zumba!!!

Options
i do not see how some people are burning so many calories doing zumba. i have seen people list they burnt 800-1000 calories. MFP says i burn about 276 in a 45min zumba class. i wore my bodybugg to class today and it said i burnt 337 which is more but no where near these high numbers i am seeing and i come out of class covered in sweat!

Replies

• Jesse13
    Options
    Here Here, I think some people may move faster or their dance is a bit more intense. I am a slow dancer, and that is why I am burning about 300 calories per session. But, I am so impressed with the people that are reaching 700+

Of course...Body weight, height, and age makes a difference
  • Brittshae
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing!!! I can't even find Zumba on the list. I believe some people are adding it to their cardio list and are making up these numbers.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    If they weigh a lot more than you they burn a lot more than you. Also, as others have said, the amount of effort or intensity will vary calories too.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I wear my heart rate monitor, weigh 160ish, and burn usually between 500 and 700 calories, depending on my energy level usually. The Zumba calories website above was roughly accurate for me when I picked medium intensity
  • rhiannonchallans
    Options
    It all depends how much you weigh. The closer to goal you get, the less calories you will burn doing the same things. I think you'll find the people burning more may be bigger than you.

Not scientific fact, but my theory is the bigger you are the more you burn?
  • leilani♥
    Options
    Depends on how hard you're pumping it. After a intense song I check my heart rate and its usually about 160ish ( I don't own a HRM ) I swear in my class there's about 5 of us out of 40 that dance H-A-R-D. I want a good workout so I personally bring it. I take my pulse several times during class & get the average from there and calculate my calories burned from a heart rate calories burned calculator. It's anywhere from 500-800 for me.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i am 5'7 and weigh 130lbs. i feel like i workout pretty hard. i incorpate alot of hand movements to get my heart rate up and i am always covered in sweat when i leave. yet my bodbugg says i only burned 337 calories.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    It all depends how much you weigh. The closer to goal you get, the less calories you will burn doing the same things. I think you'll find the people burning more may be bigger than you.

Not scientific fact, but my theory is the bigger you are the more you burn?

That is a scientific fact, and a common reason for a plateau. People forget to lower their calories to account for their decreased current size :)
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
  • leilani♥
    Options
    i am 5'7 and weigh 130lbs. i feel like i workout pretty hard. i incorpate alot of hand movements to get my heart rate up and i am always covered in sweat when i leave. yet my bodbugg says i only burned 337 calories.

Ah yes at that weight & height it's going to be harder for you to burn calories like I do since I'm about 35 lbs heavier than you (same height) :P
  • pudgy0602
    Options
    I'm 5ft. and weigh 227 and I burn anywhere between 330 to 420 calories and that's dancing for 45 mins.
  • shdrakes
    Options
    Thanks for that link, I was wondering how many calories I burn during my 1 hour zumba class!