still diet coke free....

Options
Well, it has been 1 full week....yes 7 long days, and NO DIET COKE!! Besides quitting smoking, I think this is probably one of the hardest things I have done....

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    UGH, i feel you. i haven't had a cigarrette in about 6 days, and a soda in twice as long.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    why give up dc?
  • pitarms
    Options
    bump
  • michelellawrence
    Options
    great job on the smoking!! It is so hard, but soooo worth it once you kick it.. I quit the first of January, and hope to never go back!! Keep up the great work!
  • clane_tx
    Options
    I tried many times to kick my diet coke habit but it took salmonella poisoning (not from diet coke :smile: ) to get me over it. It has been 6 years and still diet coke free! I wish you the best of luck and sincerely hope that you are able to do it without the help of food poisoning!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    soda takes about a full month to kick
  • BunnyBeau
    Options
    Good for you and I actually believe regular coke is better than diet coke.
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Options
    I have been diet soda free now for 4 months! It gets easier as time goes on :))

Edited to add: I do not drink regular soda either. I have decided not to "drink" my calories.
  • gingermim
    gingermim Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking 10 years ago...no let me rephrase that I choose not to have a cigarette anymore...10 years ago. A young friend of mine told me I smelt like his Grampa who smoked the same brand of cigarettes and that was the push I needed. Who needs to hear something like that!!! As for diet coke I had one today the first all week, I find when I am being really good on my food plan then I do not crave diet coke..possibly because of all the water that I consume (16 glasses/day).
    Good luck to you and much success on your journey to good health.
  • MarthaRN
    MarthaRN Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i have been giving things up gradually. diet mountain dew was my drink. i work nights and thought it was my pick me up. now i realize i am more awake without it. stay strong, it is worth it.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have cut back to 1 diet coke a day. Boy is it hard. Good luck
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    With the exception of one can after staying up for 24 hours straight, I have been Diet Coke free since March 6th. It was the main soda/pop I drank and I drank way to much of it. I don't drink any pop/soda, opting for green tea, lemonade, and water(and it is mostly this...). :happy: I still enjoy having a beer or two as well...:wink:
  • katep2492
    katep2492 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    We need DCA (Diet cokes anonymous) It is very addicting like I have not had one in a week and then tonight my friend was drinking one and I really thought I might attack him for it I feel like an addict haha damn soda anyways I have been regular coke free for 4 years now!
  • slippymcgee
    Options
    Good for you!! I know it's hard, but so much better for you. Aspartame is awful for you...
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Good job! I did the same several months ago. I cheated yesterday and had one at the movie and OMG I am feeling it today. Let's just say doing the jumping jacks in the 30 Day Shred was a tad painful tonight! If you miss the fiz I recommend La Croix as it is natural and has not artificial sweeteners.

Oh and when I go out now I ask for seltzer water with a lime. My husband started getting it and he said it's great!
  • NHLove88
    NHLove88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's been 13 days for me, I still can't believe it.. I use to have one every single day!
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS! I gave up Soda, carbonated beverages, and artificial sweeteners in 2005. I look back at pictures from that time -- I was drinking a 6-pack or two-liter a day! -- and I was so bloated!
    why give up dc?

There is mounting evidence that artificial sweeteners actually contribute to weight gain! If I understand correctly, it goes something like this: When we consume substances with a particular molecular pattern (like the family of various sugars), our bodies expect a certain caloric load, i.e. amount of energy, to come with it. When we take in the artificial sweeteners that have their structure altered so that they still taste sweet, but don't have the calories, our bodies get confused. In response, two things happen. 1) we crave MORE of the artificial substance because our bodies are trying to get the expected calories, and 2) when we do have the "real thing" more of that caloric energy is stored as fat because our bodies' setting for that has changed.

This theory is not entirely proven, but it is interesting to ponder. Here are some links:
    http://health.msn.com/healthy-living/the-4-best-and-3-worst-sweeteners-to-have-in-your-kitchen?imageindex=1
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/MY00073

In addition to the artificial sweeteners in Diet Colas, there is the issue of carbonation. The Wikipedia article on "Soft drinks" cites studies that correlate the carbonation in soft drinks with loss of bone density. Another link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_soda

Anyway, it just seems better to avoid the stuff and just drink water and tea! For more flavor, put in a squeeze of citrus. Yum. :happy:
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    come back to the dark side!!! Lol, jking, great work
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    why did you give up diet coke just out of curiosity? I drink 2-3 a day and am wondering if its hindering my weight loss. It has 0 calories and no sugar so its not affecting my insulin levels. I'm being serious here because I asked my doc about it a few months ago and he said research has shown it has no bearing on weight loss. Regular sodas loaded with sugar are a different story. I know aspertame is not good for you... but neither is the sun so if its my only vice...why quit?
  • k2thaj
    Options
    Great job! I quit smoking about two weeks ago but I did it when I knew it was time, I was ready to quit which made it pretty easy actually. My goal is to eventually give up soda as well, I drink nothing but diet but I would like to stick to just water and juices and skim milk. Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!