Is it harder to lose weight once you gained it back?

Options
I recently got off my diet/exercise plan and gained weight back. I am now ready to jump back in.

My question is since I lost a lot of weight and gained weight back will it be harder to lose that weight or the same as it was before if I am doing the same exact routine?

Replies

• weight3049
    weight3049 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I ask this question because I know it's really easy to gain weight back after losing it due to metabolism change(?).

Was just curious on this matter.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I found it harder mentally because I knew what I needed to do just didn't implement it as I kept telling myself that I can get back at it and I lost it before.I think need to find another strong motivator
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Metabolism doesn't vary much.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Metabolism does change as you age. But if you lost and then regained the weight not too long ago, you shouldn't see much of a difference in the difficulty of losing that weight.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If anything I find it easier after I have a bit of a break from logging and gain a couple of kilos back which I do from time to time. I suppose it renews motivation and it's good to have a break from meticulous logging and being perpetually slightly hungry most of the time.
  • anna1m
    anna1m Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the reason you gained this time. If it was due to depression or another emotional reason, it could be harder to lose just because you will most likely need another way to cope than eating. Depression can be from low dopamine or serotonin. Dopamine in particular is needed for motivation. So if those are low, it's harder to find the mental energy to feel like sticking to anything that makes you uncomfortable.or requires a lot of energy.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I regained twice, once about 30 kg, and the second about 8 kg. In both cases, it wasn't harder. In fact, it was more streamlined with less time wasted experimenting because I already knew what works for me.

Keep in mind, if you haven't regained all the weight you've lost, you're starting at a lower weight. This means weight loss might go slower than when you first started.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    weight3049 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I ask this question because I know it's really easy to gain weight back after losing it due to metabolism change(?).

Was just curious on this matter.

My understanding is that significant metabolism changes only happen under extreme circumstances, like losing half your body weight really quickly as they do on The Biggest Loser.

Also, if someone does a lot of yoyoing and loses a lot of muscle each time, that could make things more challenging, but not insurmountable. That's why people are ill-advised to wait until they reach their goal weight to start strength training.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I think one of the big, major disadvantages to losing fast is sort of touched upon by what Claireychn said. That you need fewer calories to maintain a smaller body.

You need (roughly) 10 fewer calories for each pound of body weight lost - or 100 fewer per 10 pounds. You go hard, you lose fast, and your calorie allotment drops fast.

That is MUCH harder to adjust to than just having it drop by 10-20 calories at a time. There's no real ADJUSTMENT period with fast lost. So you lose fast, your calorie allotment is a lot lower, and then you're done. Without ever having had an adjustment period from a slow decrease in calories. Also you're probably extra hungry because of the aggressive loss/big deficit.

So, regain makes sense. You're hungry, you need 700 calories (random number) fewer to maintain your new weight AND you were doing some crazy 1000 calorie deficit and half starved all the time on top. You get to your goal weight and. well.

As for ease of loss after regain. I. I suspect there are a few minor physical factors and some big psychological ones. Including the fact that once you have 'failed' your self-confidence is shaken. In many things in life people who have no reason to know something is hard/supposedly impossible/whatever have the most success.
  • wolftrucking08
    wolftrucking08 Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Here is the answer I give my clients..Yes and No

No... Because you destroyed your adversary (poor health) before, you know what needs to happen and its up to you to dig deep, apply yourself and do it. Just like the Terminator movie franchise; The first one Sarah Connor destroyed the first terminator, there will always be another to try again and so far they all have been destroyed. Just like you and I its a fight that we must win.
    Yep, I just aged myself.

Yes.. The toughest part is breaking poor nutrition and sedentary lifestyle you have readopted. I say readopted because we are all born healthy, WE made poor decisions that resulted in our being out of shape and overweight to begin with. SUCCESS MEANS BEING SELFISH and putting yourself first. Also,we must measure and weigh EVERYTHING we put into our bodies, and motivate ourselves to exercise; even if it means leaving those who don't want it behind in their current condition.
    The good news is once you again get pats the fifteen to thirty day mark it will become second nature again. Loved ones will see your results, and since you are putting your money where your mouth is, they will eventually join you.

• Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Good news! I find it easier.
    When I first lost my weight, there was a lot of learning and experimenting involved. Sometimes these experiments failed- eg if I eat a big lunch I still want a big dinner but if I eat a smaller lunch dinner stays the same. Another- If I workout before a meal, the meal takes care of my hunger- but if I workout an hour or two after a meal- I’m starved and want to eat again.
    These experiments will have different outcomes for everyone - I have friends who are not hungry after working out for example.
    But now you’ve already done a lot of that so you know what works and what doesn’t for you.
    I stay in a 10 lb range thanks to some great advice I received here on the forum. The first time I lost that last 10 lbs it took forever. Now I feel like if I get to the top of my range in a few weeks I can get back- easy.