs are not the enemy, I agree completely. For people with normal metabolism. Unfortunately, this particular spin is about obese person 365 lb at 6 ft tall. So imagine how much stored fat he has to use as fuel. Unfortunately, exactly this way of eating brought him to the point when he has to change something. Now it s time to choose another way to eat and use those carbs. It is defenetely won't be the end of the world if he get some carbs then and there, it is just slows the combustion of his stored fat.
    I don t think he can make a damage to his body, with such tremendous storage. The body is not stupid, it find those storages and will take care of their disposal.
    Carbs are not what body prefers, this what body use first, not because is tasteire or more advantageose. It is presisely opposite: bc it wants to dispose it as quick as possible in order to low the blood glucose to the normal level, which is 5g for whole blood volume (80-100 mcg per g-liter). Higher than that what does big damages in all systems of the body.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Lots of good info here.
    One thing I just want to point out. While your plan is not crazy or anything it might be hard to sustain for the long haul. A good amount of your nutrition is based on protein shakes. If you love them you might be ok hit for me they get boring quickly. Once in a while- fine but 5 a day- yuck (for me). Maybe works for you though.
    Why not try to mix in some other quick protein sources- Greek yogurt, whole or skim milk, beans, meat etc. Even at truck stops etc you can get Greek yogurt, nuts, sandwiches, chili, jerky etc.