How much weight can water weight be

About 1 year ago i was 360pounds 6ft i got down to 202 my goal is 190 well 5 days ago i had a relapse and ate about 10k cals at a party my weight had gone up to 207 i thought ok must be water weight 2 days later was down to 205 and was like ok 3 pounds for that cheat day sucks but its fine thats my punishment 2 days after that i had 2500 calories 1 day and 1500 the next i get on scale 208! so i look at my food logs and altho calories been in check my sodium has been like extremely high can 6 pounds really be all water weight? is that possible?

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited July 2021
    Yep, it sure can be. I am smaller than you and often have swings of 4 pounds or so due to sodium and exercise in one day, 6 in a couple of days isn’t fat-fetched.

With a 10k surplus it’s also possible that as much as 3 lbs is actual gain. 3,500 calories to make a pound of fat. But mostly such big binges don’t all get digested and stored as fat, so probably a little less.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    Please don’t laugh. I am habitually dehydrated, so I’ve made it a game to drink 12 three-ounce Dixie cups of water the minute I get out of bed, so I know I’ve started my day off well hydrated.

Out of curiousity, I weighed myself before and after the other day. My scale does tenths of pounds.

The difference was exactly 2 pounds. Makes absolute sense. 12x3=36 ounces.

Water is heavy. Think about holding a gallon of milk or a case of 8oz water bottles. That’s a pretty substantial weight.

I think at the degree of weight loss we’ve both had, that the infrequent pig out is something our bodies can now cope with and readily expel, but as you say, you it clearly marks it as water weight for a few days.

In a way, I’m grateful it does, because I need that cold tingly reminder the Day After that I better not get in the habit of doing that again.

And sweetie, one day of screwing up is not a relapse. It was a good time and I sincerely hope you enjoyed yourself and didn’t have my usual Day After regrets of “Damn. If I’d known that was going to cost that many calories, I’d have spent them on something better!” 😂

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I weigh 136lbs right now.

One really high sodium day will EASILY gain me 4lbs of scale weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Considering that I've dropped 6 pounds overnight - when that was a much larger percentage of my bodyweight compared to what you're seeing, besides - I'll say yes, 6 pounds can be water weight.

Details here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10679961/this-never-happened-before-fun-with-weight-fluctuations#latest

Is/was it 6 pounds of water weight, in your situation? Harder question. 🤷‍♀️

Also, I agree with others: If I eat a massively unusual amount, thousands above my maintenance calories, I don't normally see as much fat gain as the number of excess calories might imply. Things that do tend to happen in the next 24 hours: Unusual hot flashes, higher resting heart rate . . . .

I've eaten 2 or more times my maintenance calories in a day, quite a number of times, in the 5+ years I've been in weight maintenance . . . staying at a healthy weight the whole time, though I won't deny some ups and downs well within the healthy range, over that timespan.

If you want some science on why an exceptionally high day, rarely, may not resulted in the fat gain equal to 1 pound for each 3500 excess calories, look up Stephanie Buttermore's two YouTube videos about the 10,000 calorie challenge, one about the eating, one about follow-up lab testing. I'm not going to link the videos here because I don't know how to make them links rather than (annoying) in-line video, but they're easy to find. Make sure you get her videos, not someone else's retrial, review or commentary on hers.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Also, I agree with others: If I eat a massively unusual amount, thousands above my maintenance calories, I don't normally see as much fat gain as the number of excess calories might imply. Things that do tend to happen in the next 24 hours: Unusual hot flashes, higher resting heart rate . . . .

Yes! This!!!!!

After a high calorie day: night sweats, insomnia, headache, restlessness, muscle aches, joint stiffness, morning malaise.

In fact, enough discomfort that simply knowing it’s coming sometimes staves off the pig out, or at least makes me reel it in.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Yup. 4 - 5 lbs is not unusual for me, and 6 or 7 was possible back when I weighed ~205.
  • PaymanLux
    PaymanLux Posts: 23 Member
    I see my weight swing up and down 5 pounds constantly and think most of that is water weight. Someone recently mentioned to me that they see a 3 pound swing in their own weight that could be contributed to water.
  • wolftrucking08
    wolftrucking08 Posts: 24 Member
    I get this type of question from my clients often.
    Realistically 5 lbs is not earth shattering failure. I feel the effect when I allow myself to have a reward meal and allow myself to have bread and cheesecake.
    Question: How often are you weighing in? I recommend no more than 1-2 times a week because your weight will swing 3-5 lbs from one day to the next.
    If it is water weight, you got back on track with intake and exercise water weight will shed within a couple days to a week. If you still have the weight after a week then you need to look at your recent nutrition and exercise and make appropriate adjustments.
    You can attempt a 24 our fast to reset your system as well; its not as tough as it sounds. If you have never done a 24 hour try doing a 16 hour a couple times to warm up. DO NOT fast more than two - three days a week and only once a month. this avoids under-nutrition, and your body getting used to it. If you are diabetic monitor your glucose throughout the fast. You can have zero calorie fluids like water, coffee, tea, unsweetened Jello, will help with cravings. I recommend you limit drinks with sodium and potasium like Gatorade to 1 liter/quart per day to avoid retaining water.
    Your fast starts after you eat dinner. I recommend a low carb day before fasting and Finnish eating at least 2 hours before bed that will start your fast. You sleep 8 hours and when you wake up you are 10 hours into it. Hydrate and stay hydrated, find easy tasks to keep your mind and body active, until diner. When you do eat eat a low carb 500 calorie meal, no desert. Just like the night leading up in bed 2 hours after eating. Reset complete.
    Stay away from the voodoo cleansing drinks all they will do is dehydrate you.
    Never allow yourself cheat days because only one day can easily destroy weeks worth of work. Instead plan a single reward meal.
    This involves strategy because EVERYTHING has to be on point, only once every two weeks You may go over on one macro carbs or sugar but try to keep the rest within range.
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    If I ate bad for one day my weight can jump 10+ lbs. My body retains water very easily.
  • PaymanLux
    PaymanLux Posts: 23 Member
    Today I decided that I will only register my lowest weight each day on myfitnesspal but of course my notebook will keep all the data saved. I noticed that the cycle of fluctuation isn't 24 hours and sometimes I retain waterweight over several days. On a day off while resting I will urinate excessively, nearly a whole gallon sometimes.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Here's a deep dive I did on a particularly big water weight swing I observed
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10672255/examination-of-outlying-scale-fluctuation#latest