The jeans

Options
SisterSueGetsFit
SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
This is going to be a somewhat long and self indulgent post, so apologies in advance.

These jeans have a story. One that is very important to me. About 5.5 years ago I was fat. I was unhappy. I was not a good version of me. My clothes didn’t fit. I’d had enough. I needed to quit signing my own *kitten*. January 1, 2016 I decided to change that.

Since very few of my clothes fit I, went out to buy some new jeans. I wanted to buy them on sale because my goal was that they wouldn’t fit in a month. I went to The Limited and found a cute pair, size 14, for $12.00. There was one other pair of the same, size 2, also $12. On a whim, I bought them both. It was lofty, but I thought, maybe someday. 13 months later, those pants fit. Now, I FULLY ACKNOWLEDGE this is vanity sizing at its absolute worse, and a bit a stretch in the fabric… but they fit. I wept. I’m not sure I had ever been more proud of anything I had ever accomplished.

As time went on, I gained back about 15-20 (sometimes-up to 25) pounds of those originally lost. But, I just couldn’t part with those pants. Those pants were representative of the fight I knew I had in me.

As anyone who reads my posts know, I really tried again in 2021. There have been ups and there have been downs. There have recently been more ups than downs, but it’s a daily struggle and requires a very (not always achieved) concentrated effort.

Yesterday I was going through some clothes and taking them to Goodwill. I stumbled upon these pants. Still unable to get rid of them, I tossed them into the corner. This morning while cleaning up, I tried them on to see how far I had to go before they fit again. Guess what, they fit. They are snug, but they fit.

I’m not done. I haven’t even come close to meeting my goals. But, I did cry again this morning when these fit. These are so much more than a cheap pair of jeans to me. They are a reminder of what I i’m capable of. They are a reminder not to quit and they are a reminder that just because you fall down, doesn’t mean you need to stay there.rsybqitrobmi.jpeg

Replies

• DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    @SisterSueGetsFit

Congratulations! Your determination speaks volumes! Love that these jeans are a reminder that you are stronger than you may thinks at times, when we fall (and most of do), as long as we get back up, dust ourselves off and start again...we re winners! Congratulations again!
  • JUJUEU
    JUJUEU Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A very nice jeans story. I love it. Congratulations. I'm looking forward to sharing my own jean story soon.
  • BraydanTaffy
    BraydanTaffy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful! Well done!
  • Fitnessheavenkeryn
    Fitnessheavenkeryn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have two pairs of 'jeans'. Still can't get into them. Have put them in bags to take to charity and pulled them again. Completely relate. Well done.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    DeeDee2211 wrote: »
    @SisterSueGetsFit

Congratulations! Your determination speaks volumes! Love that these jeans are a reminder that you are stronger than you may thinks at times, when we fall (and most of do), as long as we get back up, dust ourselves off and start again...we re winners! Congratulations again!

Thank you. Yes, most of us fall...it's the getting back up that's important.
    AnnofB wrote: »
    That is so awesome. Slipping into your "target" jeans is something beyond just stepping on the scale. It's makes it more real, doesn't it?

It took me many , many tries to reach my goal. And after I did, for quite a while, when I shopped for clothes I would go to the larger sizes because it was hard for me to believe I could now wear small's and mediums and 8's and 10's.

If you are wearing a size 2, even if you think it's due to vanity sizing, you are most likely not far from you goal. You CAN do it. You ARE doing it now, every day. So... just keep going.

Looking forward to seeing the "I DID IT!" post from you. 🙂

It absolutely makes it more real. And I totally agree about shopping and not quite believing what sizes you actually wear now. I always say it's such a mind F*#K. It takes a long time to see a smaller person in the mirror.

I will look forward to posting the "I DID IT" pictures. :smiley:
    JUJUEU wrote: »
    A very nice jeans story. I love it. Congratulations. I'm looking forward to sharing my own jean story soon.

I look forward to seeing your Jeans Story.
    coblujay wrote: »
    I have that pair of jeans, just in a 16. They still have the tag on and I bought them seven or eight years ago. I'm planning to get there, wear those jeans for a few weeks and blow right past. I tried them on and actually zipped them up once about six years ago. I hope to be able to wear my jeans out later this year. Bravo!!

I'm rooting for you. You CAN do it.
    solieco1 wrote: »
    What a well told and wonderfully inspiring story <3 I too have a pair, in fact they are even in my profile description as an ultimate goal. They are a pair of low rise gap white jeans that hung in my closet unworn like an indictment for many a year. Well, now they are almost too big. Or at least they were 3 months ago, before COVID hit us hard and life got very complicated. I think I'll go try them on this morning. And now, because of you, I'll be inspired not depressed if they are too snug to wear again. Thanks and huge congratulations on "THE Jeans".

Thank you so much. This made me tear up. Let us know how the white jeans are fitting!!!
    I love this! For me it was a knit pencil dress many sizes less than what I was wearing, which I insanely bought the week I started.

I hung it sideways in my closet so it was the first thing I saw every time I walked in. I had to move it to get underneath to my clothes. I talked to it. Stroked it. Whispered sweet nothings to it.

The day I got in that dress was one of the best of my life. It was an achievement.

I can completely relate; obviously. :smiley: I like the idea of hanging an item sideways... I have a new pair of goal pants. They've never fit, but I bought them because I loved them so much. I'm hoping with the next 15 pounds I can finally wear them.
    You look beautiful! Well done!

Thank you!
    I have two pairs of 'jeans'. Still can't get into them. Have put them in bags to take to charity and pulled them again. Completely relate. Well done.

I'm glad you took them back out. It's fun to have a goal to work towards. Be sure to post when they fit!
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    What a well told and wonderfully inspiring story <3 I too have a pair, in fact they are even in my profile description as an ultimate goal. They are a pair of low rise gap white jeans that hung in my closet unworn like an indictment for many a year. Well, now they are almost too big. Or at least they were 3 months ago, before COVID hit us hard and life got very complicated. I think I'll go try them on this morning. And now, because of you, I'll be inspired not depressed if they are too snug to wear again. Thanks and huge congratulations on "THE Jeans".

The white jeans fit <3 Not as loose as a couple of months ago but they FIT. However, now that there's less *kitten* they're too long :D:D:D

Yay!!! Go buy a little hem tape. I swear by the stuff. Congratulations!
  • FABRICWOMAN
    FABRICWOMAN Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your triumphant entry back to the "light". I have a very dear friend who is way thinner than I am. She was getting rid of some clothes to give to the Goodwill. There were two dresses that I just loved. Since I was the person taking them for her, I stopped the car and rummaged through the garbage bag until I found them. Those two dresses are secretly hung up in my closet, and I so look forward to showing up at her house with one of them on. I will have arrived! I use to feel guilty about doing this, but I look upon it as motivation and a goal I am aiming for now.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,338 Member
    Options
    Great work!

I have a tshirt that says “Pretty fly for a Jedi” that I got for $3 at a going out of business sale a couple years ago. It’s been on my dress dummy that I also don’t use because it’s too small. ☹️

I tried it on a few days ago. It’s a bit tight, but it does fit.

Unfortunately, my favorite shirt from back when I was losing weight over a decade ago is still too small. So it’s going to be a great day when I fit it again.

It is a black babydoll cut, with “If you’re really a goth, where were you when we sacked Rome?”
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!