Time for Body recomposition?

Options
Bit of a long story but very confused after reading so much conflictining information online.

Started off in May 2020 at a body weight of 19 stone (266 pounds) and weight trained and did cardio for several months during isolation in lockdown until the end of December. Tracked daily calories on My Fitness Pal set to lose 2 pounds per week and hit target every day with my finsihing weight being at 12 stone 8 pounds (176 pounds). Unfortunately I wasn't getting anywhere near enough protein and lost a lot of muscle as well as fat (only eating 80-90 grmas per day). Then from December to February 2021 I lost control and went on a massive binge session gaining back a lot of weight and weighing in at 16 stone 2 (226 pounds) at the start of February 2021.

Restarted cutting calories again this time getting at least 1g of protein per day per pound of body weight and lifting doing full body workouts 3 times per week with cardio 30 mins 3 times per week as well. Working in retail I'm very active at work and hit calorie targets daily in order to lose 2 pounds per week. Progress has been great and today I weighed in at 11 stone 9 pounds (163 pounds) with a body fat of 17.2% and muscle at around 40%. I feel much better this time around but weight loss has stalled last month or so being very slow, in addition the last few weeks I've got a lack of energy most days and feel like progress is slowing a bit but is still ongoing.

A lot of people are commenting that I shouldnt lose any more weight but I've still got a bit of fat around my belly which I'd like to lose. I'm thinking of taking a break from being in a deficit now and trying to hit maintenance calories whilst continuing with lifting 3 times per week and cardio at least 3 times per week as well. I'm still in a very active job and can burn 4000-5000 calories on a long day and eat to make up for this and have done this since February.

My aim is too try to now increase my muscle % and decrease my body fat a bit more. Reading around I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do or not? Some say I should carry on cutting until I'm at the body fat % I want to be at (which I'm not sure on number wise) and other places I read I should be taking a break? I've read through the body recompostion thread but still not sure what to do.

Last thing I want to do is get carried away and put a lot of weight back on. I'm determined to keep controlling what I'm eating and doing things right. Just concerned I've been in a deficit for so long and can't carry on long term.

Sorry for the long read. Any advice on what to do next? Bit stuck tbh and would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I think maintenance would be a good idea. How tall are you? How many calories are you eating now?
  • deanonumber10
    deanonumber10 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sorry missed that out I’m a 5 foot 11 male (34 years old) and on days off eating 1,500 calories and on work days eating 1750 - 1800 plus any extra calories burned off through exercise. Got a Smart watch that says some days I burn up to 4000 calories but a bit skeptical on that number.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes it sounds like maintaining weight at least for a while is a good idea for you. It doesn't commit you to maintaining forever but it does sound like you could at least benefit from a diet break.
    Strength/resistance training is a great thing to do whether you are losing, maintaining or gaining.

If you think you current weight is a good weight for you then there isn't any need to do a cut and bulk cycle unless that appeals to you. That's a technique more suited to advanced trainees with lofty body composition goals.

There's a long running recomp thread in the Maintaining Weight forum.
    Well worth reading at least the first few pages and you will also find some recently posted videos on the last page from respected trainers.
  • deanonumber10
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I’ve read through the first few pages of that thread.

I’m now pretty certain I’m going to go for a body recomposition for a while.

How should I approach it though? Should I just jump straight in and hit maintenance calories tomorrow or gradually increase up to it over days and weeks?

Also at the moment I’m weight training doing full body workouts 3 times per week followed by cardio for 30 mins also 3 times.

I’m open to change this. Should I try a split body workout with more/less cardio? I’m really enjoying the exercise but not sure what’s best?
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance or a VERY slight deficit and run a structured lifting program. If you're a relatively novice lifter, something like Strong Lifts 5X5 may be a good option for you. Lot of great info here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Recomp takes time; a healthy dose of patience is needed as well.
  • sijomial
    Options
    "How should I approach it though? Should I just jump straight in and hit maintenance calories tomorrow or gradually increase up to it over days and weeks? "

Doesn't really matter, some people like to go up in steps, some prefer just to flip straight to estimated maintenance levels. You will probably have to make adjustments either way over time.

"Also at the moment I’m weight training doing full body workouts 3 times per week followed by cardio for 30 mins also 3 times.
    I’m open to change this. Should I try a split body workout with more/less cardio? I’m really enjoying the exercise but not sure what’s best?"

Without knowing your liffting experience, what time you have available, it's hard to say. Do have a look at the list of programs linked above for options.
    Enjoying training certainly helps with consistency. 3 times a week can be good but so can splitting up your weekly volume in a load of different ways too, there isn't one option that is best for all. There's unlikely to one best pattern for the entirity of your lifting life either.
    If you are progressing with increasing strength/weights at a decent rate plus enjoying your current training then maybe don't change but review if progress stalls.

No idea what your cardio is (cardio covers an extraordinary wide ranges of exercises and intensities) or what your goals are from it. Why would you consider doing less when you aren't doing much at all? Is it because you feel your active job is enough or some other reason?

• deanonumber10
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I just went straight to maintenance calories yesterday and planning to keep at that for a while. Think its 90% a mental thing but feels loads better already and had my workout just now and for the first time in weeks increased my lifts slightly and found cardio easier.

I've been lifting doing 3 full body workouts a week for around about a year with cardio straight after. Worked and got results so think ill keep at that for a while and reassess.

My cardio at the moment is moderate to high intensity for 30 mins a sessions on rowing machine and elliptical trainer at home. Read elsewhere doing too much can burn you out but not feeling that way during it so will carry on for a bit like this maybe?
  • sijomial
    Options
    Read elsewhere doing too much can burn you out but not feeling that way during it so will carry on for a bit like this maybe?

Too much needs context! :smiley:
    (At age 61 last month I averaged 13 hours a week of cardio, still made good progress in the gym but I did have to cut down from x3 to x2 a week weights sessions to manage my overall training load.)
    Too much also varies and switching from deficit to maintenance will have raised your capabilities.
    Too much also varies as your fitness improves.
    I would always be wary of interpreting articles using "can" as will.

If you feel your cardio is interfering with your primary goal then that's the time to cut down duration and/or intensity but for overall health a blend of both cardio and strength is great.
  • deanonumber10
    Options
    Quick for anyone who cares lol. Been on maintenance for 2 weeks now. My lifts have all increased almost every wokout I feel tons better with much more energy and sat at about the same weight. Feel stronger though and tons better for doing this. Thanks for everyones advice. Much appreciated.

Been sticking to full body workouts 3 days a week followed by 30 mins of moderately intense cardio straight after. Will continue to see how it goes.